Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 week old with cold

Options
  • 23-01-2012 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi all, a quick query for you all! my 4 week old baby has got a cold, snuffly nose, coughing etc. The blocked nose is really bothering him at night time, does anyone have any recommendations for how to unblock it? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

use saline nasal spray as often as necessary. they hate it but does clear up the nose very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

as above it does help it is awkward but stay with it, I also put carvol on a bib tided to his cot and also used a pillow to prop him up so he wasnt lying flat when their that you they dont move much and it was a clevamamma pillow this really made a huge difference to him and he actually slept

http://www.clevamama.com/en/products/bedding-and-bathtime-products/memory-foam-baby-pillow.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Karvol isn't recommended before 3 months but you can use myrhh oil (as in gold, frankincense and....) instead. You can get it anywhere that sells essential oils. I used to put a bit in a mug of hot water under her basket when she got congested. If you use it don't put it in your favourite mug though as you won't get the smell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I will second the saline nasal spray recommendation. Our little fella had a cough/cold when he was about 4 months old. We just used the nasal spray before he was fed (because otherwise he can't breathe when feeding due to the blocked nose, and would get distressed) and just let the cough clear up itself - which it did after about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Vaseline rubbed on the outside of the nose is by far the best way of unblocking a babys nose. I have no idea why it works but it does. It softens all the build up in the nose and allows it to work loose. I was given this tip by a retired health nurse and humoured her by trying it, I have since reccommended it to lots of mums and they are always suprised by it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement