Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seal around shower inlet pipe

• 23-01-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

the inside of my shower unit is covered in dirty black mank, possibly mold.

I'm trying to clean it out and was wondering if there would be any problem sealing the gap between the tiles and the water inlet pipe as I'm thinking there could be moisture getting into the wallspace here. It's fed from the tank in the attic so should never be hot as far as I know.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am guessing you have a concealed valve with a plate over it and you are asking can you seal around the plate. The answer is yes if you need to
    but tbh i am not too sure what your talking about

can you take picture

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mickery

Thanks for your response Joey.

Photo should be attached.

This area was completely black before I cleaned it.

You can see the gap around the water pipe on the bottom left. I was thinking of sealing this up with filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yeah you can seal just around that pipe if you want. I would use a clear neutral silicone and let it cure before sticking the lid back on or it might stick. However the lid should actually fit snug against the wall to prevent water getting in her.. Its not usually sealed by plumbers.

Dont be tempted to seal the bottom of the shower. Air needs to get in to cool it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mickery

Great, thank you!

Advertisement