Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What could this be?!

• 23-01-2012 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my Iphone 4 to a 4s...no problems there.

However, I want to sell my Iphone 4 now but there's a major problem in that it's not giving any service to any sims that have been entered.

I have an unlock request in for the phone at the moment but even when I put my current sim into the old phone, it's giving me a searching...and then no service message. It's almost as if as soon as i activated the sim in the new phone, the old one became un-usable.

I have done a lot of things to try and fix this - obviously ringing O2 and Apple (apple just say that it's out of warranty and will be €161 for them to look at it)

I have got a seperate O2 microsim from an O2 store and tried that in the phone - no joy.
    I have synced the phone with various sims through itunes - no joy.
    I have put my old sim back in and restored the phone to factory settings - no joy.

The phone was working perfectly before I upgraded.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my Iphone 4 to a 4s...no problems there.

However, I want to sell my Iphone 4 now but there's a major problem in that it's not giving any service to any sims that have been entered.

I have an unlock request in for the phone at the moment but even when I put my current sim into the old phone, it's giving me a searching...and then no service message. It's almost as if as soon as i activated the sim in the new phone, the old one became un-usable.

I have done a lot of things to try and fix this - obviously ringing O2 and Apple (apple just say that it's out of warranty and will be €161 for them to look at it)

I have got a seperate O2 microsim from an O2 store and tried that in the phone - no joy.
    I have synced the phone with various sims through itunes - no joy.
    I have put my old sim back in and restored the phone to factory settings - no joy.

The phone was working perfectly before I upgraded.

Could it be something as simple as the SIM card not sitting in right? I mess around with a lot of iPhones/iPads and I have seen this happen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Nah, tried 2-3 sims in it.

It's like as if O2 have done something with it, and I have absolutely no comeback now.

It was working absolutely fine then 5 minutes later after i activated the new phone...NO SERVICE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Nah, tried 2-3 sims in it.

It's like as if O2 have done something with it, and I have absolutely no comeback now.

It was working absolutely fine then 5 minutes later after i activated the new phone...NO SERVICE.

try this
    disable the sim pin code

settings\phone\sim pin
    on/off

Rambo wrote: »
    try this
    disable the sim pin code

settings\phone\sim pin
    on/off

Tried it. Didn't work.

I'm getting the feeling that O2 are missing something here.

I put in a request for an unlock last week, but stupidly gave an IMEI with a digit out. Anyway, I then sent them the right code. But they said that that should be unlocked since the 12th (but how seeing as though I gave them the wrong code) They then said it would be unlocked when I synced...but I haven't got any text from apple to say it was unlocked.

I know that i should still be able to put O2 sims in (which I can't) but something has to be wrong somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Are you the original owner of the iPhone?

It sounds like the phone imei could be black listed ring O2 and ask for the imei to be checked as said above restore different sims not working

• Advertisement

Yes, the iphone has always been mine.

O2 insist it's not blacklisted and they apparently have tried everything and say there's no reason why it shouldn't give service.

I'll stress again. It was working perfectly, and never gave me service issues...until I upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sounds like a huge amount oh hassle just to upgrade from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 4.

Is the original one still under warranty? Send it back...

It's an iphone 4 to an iphone 4s. I was entitled to an upgrade so I sold the iphone 4.

Of course as soon as I paid out half the money to buy the 4S I had to give the money back because my previously perfectly working iphone 4 (no longer under warranty) was now faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

It's an iphone 4 to an iphone 4s. I was entitled to an upgrade so I sold the iphone 4.

Of course as soon as I paid out half the money to buy the 4S I had to give the money back because my previously perfectly working iphone 4 (no longer under warranty) was now faulty.

So you sold the old Iphone 4 and a few hours/days later the buyer came back saying No Service? Did you check you got back the same iphone you sold?

I assume you already upgraded software or reload it again? Did you check if sim's from 3, vodafone, etc work?

Sounds very strange to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djo789

hmmm sounds suss to me he(the person who purchased the phone) could have stipped out the internals of your phone & replaced it with another non working unit :eek: double check the serial number...in itunes

• Advertisement

It was literally an hour or so after he had it that he rang me...said he couldn't get any reception.

The IMEI is the same...what else can I check?

djo789 wrote: »
    hmmm sounds suss to me he(the person who purchased the phone) could have stipped out the internals of your phone & replaced it with another non working unit :eek: double check the serial number...in itunes

Serial number matches that of the box of the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

It was literally an hour or so after he had it that he rang me...said he couldn't get any reception.

The IMEI is the same...what else can I check?

Have you tried to activate the unlock via iTunes with a different sim, VF, 3 etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djo789

Check phone for tool marks I'm sure you can strip one of these & change its identity on minutes. Did you know the seller ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Sounds as if 02 have a mess somewhere

They seem to have locked the old phone and perhaps cancelled / locked your account.

did you try your Sim in another phones (not iphones?)

Did you restore the phone as new?

Would there be anything on it that could allow the buyer pretend he is you check that the buyer didn't fake a stolen phone issue and hope to get the phone cheap from you

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Apple/Issue-after-upgrade-to-Iphone-4S/m-p/429316/highlight/false#M62301

Have a read of this. This is the thread I started on the O2 forum about this issue.

The phone is SEARCHING for a signal, so it's not a harware problem. (an iphone repairman told me this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

your mad for giving the buyer the money back after an hour

Well I know him...and what can I do? It wasn't working with his SIM...

I believe the problem is coming from the UNLOCKing situation.

I requested an unlock for the phone but gave the wrong IMEI by mistake.

I got a text from O2 confirming that a request has been sent in for that WRONG imei to be unlocked. Predictably enough i got a text then from O2 saying that Apple couldnt unlock it cause it wasn't valid. that was fine.

So I gave the right IMEI via twitter and they said that it should be unlocked since the 12th. That doesn't make sense as they had the wrong IMEI number then.

So, i gave the right iMEI number via Twitter, and via the customer service1909 and for some reason, I get another text this morning saying O2 have sent the WRONG IMEI number to be unlocked. Once again, I get a message back saying that it can't be unlocked.

Advertisement