Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mum returning to college. Need advice

Options
  • 23-01-2012 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hey,

My Mum wants to return to college in September of this year. The course she wants to do is an MA as she's already qualified
    She's unemployed at the moment and needs to know if she can avail of BTEA. She'll fit the criteria for being unemployed for a specific amount of time. I cannot find information as to whether MA students are entitled to BTEA or the county council grant.
    Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I got the BTEA five years ago and then as far as I know it was only given for undergrad qualifications. I got it because I was progressing from a Diploma to a Degree. I don't think you can get it for an MA however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,

The BTEA is only available for courses up to level 8 on the national framework of qualifications and unfortunately an MA is usually at level 9.
    Info on BTEA here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

In the recent budget there were significant changes to the grant for postgrad students and very little of it positive I'm afraid:
    Maintenance grants

Postgraduate students: It was announced in Budget 2012 that no maintenance grants will be paid for new entrants on postgraduate courses from the 2012/13 academic year. Fee grants (described below) will continue to be paid for those postgraduate students who would previously have qualified for the special rate of grant (see 'Special rates of grants for disadvantaged students' below). In addition, based on their means, a further 4,000 postgraduate students will get a €2,000 fee contribution grant.

Taken from CIC info http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Thank you for your replies. They're much appreciated.
    I've had a look around and can see that there's some scholarships she could apply for. Apart from the County Council Grant or the BTEA, is anyone aware of any other possible avenues she could go down for funding?
    She's progressing from a diploma to an MA.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

girlonfire wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies. They're much appreciated.
    I've had a look around and can see that there's some scholarships she could apply for. Apart from the County Council Grant or the BTEA, is anyone aware of any other possible avenues she could go down for funding?
    She's progressing from a diploma to an MA.

Apart from a scholarship I don't think their is i'm afraid ............

Advertisement