Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas & Kaldi cafe, Ongar temporarily closed

Options
  • 23-01-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why the cafe in Ongar is closed up recently? They have a sign saying temporarily closed. I could go months without visiting but funnily, I felt like a fry up the last two Saturday's and found the place shut up both times I called.

They did a minor upgrade to the premises a few months ago so they can hardly be renovating again so soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Lack of trade ?

Does be busy the weekends, and didn't they trial late nights too.

Would be a disaster not to have a cafe in Ongar, really needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭782378

There was a sign in the window last week saying it was closed due to fire and smoke damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I drive past the cafe everyday coming home from work. I was quite puzzled to see it open after 'office' hours in recent weeks. I imagined it would be far from sustainable to run these late night openings?

Having said that, it's a cracking little spot and since the renovation, the food has been even better. I hope it re-opens soon (and isn't shut for good:( )

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

I'd be lost without this place. It's the only place within walking distance in the whole area you can go for a cup of coffee and a sit down (that's not a pub).
    Their customer service has improved a bit, I used to find them really unfriendly. Maybe that's why I have no particular loyalty to them . . .someone else please open a cafe in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

annR wrote: »
    Their customer service has improved a bit, I used to find them really unfriendly. Maybe that's why I have no particular loyalty to them . . .someone else please open a cafe in the area.

The middle aged wan in there can be really friendly sometimes or downright stroppy other times (don't dare challenge an inaccurate order with her!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

I find the fry greasy the and the coffee is nasty....
    I stopped going
    If you only order a coffee you get the feeling of eyes rolling in heads......

ongarboy wrote: »

The middle aged wan in there can be really friendly sometimes or downright stroppy other times (don't dare challenge an inaccurate order with her!!)

I like the coffee. But I used to go in there nearly every day and had a real problem with the lack of 'thank you' and 'you're welcome' . . . .just never had that pleasant friendly feel to it. One day I said to her at the till, nice day outside and she just went huhh??? what??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I stopped going a few years ago. I couldn't stand all the different systems they would introduce (and then stop shortly after) in order to get the food down to your table.

In particular I disliked going to the counter to order and then being asked "What table". I would look around an empty cafe and have to choose a table so they could input the table number in to the system. God help you if you then decided to move table!!!!!

it's table service now (at least until they change it again) and the choice of food has improved (at least the hot options). I was in their cafe in Ashtown last year and it's a lot nicer and the staff so much more friendly.

I stopped going a few years ago. I couldn't stand all the different systems they would introduce (and then stop shortly after) in order to get the food down to your table.

In particular I disliked going to the counter to order and then being asked "What table". I would look around an empty cafe and have to choose a table so they could input the table number in to the system. God help you if you then decided to move table!!!!!

:D yes I remember that. They used to do it even if there was hardly anyone else there as if they were going to have trouble finding you or something.

Maybe it'll reopen under new management.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 D for Dubious

From what I've heard the main fusebox overloaded and melted. Given that they've now been closed for three weeks now they must have damaged the wiring pretty badly. Pity because I like the place.

NOTE: I don't offer this as fact, merely what I have heard on the grapevine.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Twizzler

Has anyone heard if the cafe will be re-opening? Signs still up in windows saying closed for maintenance, but the cafe's name has been removed and furniture is also gone. Would be a shame to lose it permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Twizzler wrote: »
    Has anyone heard if the cafe will be re-opening? Signs still up in windows saying closed for maintenance, but the cafe's name has been removed and furniture is also gone. Would be a shame to lose it permanently.

It would be a shame to lose a cafe in Ongar but I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing not have that particular cafe. I think a Starbucks with late opening would be great there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Twizzler wrote: »

tbh if the signs are takin' down, it isn't a good sign of reopening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Alaska1 wrote: »
    Could be rebranding?

Alaska1 wrote: »

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Just seems to be conflicting messages there because they have left the signs up in the window saying they're temporarily closed, and they posted on Facebook a few weeks ago that they would be re-opening, but the circumstances could have changed between now and then.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. If anyone hears anything, maybe you could let us know. Not life or death I know, but the street is dead without the cafe and it'd be good to see it back - and if not as D&K, as something else (as someone else suggested).

It all seems very strange. They did a minor revamp before Christmas of the place as well as an enhanced hot food offering/later opening hours etc so this closure seems to be quite sudden. I'm hoping someone else does take over quickly if D&K are leaving for good.

Someone else said Starbucks would be a good replacement but I would find their offering quite limiting (pre packed sandwiches, coffees and pastries). You need something that does full and all day breakfasts, made to order hot and cold sandwiches/salads as well as hot meals. I think something like Kays cafe in Blanch (the smaller one on the upper floor) would be perfect!

Oh yes I like Kay's I would love that. Starbucks no way I don't even like their coffee. I hope something opens up there as I have another maternity leave coming up :) and don't like the thought of managing without having a cafe in walking distance .. . .spoilt I know but there's many's the day that was my little outing and contact with outside world.

I have a feeling there is something else going on here . . the closure was quite sudden and has been going on for too long now to be anything to do with repairs. It is starting to look like an unplanned permanent closure which is bad luck for them.

Okay, I decided to ring the Ashtown branch today and asked if anyone there knew what was happening with the Ongar branch, and the lady I spoke to said (and I quote) "I don't think they're going to open anymore". That's that then :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

It closed due to fire.
    A strange place, service very hot and cold depending on who you got, food quality varied to say the least and the most over priced coffee since starbucks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can anyone tell me if it has reopened again? thanks

Nope, afraid not!

Thanks folks

Just an update - passed by the old cafe in Ongar yesterday and there were a good few workmen inside doing a lot of work so it looks like they are refurbishing it. I'm guessing new owners are taking over. Great news as Ongar was sorely lacking a facility of this kind for the last few months!

It's still a mystery why D+K pulled out -especially so soon after they upgraded the cafe themselves. Someone in an earlier thread mentioned a water problem but I can't see that as the reason they shut shop altogether. Hopefully the new owners provide a better menu. While I loved having the cafe there, I was never mad about the food options.

Good stuff, its handy to have on a saturday morning when youre meeting the missus from yoga etc!

Hows thing going with the Pub, any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Oh yes I like Kay's I would love that. Starbucks no way I don't even like their coffee. I hope something opens up there as I have another maternity leave coming up :) and don't like the thought of managing without having a cafe in walking distance .. . .spoilt I know but there's many's the day that was my little outing and contact with outside world.

Hi annR there's a cafe in phibblestown community centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Gerlad

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Good stuff, its handy to have on a saturday morning when youre meeting the missus from yoga etc!

Hows thing going with the Pub, any hassle?

Not that I'm aware of. Only pop into it for the odd match so not the best jusge.

Got told by one of the barmen through that they're putting in a steakhouse upstairs shortly.

just driving past this afternoon and builders were finishing off the outdoor signage. The new name is Rendezvous! I like the sound of that - good choice!

The logo also had Breakfasts, Bagels and Salads on the signs. Best of luck to the new operators and I hope it's a great success for them! A much needed welcome addition to the Ongar retail and social offering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

According to staff in there it will be opening tomorrow!

Advertisement