Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roxette playing The O2 July 9th!

Options
  • 23-01-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Roxette are coming to Dublin July 9th with tickets priced €44.05-€49.65. Can't wait for this :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Prepare for it to be moved to Vicar Street or the Academy 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Bring it on! I am a fan of the smaller the venue the better :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Or the Pig and Whistle pub, main street, Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭squonk

I wouldn't mind if it was an Academy gig. I was a bit surprised it was to be in the o2 to be honest. I wouldn't have thought there'd be enough hard core fans around at this stage willing to part with €45 to see them in the o2.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to it as I have always liked them. Last of the great 'manufactured' pop bands IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Or the Pig and Whistle pub, main street, Finglas.

Or the phone box down the street !!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Looking forward to this. I take it that its not seated.

It's mostly seated.

squonk wrote: »
    It's mostly seated.

It will probably be the usual standing layout. That map on TM is wrong or was wrong when I booked on Wednesday. I'm standing which I'm happy with as I hate when I have to sit at concerts especially if there is standing tickets!

musicmania wrote: »
    It will probably be the usual standing layout. That map on TM is wrong or was wrong when I booked on Wednesday. I'm standing which I'm happy with as I hate when I have to sit at concerts especially if there is standing tickets!

Ah no way! I'd have had a standing ticket if I'd known that was the case.

The only thing is, my ticket is block E row 17 which seemed to correspond well enough to a fully seated layout I'd have thought.

I had a look at the different layouts on TM and it looks like the standing will only take up the area usually for flat seating and they will probably just remove a few rows from the front of the tiers so people won't have a restricted view. I'll be there next Saturday for Van Morrison so I will as someone working there about that layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Atna

My wife and I are really interested in attending this concert, since none of us have attended a gig in Dublin before, we have some confusions/questions:

1. Are kids allowed in such concerts we have a 4 year old, and we are thinking of taking him along.
    2. What time a typical concert like this starts and when does it finish.
    3. We will prefer seats, but whats the main difference apart from sitting and standing.
    4. Is this venue covered, in case it rains.
    5. Is there ample parking available at the venue.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Atna wrote: »
    My wife and I are really interested in attending this concert, since none of us have attended a gig in Dublin before, we have some confusions/questions:

1. Are kids allowed in such concerts we have a 4 year old, and we are thinking of taking him along.
    2. What time a typical concert like this starts and when does it finish.
    3. We will prefer seats, but whats the main difference apart from sitting and standing.
    4. Is this venue covered, in case it rains.
    5. Is there ample parking available at the venue.
    Cheers!

I'll try and answer these the best I can. I go to the O2/Olympia/Academy etc a good bit so I'll answer these based on my experience. Others might have different views:

1. Usually Ticketmaster will state on the website the age restriction for each gig. Alot of O2 gigs at night have a restriction which appears on the summary page before completing booking. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is NO restriction on this particular gig.

However, please be advised that the O2 is a large, noisy venue which has a number of bars etc and a 4 year old may not be easy to entertain. There is always the possibility that you could be seated next to someone who is after too much drink. Do you want your 4 year old having that experience? Again, just my opinion.

2. Doors at the O2 usually open at 6.30pm. Most gigs will consist of one warm up act playing for approx an hour followed by the main act OR sometimes, two warm up acts playing anywhere from 30mins to an hour each followed by the main acts.

Typical layout would be:

Doors 18:30
    Warm Up 19:15
    Main Act:20:45

Most gigs in the O2 are finished by 11pm at the latest.

3. As previously mentioned, the O2 is a large venue which can hold over 14,500 when the seating plan is in place. The layout is basically a large open standing area on the ground floor (stand where you wish) and a large seated area upstairs (pretty steep area, many steps). The Main differences between standing and seating are:

Standing:
    • Close to stage
    • Stand where you want - arrive early though to get spot/area
    • Better atmosphere
    • Can be uncomfortable depending on type of gig
    • Standing for up to 4.5hrs (18:30 to 23:00)
    Seating:
    • Reserved seat - arrive when you wish
    • More comfort
    • Atmosphere generally not as good
    4. The O2 is a fully enclosed, state of the art concert venue. Many hotels located nearby (The Gibson, Jurys Inn, Clarion etc etc), LUAS stops outside and plenty parking and easy access via Port Tunnel. Weather has no effect!!!

5. There is plenty parking in and around the O2. The Point Village Car Park is located under the Gibson hotel (50yards from the venue). There is also a large car park next to the O2 and also further car parks along the quay.

o2-dublin-north-wall-quay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Having seen them last year in Athens, Greece, I would say this is one just for the fans. It's a greatest hits set (just the two singles from the latest album). Marie wasn't totally there, she still struggles with some of the more difficult songs, which is understandable - and that's the reason I am saying that this is just for the fans.
    The duration is around 1 hour 40 minutes, so definitely will be over before 11.
    Definitely not going to be a sell out or near it but I would say Academy and Vicar are too small. Last year in Athens it was 4000-5000 people, and we are not as passionate for concerts as you here guys!!
    I bought my standing ticket from day 1, and I will (try to) be there very early in front of the stage. . . and join the joyride!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Atna

Thank you guys for your detailed replies, appreciate it!
    We have decided to drop our 4 year old.
    Looking forward to this event, see you there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Anyone know who the support act is for Roxette tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

robo wrote: »

http://www.solartaximusic.com/2012/07/roxette-at-o2-dublin-9712.html

not sure if this is the only one though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

robo wrote: »

Waterford band called Solar Taxi, very good band, delighted that they got this gig, they are certainly on the up :)

It's time to get Dressed For Success and join the Joyride!!!!

Have a great one everybody!!!!! And having seen them last year in Athens I can tell you it will be a great one!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

Great gig tonight. Especially Per has kept his voice in good shape. Sounded exactly like in the 90s. :-)
    Setlist as the rest of the tour. Never caught them back in the day, so I was glad I got the chance tonight!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Not a big fan of Roxette but we got given a couple of tickets and so went in, nothing to lose.

All I can say is fair play to all you Roxette fans - made the gig one of the best I've been to in a very long time. Sang each and every song (many of which I had never even heard of) and put people half your age (sorry, has to be said :)) to shame!

Great night, great performance and great crowd.

• Advertisement

whiplashed wrote: »
    Not a big fan of Roxette but we got given a couple of tickets and so went in, nothing to lose.

All I can say is fair play to all you Roxette fans - made the gig one of the best I've been to in a very long time. Sang each and every song (many of which I had never even heard of) and put people half your age (sorry, has to be said :)) to shame!

Great night, great performance and great crowd.

I agree the atmosphere and the fans were great. It was a great night and seeing the love for Marie after all she has been through was very moving. I was leaning on the barrier centre stage so had a great view and was surrounded but people who had travelled from Germany and a couple of guys from Northern Ireland.

musicmania wrote: »
    I agree the atmosphere and the fans were great. It was a great night and seeing the love for Marie after all she has been through was very moving. I was leaning on the barrier centre stage so had a great view and was surrounded but people who had travelled from Germany and a couple of guys from Northern Ireland.

We've must have been close to each other!!!
    Amazing once again!!!
    I can't believe that Marie is able to still do it. They are on the road 16 months now!! And I can say that her voice last night was much more clear and steady compared to the previous time I saw them in Athens back in May 2011.
    Spend 40 euros for merchandise t-shirt and program. . . one of the times that the rip off seems less so. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Deesy

Fab show! fantastic atmosphere! Any possible case - will do this again.

video uploading here

Deesy, your videos are brilliant, thanks so much for sharing and for doing so so quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Great show last night. Wouldn't have classed myself as a huge fan and was unaware of Marie's age and health problems beforehand. Considering that, her performance was fantastic. The crowd were also great, full of energy and passion.Special word for the lead guitarist and his rendition of dirty old town, that was a lovely touch!

I enjoyed the show quite a bit. I was a big Roxette fan back in the day but lost track of them mid-90's to be honest. I decided to head along though for old time's sake because I really like Per's writing ability. My first impression was that Marie was phoning it in but I felt really, really bad later on on the way home when I checked up and realised how much she had been through. I did hear several years ago that she wasn't well but didn't think it was quite as serious. I'm bloody delighted to have seen them now. I do think Per carried the show but it's a testament to Marie that even after everything and now she's taking care of her voice, she can still sound pretty amazing. I'd give anything to have seen her live in the 80's/90's. Her voice was something else. She did a great job the other night as well.

The crowd were amazing. I was sorry I was in a seated section. It was such a great gig for standing at. I have to say the whole band come across as very normal, nice guys as well. No crap or major star BS apparent the other night anyway.

I was very pleansantly suprised and really want them to come back sooner rather than later now.

I was very impressed with how well Marie had done given the circumstances and I agree the mutual respect between everyone on stage was very good to see. Unless in a band situation like U2/Bon Jovi etc I rarely see it and can only think of Leonard Cohen and his wonderful band and of course Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band as examples! I loved how small the standing area was and I think The O2 should use this configuration more often!!
    Roxette have put a load of videos on their FB page of a woman they had recording us from where the security stand at the front. Good laugh watching these :-)

Advertisement