Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote viewing of CCTV on phones

Options
  • 23-01-2012 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

I am about to attempt to connect up my CCTV DVR with my home network with the eventual idea of remote viewing of cameras via phone.

Has anybody got any suggestions of good apps (free or paid for) for viewing CCTV on android or iPhones? And indeed, any suggestions on how to make the connection to the outside world easier?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Has your DVR got a webserver onboard?
    If so most apps will work fine.
    I find Eagle Eyes very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

KoolKid wrote: »
    Has your DVR got a webserver onboard?
    I don't know as I have only just set it up with the cameras and the documentation is at home. I am only at the beginning of this project. :o.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Can you connect to it over your internal network?

I haven't got that far yet - tonight if I can get some time. I'll report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

You could just use the browser on your phone.
    A lot of new dvrs will allow this

• Advertisement

wait4me wrote: »
    I haven't got that far yet - tonight if I can get some time. I'll report back!

Just in case anybody is holding their collective breaths - I haven't got to this yet and it looks like it will be the weekend before I do. :o

No problem.We'll be here waiting..;)

KoolKid wrote: »
    Can you connect to it over your internal network?
    Lucky ye weren't holding your collective breaths - I just got working on this tonight. :o
    Step 1 - I got it connected to my home network.
    Now to progress (even if it is slowly) to the next stage....

Next stage , forward the ports on your router to the DVRs internal IP address.

Did that I think!

• Advertisement

What ports have you forwarded?

just 80 I found that one linked on the network setup screen to the dvr's ip address

And the machine is set up with port 80 yes?

that's what the dvr network screen is showing me.

And still no access?
    What modem have you got.?

Thanks - I had to give this up as I had to get to bed last night! Will try to get back to it later this evening. Would the fact that I am using upc as an ISP be a factor?

Although not a fixed IP. It rarely changes with UPC.

Right - I have established that port 80 is open on my router. ((Useful site www.canyouseeme.org) I then tried to see the DVR on port 80 by using http://<my IP address>:80 to no avail.

You may need to use IE and install ActivX Its also possible you will have to lower security setting to allow this be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

maybe turn off your firewall temporarily to see if that works for you but remember to turn it back on...

• Advertisement

Some progress! I can now see my DVR through Internet Explorer with Active X. I can also see the DVR on my browser on my Samsung but not the cameras as it needs (I presume ActiveX which of course it cannot have). Not able to connect with any app to the DVR tho and this is now where I am stuck. Thanks KK for all the help so far.

I notice that my installation disc does not have iPhone Viewrer and MobileViewer which the manual said that it had. This may be the piece of the jigsaw that's missing. Will talk to the supplier in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

you need to download i phone viewer thru the app store... it wont be on the manual cd

Just found this on the sales blurb: "Mobile phone viewing requires an internet connection and Network Configuration - Iphone and Windows mobile compatable." Bummer! So the DVR is not accessible on an android phone. Must try with an iTouch.

If the DVR is accessible from a Web browser it will work with an Android app.

My supplier tells me that the android app "A_rams" works - we'll see tonight!

All these generic apps ship the same thing. They simply take the images in the exact same way as a browser.

i-rams on iTouch works fine. However they still have bugs with a_rams on android. Thanks KK for all your help the past few nights. I hope that this thread helps somebody as the common phrase nowadays 'going forward'.

16 Feb: Finally got this on my android phone with a_rams15 ver 0.1.7. Thanks again everybody

Advertisement