Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel advice

Options
  • 23-01-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a polytunnel and ive seen some big ones (big for my garden) for only €300 on ebay. Its 3m wide x 6m long. However Im not sure if the quality of plastic is the right one. Could anyone advise on where to get one in Ireland that is a good price and that is most importantly strong and durable.

I wouldnt be able to build it myself. So if anyone knows any good inexpensive companies I'd be very grateful..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Do you have a link? The plastic cover is relatively cheap - i'd be more bothered about the frame to be honest.

When I was looking 5 or so years ago, getting it from the UK worked out be cheaper (even including delivery), but obviously exchange rates and the economic situation may make it different now. That was for an exposed site, so bigger tubes, braces, crop bars etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I got the plastic for my last tunnel off this crowd,

http://www.cwp.ie/

You can go and have a look at their showrooms and they will cut the plastic to size. I put it on my poly tunnel 5 years ago and its still as good as new. Price wise if I remember correctly to cover a polytunnel 5m x 15m cost about €120-I already had a frame.

Price probably has changed since, I am currently building another polytunnel from scaffolding poles and water pipes and will be visiting them in the next few weeks to price plastic for the new one.

They also sell frames/construct it fully for you etc but I only needed the plastic so didn't avail of these services, might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LJL

thanks..

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/3x6m-Greenhouse-Garden-Alotment-Polytunnel-Poly-Tunnel-/120711892170?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Structures_Fencing_CV&hash=item1c1afd4cca

this is the link for one of them. i dont have a clue. and i definitely wouldnt be able to build it!

I had a quick look and I think that the plastic is too light and will rip very easily,
    Have a look at this thread where they discussed a similar one

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74107804

140G transparent material with green checkers, UV protected this is the bit that worries me, A good polyethene that will last is at least 800g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I looked into these before and found plenty of references on gardening sites to them. Bottom line was to steer clear. Whatever about the duability of the cover, they are just not very strong and get destroyed in wind.

Some providers listed here ...

http://www.polytunnelireland.com/

This will give you a good idea of options and prices ...
    http://www.polydome.ie/categories.php?maincatid=1

Contact them for quotes and see if they can erect them too. You'll be looking at 600 minimum for a 6m x 3m :-(

I'd be more concerned with the strength of the structure than the cover, tbh. You'd want to be in a pretty sheltered spot for that one imo. You'd be better going smaller but better quality.

There's this place in Carlow too ...
    http://www.jmpolytunnels.com/

Their prices may be lower as they use plastic pipe rather than metal tubes. Don't know anyone who has one so can't recommend them as such but the pipe design does work well, I built one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

redser7 wrote: »
    There's this place in Carlow too ...
    http://www.jmpolytunnels.com/

Their prices may be lower as they use plastic pipe rather than metal tubes. Don't know anyone who has one so can't recommend them as such but the pipe design does work well, I built one myself.

them tunnels look quite good actually.
    i wonder how they compare price wise?

The website used to have more pages and they had prices. Remember they were lower than the usual but they don't give details now. I think they do install them as an option.
    Love the attached fruit cage, wish I'd thought of that!
    Anyone any idea where you could get netting like that?

• Advertisement

The website used to have more pages and they had prices. Remember they were lower than the usual but they don't give details now. I think they do install them as an option.
    Love the attached fruit cage, wish I'd thought of that!
    Anyone any idea where you could get netting like that?

for the netting, builders use it on scaffolding so you may be able to find some for cheap second hand, any garden centre or builders providers.

its only a windbreaker but you'd be surprised at the heat it traps

Thanks. I actually have loads of builders netting (2m wide). Was thinking of huge widths. I guess I could stitch lengths together. That woud be a fun night in!

Thanks. I actually have loads of builders netting (2m wide). Was thinking of huge widths. I guess I could stitch lengths together. That woud be a fun night in!

works perfectly, i used lots of cable ties i bought in a pack in aldi to hold sides together last year , took a while but i was able to take it down easily and reuse it this year

An unexpected result for me! I've been looking around for netting. Thanks a lot micropig

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

dont buy i bought 1 from a place in ashbourne. after 3 months zips broke on 1 door. after 6-7 months netting on air vent rotted. after 1 year metal farme started to bend and in the last storm the whole frame snapped and collapsed this is when i also noticed the inside of the tubing frame was rusty. when the zips on the door broke i spoke to the salesman/owner about the problem and i was basicly told what did i expect for €200. the tunnel was shelter on 2 sides and supported internaly with 8 fence post

An unexpected result for me! I've been looking around for netting. Thanks a lot micropig
    If it's for a fruit cage, wouldn't the builders netting mesh be too small for pollinating insects to get through? Assuming it's the green builders/ windbreak mesh that I'm thinking off?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If it's for a fruit cage, wouldn't the builders netting mesh be too small for pollinating insects to get through? Assuming it's the green builders/ windbreak mesh that I'm thinking off?

never been a problem, although there's usually a few little rips in the stuff i used-not big enough to let birds in! insects are crafty - they'll get in to polytunnels etc

Partly, yes. But I would leave it off when the flowers form and put it on when the fruits are forming. Just an idea.
    But also as a mini-tunnel cover over raised beds, for carrot fly etc.

Advertisement