Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating & ESB - first time renter query

Options
  • 23-01-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A small appartment I'm looking at has €50 per month tagged on the info on Daft as heating costs. Is this normal? Strange how it would be every month, ie: including warm ones, and no more expensive for freezing ones.

Is there a usual and standard way these two costs are handeled? Are they usually built in to the rent figure, or do they usually come as seperate bills for the occupier to pay?

Obviously I'll be asking the LL this, but wanted to check the norm first.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I would assume that is the average cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

UDP wrote: »
    I would assume that is the average cost.

If so, that's fair enough. Just wanted to check with those in the know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

If so, that's fair enough. Just wanted to check with those in the know.
    I'm only assuming really so maybe someone else knows better but like you said LL is the best place to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

€50 per month is a bit high for a small apartment.

I'm in a 3 bed apartment and last year it was about €400 for the year.

Will it be just you in the apartment? Rather than paying €50 per month I'd ask could have be in charge of the heating yourself i.e. have the bill in your name.

The Landlord might pay this by DD and not have a bill sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just checked mine. I'm in a 1 bed and it averages at about €45 a month. It covers everything in the place. Obviously the type of heating is going to impact on this.

If I was in the OP's situation I'd rather get the bill in my own name. That way you can be as energy efficient as you want to be and is fair for everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement