Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB in Laois

Options
  • 23-01-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭

on the map on the website it shows from dec- march it is being upgraded but the green mark ends about 1km from my house.. will it be availible at my house,

Is it better for online gaming,, what are ping times like

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

sorry it turns out its the golf club thats green. im just sick of crap internet speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    sorry it turns out its the golf club thats green. im just sick of crap internet speeds

Thanks for your post Rossi IRL,

The following suggestions from Technical Support may be helpful:

*Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

Slow speed issues

Have you tested your download speed
    ?

* Try eircom net's Speed Test : www.eircom.net/speedtest

*Note: Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.) However, if there is a large difference between the speed of your broadband package and the speed test result, here are a few suggestions.

*Note: Upload speeds are not the equal to download speeds. For example, on a broadband connection of 1MBps, the maximum download speed could be approximately 1MB (1024kbps), but the upload speed will be 128kbps. This is the very nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - asymmetric meaning unequal).

* Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

* Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

* These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

* Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable. Click here for more information on Spyware.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance. Please click below for contact information.

Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (locall) (Opening hours : 7 days)
    Let me know if I can help you further.

Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Thanks for your post Rossi IRL,

The following suggestions from Technical Support may be helpful:

*Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

Slow speed issues

Have you tested your download speed
    ?

* Try eircom net's Speed Test : www.eircom.net/speedtest

*Note: Maximum download speeds cannot be guaranteed, as eircom broadband is Rate Adaptive, i.e. a distance dependant* technology. (*The distance between the modem and the exchange it is connected to.) However, if there is a large difference between the speed of your broadband package and the speed test result, here are a few suggestions.

*Note: Upload speeds are not the equal to download speeds. For example, on a broadband connection of 1MBps, the maximum download speed could be approximately 1MB (1024kbps), but the upload speed will be 128kbps. This is the very nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - asymmetric meaning unequal).

* Powercycle the modem:
    Flick the power switch to the Off position on the back of the modem
    Wait 30 seconds
    Switch the modem back On
    Wait two minutes for the modem to re-connect

* Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

Are you connecting wirelessly?

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Are you using streaming, file-sharing or Peer-to-Peer (P2P) software?

* These programs download content in the background, even when minimised. Exit the software completely to ensure it does not affect the speed.

Have you scanned your computer for Spyware?

* Spyware and viruses can interfere with internet connection, making it slow and/or unreliable. Click here for more information on Spyware.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you need to contact eircom support department for further assistance. Please click below for contact information.

Broadband Technical Support - 1890 260260 (locall) (Opening hours : 7 days)
    Let me know if I can help you further.

Regards,
    Ant

the download speed is ok for the speed that is advertised but the upload speed is 80kbps , advertised as 384kbps and the ping is usually high 80s and i need it as low as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

the download speed is ok for the speed that is advertised but the upload speed is 80kbps , advertised as 384kbps and the ping is usually high 80s and i need it as low as possible

Hi Rossi IRL,

The upload sounds low alright. It could be due to various factors.

Your best option is to connect one signal computer to the modem over Ethernet (cable) and shut down your all other computer devices when testing.

Remove the Adsl splitter and plug the modem directly into the main phone socket (usually in the hallway). Disable all your current applications when testing and don't forget to exit all those programmes running in the background on your computer (anti-virus, firewall(s), Skype, etc.).

Check for spyware, or other mal-ware, on your computer. Another suggestion would be to check running Tcpip sessions currently open or established on your compter.

The following may be helpful in ruling out the possibility that your own computer (software) is responsible for your slow upload or download. eircom engineering advise: If you have over 15 Tcp and /or Udp sessions (established or listening) currently on your computer, then there is a high possibility of spyware or a worm running on your computer.

In order to check for spyware on your computer : Open your command prompt to check this and type the following command :

c>netstat -a

(note : c> is the hard-drive in this case)

If unsure about this, take a look at the following: LINK

Remember if you have more than 15 Tcp /Udp, then you may need to update your anti-spyware application and run it a few times on your computer, in order to remove the spyware. Run : netstat -a test again to see if your Tcp /Udp sessions have reduced.

If you are unable to remove your spyware and reduce your Tcp /Udp sessions you may need to contact your anti-spyware manufacturer.
    Also ensure that you run a regular general maintenance check on your PC That is: dump temp files and schedule anti-virus and anti-spyware checks.

If you're using a Mac or Linux computer - you shouldn't have to worry about this and should report your slow connection problem to eircom Broadband Support.

If you need further technical assistance, please contact eircom Technical Support (below).

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement