Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good cut off saw

• 23-01-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads

I'm Hoping some of you guys can help me out and point me in the right direction! ;)

I'm starting to get back into doing a bit of welding at home. Basic farm workshop, nothing fancy :D

I've a 9" grinder, but thinking of purchasing a cut off saw to get cuts squarer and to help with angles etc. Only dealing with small section stuff.

Is this the right machine for the job? What is a good make? I see the DeWalt are over €400, but I can get an hitachi for around €230.

What do you use in your workshop?

All help and guidance appreciated

Muckit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    Hey lads

I'm Hoping some of you guys can help me out and point me in the right direction! ;)

I'm starting to get back into doing a bit of welding at home. Basic farm workshop, nothing fancy :D

I've a 9" grinder, but thinking of purchasing a cut off saw to get cuts squarer and to help with angles etc. Only dealing with small section stuff.

Is this the right machine for the job? What is a good make? I see the DeWalt are over €400, but I can get an hitachi for around €230.

Muckit

I think these evolution rage saws are supposed to be ok, ive been meaning to get one for the same sort of thing but havent got round to it yet, they are cheap on ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I've had both, and I'd choose the abrasive chopsaw over the evolution, unless you need really serious precision.

Why?

the evolution makes the most awful chips, they're really hot, but not hot enough to burn like grinder sparks which basically burn out, these baby's sit on you. it's also got an awful high pitched noise when cutting that would eat through your head, even with earmuffs on. the blade is also spendy and doesnt last all that long.

The chopsaw makes a lot of noise, and loads of sparks, but is a nicer machine to operate in my opinion.

money no object I'd buy a swivel head bandsaw, but the chopsaw will do for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Hey lads

Muckit

http://www.jebbtools.ie/.Alfra-14-Abrasive-Saw-230-Volt_81010-1.htm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

I have a Makita abrasive chopsaw ,once you have it level and set your angle accuratly they're fine
    i bought mine for 300 euro about 2 years ago
    i've done a lot of work with it and would get it again

The Makita chop saw with a toothed disc is designed for Stainless steel
    they run at a lower speed to prevent you burning the stainless steel
    You will burn stainless with an abrasive chop saw
    Makita 355MM ABRASIVE CUT-OFF SAW

2414B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks lads for all your help ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 masseyferg

hitachi are a good brand. at 230 sounds good deal.
    cut off saw brilliant machine. set up mine on a bench and got 2 roller stands handy not to be bending down on ground when cutting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uuTpXXG0L0

Ended up buying one of these today €270 incl VAT. Makita were same price, but just for pig iron said I'd go for something different:p

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

Its good gear i have a few drills of that make ,you couldn't break them you'd have to be a complete savage
    Best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uuTpXXG0L0

Ended up buying one of these today €270 incl VAT. Makita were same price, but just for pig iron said I'd go for something different:p

Yip Hitachi, Makita or metabo would be my choice for rough farm use

Advertisement