Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Message in a bottle - I need your help if you're in Wales

• 23-01-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

hey,

Im a primary school teacher and I have this kid in my class who has a brilliant imagination and loves to write stories. He's drawn a really cool map and put it in a bottle. Later this week we're going to write a letter that he could put in it too.
    Itold him that we could throw the bottle into the Liffey and if we're really lucky somebody in Wales might find it and write back to us.

Is there anyone here from Wales whose willing to play along? I know the whole class will get a kick out of it but I can tell for this one kid, that it'll make his year :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

lies!!!
    SECRETS AND LIES!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

I see, and depending on who is from wales how exactly will you make sure they get it? there will be GPS in there too I take it! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can you not just, you know, write the letter yourself? He won't know whether it came from Wales or not, kids are stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

if you want someone to play along, why would they have to be in Wales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

After Hours -> Wales forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What if it actually works and he gets a reply, then realises your treachery, ruining any trust he could ever have in another human being?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Throwing a bottle into the Liffey? I don't think teaching the kids that pollution is OK is a good example to be setting.

biko wrote: »
    After Hours -> Wales forum.

thought that was a piss take tbh :pac:

but you did move it!

this is a job for rhod gilbert :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

IM0 wrote: »
    thought that was a piss take tbh :pac:

but you did move it!
    You never know, there may be a kind soul in Wales that's willing to partake in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 sunnymar

if you want someone to play along, why would they have to be in Wales?

we'll check the postcode on the letter and the British stamp. kids aren't stupid. they'll want to suss out every angle before they decide to believe it

biko wrote: »
    You never know, there may be a kind soul in Wales that's willing to partake in this.

yeah I hope so. It wouldnt take long to do and it'd be something that the boy would never forget :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Cousin threw a bottle in the sea in Donegal one time when he was around 10. Six months later he got a postcard from Scotland. He was delirah.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Throwing a bottle into the Liffey? I don't think teaching the kids that pollution is OK is a good example to be setting.

.... there's always one.

What if it actually works and he gets a reply, then realises your treachery, ruining any trust he could ever have in another human being?

I get the post in the school first. Plus, the chances of that happening are slim.

.. although now that you've said it, maybe I shouldnt do it though on that off chance. I shouldnt bother trying to make letter writing more fun or encourage him to develop his imagination. I'll stick to text books and copying from the board. Also, as Zohan has pointed out, I should also think of how that one bottle could potentially lead to the boys developing a chronic littering habit that set up a chain of events that could destroy the environment.

buzzkill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

sunnymar wrote: »
    .... there's always one.

GreenSchool2.jpg

Think about the environment. Throwing bottles into any river is pollution. You should be setting a good example for the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

Hey Sunnymar, I'm not from wales, but currently living here studying. I love your idea! Would definitely help you out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

sunnymar wrote: »
    I get the post in the school first. Plus, the chances of that happening are slim.

.. although now that you've said it, maybe I shouldnt do it though on that off chance. I shouldnt bother trying to make letter writing more fun or encourage him to develop his imagination. I'll stick to text books and copying from the board. Also, as Zohan has pointed out, I should also think of how that one bottle could potentially lead to the boys developing a chronic littering habit that set up a chain of events that could destroy the environment.

buzzkill

or ya know you could just him do it, and if he gets something back he does, if not then he'll learn that not every thing works out as you want it!

dan759 wrote: »
    Hey Sunnymar, I'm not from wales, but currently living here studying. I love your idea! Would definitely help you out :D

sweet :) thanks a mil!

I'll pm you later, lunch is nearly over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭dan759

No worries, Talk soon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Considering the tidal streams run north/south in the Irish Sea, it could end up somewhere altogether different (probably Booterstown :D )

or ya know you could just him do it, and if he gets something back he does, if not then he'll learn that not every thing works out as you want it!

thanks for the suggestion but I dont think I really need to reinforce to the children of an inner city deis 1 school that 'not everything works out as you want it!'

surprised by the negativity received in this thread. I might have to just go up and tell them all that Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy aren't real. They're all just made up to make your childhood more special.

Advertisement