Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what will work in my glasshouse

Options
  • 23-01-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

i have an unheated glasshouse that i built last year. i have installed a few beds at ground level and i intend to put up some shelves as i need them. i tried a few winter veg in the beds this year but the packets of seed were gone past their use by date and i havn't had much success:(, allthough i did plant some garlic in there in oct and that seems to be doing well.
    so iam planning my summer crops now and i have an idea what i would like to plant in there.

in the beds i would like to go with:
    lettuce
    scallions
    onions sets/ would these be allright to go outside with my potatoes?
    peas
    thinking maybe broccoli or cauliflower aswell, but i think these may take up alot of space, how would they go outside?

and on the shelves and in various pots/baskets/remainder of the beds i would like to go with:
    tomatoes
    peppers
    chillies
    cucumbers
    courgettes
    strawberries
    basil
    corriander
    parsley
    ginger:confused: has anyone ever tried growing this?

will all these plants go well together?, i heard before or maybe read it somewhere that some plants attract certain insects that might attack other plants and also by planting certain plants they will deter different types of damaging insects and flys from entering your glasshouse. like i don't want to be inside there spraying the whole place with chemicals everyday if i can avoid it.
    also is it too early to be planting early spuds, i havn't even got the ground prepared yet even though i have covered it with the hen sh*t that i get when i clean out the coup, you just wouldn't believe the amt of stuff that comes from 30hens:eek:. anyhow i just got to dig that in and should be ready to go. just wondering when i should plant, and what are the best varieties?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭No.125

Tom's will grow very well. as will cucumbers but you have to have adequate drainage or they wont produce fruit. i would avoid chilli peppers as the weather is just not warm enough. Sweet Peppers will grow well if given enough space. I wouldn't do peas,courgette under glass as they grow very large. definately sow loads of salad leaves..different types of herbs. good luck growing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

For future reference also, garlic is fine to plant outside.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

No.125 wrote: »
    Tom's will grow very well. as will cucumbers but you have to have adequate drainage or they wont produce fruit. i would avoid chilli peppers as the weather is just not warm enough. Sweet Peppers will grow well if given enough space. I wouldn't do peas,courgette under glass as they grow very large. definately sow loads of salad leaves..different types of herbs. good luck growing

I grow chillis very successfully in the greenhouse. What makes you think it isn't warm enough in a greenhouse in Ireland during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

OP it really depends on the location of your greenhouse and how hot it gets and its location in the garden, ventilation and irrigation

you could sow spring cabbage in it now and have a nice cabbage in April / May and have time to put in tomatoes after it.
    For broccoli didn't do well me as it was to hot for it the same applied for Carrrots.
    Plant Early lettuce plants ( Suttons greenhouse variety) now
    My main use for the Greenhouse is for starting off Plants bedding plants, Cabbage, broccolli, peas, french beans, lettuce, onions, leeks, courgettes, Pumpkins
    and for growing
    tomatoes,peppers,chillies,cucumbers,Melons ,Aubergines, early strawberries, basil and Lemon Verdena

For me Peppers never did well at ground level in the Greenhouse and they trived on a table/shelf

I tried Ginger before it grew a small bit, but the first sniff of Frost wiped it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

For future reference also, garlic is fine to plant outside.....

I think Garlic is best off outside as it needs Frost to help it split into cloves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

sponge_bob wrote: »
    i have an unheated glasshouse that i built last year. i have installed a few beds at ground level and i intend to put up some shelves as i need them. i tried a few winter veg in the beds this year but the packets of seed were gone past their use by date and i havn't had much success:(, allthough i did plant some garlic in there in oct and that seems to be doing well.
    so iam planning my summer crops now and i have an idea what i would like to plant in there.

Try using a seed tray, mix some compost and sand or buy one of the seed compost mixes. Fill up your tray then thinly scatter your veg seed on top then cover with a light layer of compost and wet gently. Cover first with newspaper then cover with a sheet of glass and leave it in your glasshouse. Uncover before the seedlings are too tall, and pot up the seedlings when they are 1-2 inches tall. Plant out when the plants root system has developed, I usually plant out my toms when they are just under a foot tall.
    in the beds i would like to go with:
    lettuce
    scallions
    onions sets/ would these be allright to go outside with my potatoes?
    peas
    thinking maybe broccoli or cauliflower aswell, but i think these may take up alot of space, how would they go outside?

and on the shelves and in various pots/baskets/remainder of the beds i would like to go with:
    tomatoes
    peppers
    chillies
    cucumbers
    courgettes
    strawberries
    basil
    corriander
    parsley
    ginger:confused: has anyone ever tried growing this?

will all these plants go well together?, i heard before or maybe read it somewhere that some plants attract certain insects that might attack other plants and also by planting certain plants they will deter different types of damaging insects and flys from entering your glasshouse. like i don't want to be inside there spraying the whole place with chemicals everyday if i can avoid it.
    also is it too early to be planting early spuds, i havn't even got the ground prepared yet even though i have covered it with the hen sh*t that i get when i clean out the coup, you just wouldn't believe the amt of stuff that comes from 30hens:eek:. anyhow i just got to dig that in and should be ready to go. just wondering when i should plant, and what are the best varieties?.

I bolded what you can grow outside in spring/summer, I seen your glasshouse photos and your going to be tight for space if you want to grow toms, peppers, chills, herbs and strawberries, nevermind trying to fit the rest in so best to grow what you can outside. I would grow the toms, cucumbers, peppers, chilli, courgettes in beds then have strawberries on the shelf so the fruit can hang down and maybe a cherry bush tom variety in baskets, Remember you want some airflow to limit the risks of disease so don't overcrowd your glasshouse. Basil is a good plant to grow at the base of the toms do it does attract whitefly.

No.125 wrote: »

I gave up growing them in my unheated glasshouse because every year I had too many and Rush Co Dublin ain't that an exotic location. I might try again if I can work out a good method to dry them.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Try using a seed tray, mix some compost and sand or buy one of the seed compost mixes. Fill up your tray then thinly scatter your veg seed on top then cover with a light layer of compost and wet gently. Cover first with newspaper then cover with a sheet of glass and leave it in your glasshouse. Uncover before the seedlings are too tall, and pot up the seedlings when they are 1-2 inches tall. Plant out when the plants root system has developed, I usually plant out my toms when they are just under a foot tall.

I bolded what you can grow outside in spring/summer, I seen your glasshouse photos and your going to be tight for space if you want to grow toms, peppers, chills, herbs and strawberries, nevermind trying to fit the rest in so best to grow what you can outside. I would grow the toms, cucumbers, peppers, chilli, courgettes in beds then have strawberries on the shelf so the fruit can hang down and maybe a cherry bush tom variety in baskets, Remember you want some airflow to limit the risks of disease so don't overcrowd your glasshouse. Basil is a good plant to grow at the base of the toms do it does attract whitefly.

my site is pretty open/bleak and everthing i tried to grow outside lastyear just failed, but it was an exceptionally bad summer. last year was my first year planting anything so this year iam going to be more prepared and install some wind break/green mesh around my vegetable plot to provide cover for my plants. so i will try all the hardier stuff outside again this year. and probably just go with the more delicate stuff indoors.

I gave up growing them in my unheated glasshouse because every year I had too many and Rush Co Dublin ain't that an exotic location. I might try again if I can work out a good method to dry them.

afaik they just dry them in the sun in india, so i would imagine they should dry in the glass house if you spread them out flat on a sheet of glass or a board.
    have you tried freezing them?

They freeze great. I have a big bag in the freezer since the summer. Just chop them up frozen and use straight away, no need to defrost them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You can do all you listed undercover - it's just a question of whether you want to use the protected space.

You could try an early dwarf pea, such as meteor, now. I'll be putting in a small row this weekend or next in the polytunnel anyway.

You could also do an early carrot in a large tub, such as Amsterdam Forcing - fleece them if there's a hard frost. Lettuce could also be chanced now as well, again in tubs. It's a few seeds, they'll work or they won't.

Early spuds in tubs or sacks. Again, I'll be doing these soon enough, and fleecing them if there's a hard frost.

Strawberries I'd again do in tubs or hanging baskets, so that they can be moved outside later in the year. You'll get an earlier crop inside, but even if they're everbearers or Alpines, they don't need to be inside all summer.

afaik they just dry them in the sun in india, so i would imagine they should dry in the glass house if you spread them out flat on a sheet of glass or a board.
    have you tried freezing them?

Trying to avoid freezing them due to space restrictions, already have broccoli, peas and summer fruits in the freezer after the summer so if I can dry chilles and the pointed peppers I can increase my winter supplies.

Trying to avoid freezing them due to space restrictions, already have broccoli, peas and summer fruits in the freezer after the summer so if I can dry chilles and the pointed peppers I can increase my winter supplies.

To dry chillies at home all you need is an empty cardboard box and a light bulb on a flex. Thread some thread through your chillies and have them hanging from side to side inside the box, like a clothes line.

With the light fitting fixed on the ground on something heavy put the box over it with the opening facing the ground. The light will heat up the air inside the box and dry out the chillies.

Just to say, after seeing the forecast for the weekend, and early next week I think I'll be holding off on the planting that I'd said for this weekend, as there's a few hard to severe frosts forecast.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Just to say, after seeing the forecast for the weekend, and early next week I think I'll be holding off on the planting that I'd said for this weekend, as there's a few hard to severe frosts forecast.

i seen that allright.
    but if you had allready planted onion sets, early spuds, stuff like that, i would say the fact that they will are covered by 3-4" of soil should give them good protection. the real danger would probably only occur if their shoots had started showing.

but obviousl to delay planting would be the best.

how do we all feel about marshalls-seeds for ordering seeds and stuff on line. are they reliable and have good quality stuff? how does their prices compare?.

Onions are frost hardy, and as you say spuds it'd be ok if they're not up. I'd think about fleecing any in pots/ tubs/ bags though.

I haven't used marshall's - I normally get seeds from places like aldi and lidl (or Wilko's if I'm in Britain), and then a few online from the likes of seedaholic and real seeds (via someone in England to avoid postage). I prefer traditional varieties and I don't do F1's, and the main companies seem to be full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

how do we all feel about marshalls-seeds for ordering seeds and stuff on line. are they reliable and have good quality stuff? how does their prices compare?.

I have ordered stuff from Marshalls and had no problems; have also used Dobies moreso and no issues either...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

I've been growing chiles [New Mexico spelling] on staging in my Limerick greenhouse for 6 years, no real problems except whitefly[insecticidal soap seems to work].
    I roast them under the grill and then freeze them.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

i seen that allright.
    but if you had allready planted onion sets, early spuds,

it's way too early for any spuds, stand them in empty seed trays indoors in a cool, dark place to allow them to chit, I wouldn't plant them until there are at least 2-3 inches of sprouts. I normally use st.patricks day as a marker for planting out earlies (i normally plant queens).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

kellso81 wrote: »
    it's way too early for any spuds, stand them in empty seed trays indoors in a cool, dark place to allow them to chit, I wouldn't plant them until there are at least 2-3 inches of sprouts. I normally use st.patricks day as a marker for planting out earlies (i normally plant queens).

If you have a greenhouse or tunnel you can start spuds in Decemeber/January.

• Advertisement

kellso81 wrote: »

i havn't got anything atall started yet, apart from some garlic.
    iam hoping to get my onions set in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Just read a novel way of drying chillis. Just leave them on the plant and let the plant die.

Advertisement