Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

caravan sales

Options
  • 23-01-2012 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi ,new to this and i am not sure if in the proper section , but there dosent seem to be many places that sell caravans around . went to 2 places in wexford but didnt have what we wanted and we went to charles camping but they didnt have many 2nd hand vans and when we enquired about new vans the old fella didnt seem bothered about selling us a van or showing us a van and let us walk off. dont think i bother going back to them anyway they seem very expensive compared to the two in wexford.
    All help greatfully accepted
    ZOROL......:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I have to express a family connection - brother-in-law has a caravan park beside (about 50 metres away) beach in Wexford. Depends on whether you want to buy on-site or off-site. He has one supplier who imports them from UK, both new and secondhand and will sell on or off site. There is an additional entry fee for first year (sorry I do not know how much) and annual sub is around €2,000 plus electricity.

The cost of the mobiles obviously varies but I think the general consensus seems to be that he is reasonable with his prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

have you looked on done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

Have you tried newbridge caravans in kildare,,i bought of him it must be about 6yrs ago,and hes ok,,,,he brings them in from the UK and has good clean stuff in great condition,,hes probably not too cheap but it will be a case of geting what you pay for..If he has the one you want with the layout you want you will find it hard to get as clean a one....Ill add i have no connection to this guy.other than as stated above,,,,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maria65

I have one for sale if you're still looking. It's sited in brittas bay in River Valley. It's a 93 caravan so suitable for someone whose starting out to see if caravanning is for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Bought from the UK, found it through a website, happy with the deal - more bang for your buck over there. If you can work a mini-break it means the ferry isnt a dead cost of purchase (but even at that the value should still be there, particularly as you look at more expensive stuff).

Other than those already mentioned there's Buckley's in Mallow, Connaught Caravans in Ballinsloe, a guy about 2 miles south of Charelville (no signs up), another crowd in Cork suburbs with a warehouse showing the caravans.

If selling on Donedeal you'll "have the craic" with various travellers offering you well less than value and insulting your pride and joy (the caravan) along the way. :D This is from recent experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Rocheydub

Newbridge caravans were excellent too IMO. Shopped around a lot, and found their stock and knowledge excellent.

No connection to them at all, just experience talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Bought from the UK, found it through a website, happy with the deal - more bang for your buck over there. If you can work a mini-break it means the ferry isnt a dead cost of purchase (but even at that the value should still be there, particularly as you look at more expensive stuff).

Other than those already mentioned there's Buckley's in Mallow, Connaught Caravans in Ballinsloe, a guy about 2 miles south of Charelville (no signs up), another crowd in Cork suburbs with a warehouse showing the caravans.

If selling on Donedeal you'll "have the craic" with various travellers offering you well less than value and insulting your pride and joy (the caravan) along the way. :D This is from recent experience.

Where's a good place to start researching / looking for a caravan in the UK? What websites are good. Do you pay VRT or equivalent? I've been looking on the done deal for ages now and they seem to be mostly old ones. I dont live near any dealers.

I like the idea of "getting more bang for my buck". I would need to have something decent and roadworthy to travel to France with. ( 5/6 berth, awning, single axle)

And as you say Betsy there's a LOT of "having the craic" sellers on donedeal!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

google.co.uk and take your pick. A lot of secondhand vans are imported by the dealers here from the uk.
    If you have an idea of what make/ model you are looking for then you can narrow down your search.
    No vrt or other duty on import, you will pay vat in the purchase price when you buy anyway.
    5/6 berth single axle will restrict your choice. Awning you probably will have to purchase seperately.
    Try practicalcaravan.com for info and advice, or caravantalk.co.uk.

If looking further afield mobile.de and and click on the campervan tab(click on deutch and you can change language to english). But found that prices can be a bit on the high side in Germany.

Dont bother with France, very expensive and a bit of a nightmare to navigate.

Winter is probably best time for deals as the dealers will be trying to move on stock and its best to buy from a dealer, use cris to verify the providence of any caravan (worth the fee) , lots of hot ones in the uk so be wary of private sales.
    Just my tuppence worth, Best of luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

thanks for replying, a lot there I didn't know. What did you mean about France? Did you mean dont try to buy a caravan there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Yes, dont buy in France as found even very old caravans to be expensive, were some other issues but cant remember what they were at the moment.
    Only downside with UK is sterling is getting expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement