Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another stove question - replacing old parkray

• 23-01-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm thinking of replacing the parkray that we currently use as it's a total animal to fuel.

But where to start?
    parkray.JPG

We burn antracite coal in it, and when it finally gets going, it works well.

Usually what happens is that the pipes start banging and we press a red switch, and the pump comes on.
    The switch is right beside the fireplace, which in turn is right beide the hotpress. (30 yearold 3bed semi d)

This heats four radiaitors upstairs (even before pump comes on) and four radiaitors downstairs.(when pump comes on.)

I think the boiler is behind the fireplace but connected to the hotpress. I recall many years ago, before the pump and rads were installed, we had to "run off" the hot water sometimes.

Also I think that it was just the parkray front that was installed, as inside the firplace, the sides are cement / concrete but have cracked over time.

So I guess really I'm hoping for a starting point on what type of stove will be required?
    Roughly what kind of cost are we looking at?(I know how long is piece of string but ballpark would help)
    Can we leave the current backboiler system in place?
    Will the chimney breast need to be knocked down?
    Do I need a plumber or a builder or a "stove installer"?

We were hoping to do as much of the work ourselves as possible before we have to call the profesionals in.
    I would appreciate any advice / help offered.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm thinking of replacing the parkray that we currently use as it's a total animal to fuel.
    Hi:) What fuel are you thinking of using? Still a solid fuel boiler stove?
    But where to start?
    parkray.JPG

We burn antracite coal in it, and when it finally gets going, it works well.

Usually what happens is that the pipes start banging and we press a red switch, and the pump comes on.
    The switch is right beside the fireplace, which in turn is right beide the hotpress. (30 yearold 3bed semi d)
    This isn't how the pump should of been wired, it should of been controlled by a pipe stat. This also preserves the boiler, by reducing condensation on the boilers surface:).
    I like your setup where it heats the upstairs by gravity without the pump. This is a good design for a boiler stove system:)

What is happening though is the parkray is producing too much heat for the 4 upstairs rads to deal with and so the water boils. Switching the pump on earlier would stop this, but better to wire up a pipe stat to automatically switch the pump on/off.

This heats four radiaitors upstairs (even before pump comes on) and four radiaitors downstairs.(when pump comes on.)

I think the boiler is behind the fireplace but connected to the hotpress. I recall many years ago, before the pump and rads were installed, we had to "run off" the hot water sometimes.

Also I think that it was just the parkray front that was installed, as inside the firplace, the sides are cement / concrete but have cracked over time.
    A parkray boiler stove always slot into the opening with the boiler part all in one and a hole is made above the fire front to plumb in an then made good. It would be very non standard if its just the front fitted. The boiler part of the parkray is the part built into the fireplace recess
    So I guess really I'm hoping for a starting point on what type of stove will be required? I would replace with another inset boiler stove. Much simpler.
    You could replace it with the same (It's still made G range) or fit a parkray cumbria. This can burn house coal and wood.
    http://www.parkray.co.uk/HTML/Cumbria.html
    Or replace with an Aarrow ecoboiler:) Iwould fit one of these, cheaper than the woodwarm, but not as good quality, but still a decent stove.
    http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/models/inset-stoves/eb12i-he.html
    or a woodwarm fireview inset 6.5 with 30,000btu boiler.
    http://www.woodwarmstoves.co.uk/products/fireview-range/65kwinsetfireview.ashx

Roughly what kind of cost are we looking at?(I know how long is piece of string but ballpark would help)
    Stove around 1,500
    Fitting 500
    Liner no idea depends if required and hight of flue.
    Ballpark 2-3,000
    Can we leave the current backboiler system in place?
    Yes, if you want to link it with another boiler, oil/gas etc. No if you still want to have a fire going but not connecting the water circuit.
    Will the chimney breast need to be knocked down?
    No, may need to make a hole above fireplace and to the side of the chimneybreast to remove old fire.
    Do I need a plumber or a builder or a "stove installer"?
    Both may be needed, but a plumber should be able to sort both.

We were hoping to do as much of the work ourselves as possible before we have to call the profesionals in.
    If you have any doubts contact the professionals. A boiler stove install can be dangerous and must be installed properly.
    I would appreciate any advice / help offered.
    Thanks in advance.

Stove Fan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hey StoveFan
    Thanks for all the information, that's brillant.
    I'll have a good read and get back.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 chrisss

Hi Ellejay
    How did replacing that stove work out for you? We are in the exact same situation with an old Trianco. Have no clue where to even start!

Advertisement