Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I be ok with this?

Options
  • 23-01-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I bought a Seben Reflector scope a couple of years ago and have always been disappointed with it, the quality of the mount (EQ3) and tripod, the difficulty in finding anything and the complexity of it etc etc.

So, I would like something that has decent optics, tracks objects and has goto on it. A good mount is essential too and the ability to hook up a DSLR would be great. With all that in mind, would this be OK?

I'd be mainly using it in the back garden but would like the option of putting it in the boot of the car to take up the mountains :D

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-flextube-goto.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

This scope is a great option for what you are looking for - except the attach DSLR part. As it's an Alt-az mount, it isn't designed for astrophotography and will not be useful for that purpose. The design of the scope would also mean that you would be unlikely to be able to reach focus with a DSLR attached as the depth from the t-mount to the focal plane is about 55mm and that's nearly 2 inches inside where an eyepiece would reach focus.

It's a fantastic scope, with enough aperture to get down to see mag 13 galaxies if the skies are good enough, and to get a load of detail on Mars, Jupiter and Saturn if you have the right eyepieces.

I've seen reports of people using this goto and getting whatever they were looking at in the centre of a low power eyepiece, and getting it to stay there for well over 30 minutes. It'll be stable and smooth, and a world different to the Seben you have experience of.

Advertisement