Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tad Williams Otherland - The movie?

Options
  • 23-01-2012 12:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/5878321/warner-bros-wants-to-make-movies-out-of-a-book-based-on-a-giant-video-game

I got excited in 2008 when news hit somebody was making a game based on Tad Williams' Otherland series of books. That game never turned up. Since it was an MMO, I am already over it, and now excited all over again because Otherland is being turned into very expensive motion pictures instead.

kinda exciting news. I dont see how the books could work as movies though.. they're ****ing huge. I guess there are subplots they can gloss over but there's a load of stuff to worry about
    !Xabbu.. I don't see hollywood doing a character like him justice, and they can't just rewrite him as his aboriginal past is pretty damned important overall.
    all the different locations will make it a very expensive movie and maybe too cgi laden?
    I can't remember his name but the character who could **** with electric currents using his mind? the rapist fella? Is he a bit too "hardcore" for hollywood? I guess his rape loving murdering nature isn't central to the plot but it's an important part of who/why he is. I think anyway, long time since I read the books so details are a bit hazy.

There's just so much in these books, not to mention the amount of books, how are they going to do it justice in 90-120 minute features. One thing to be hopeful about is the success of A game of thrones, with that as a rough benchmark for the publics appetite they might be willing to put money and time into making the movies as good as they can be.. but will that be good enough?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I can't remember his name but the character who could **** with electric currents using his mind? the rapist fella? Is he a bit too "hardcore" for hollywood?
    Dread wasn't it? He used to listen to loud thumping bass music on his missions too.
    You're right though - they'll probably alter him so he might just be a murderer, and not a rapist.

As for !Xabbu - they'll change him somehow. They won't trust in audience to listen to a man talking folk lore tales about Father Mantis. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they made him Native American for a broader appeal.

Still though, we could have an Irish master villain!

Advertisement