Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this world record believeable?

• 23-01-2012 3:09pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭

According to Guinness World Records, highest darts score for team of 8 in a 24hr period was 1,722,249 by a team from Australia back in 1985ish

That works out at just over 19pts a second. Given the time it takes to throw and retrieve the darts you would be looking at an average near 100. Is this possible over such a longer period?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Any comments - how could that score be sustained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Didn't the Cork team do something similar a few yrs ago ?
    http://www.corkdarts.org/news.php?readmore=346

What length of time is the record for ?

The record is for the most points scored in 24hrs. Seems impossible to get that score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It's nearly 20 points a second. Sounds like it would be fairly difficult to do. You might sustain it over a an hour or two maybe but for 8 fellas to throw at that level for 24hrs is almost machine like. The fact that it's in the Guinness book would mean that there were independent adjudicators there to verify it so must be true.

One question - was only one board used?

Only one board and you had to retrieve your own darts - all other standard darts rules also applied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

here's a few more links to world records

http://www.sentex.net/~pmartin/patdarts/guinness.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Average just below one hundred isn't that difficult to achieve.

Remember its not a 501 game where an average of 100 is excellent. In a 501 format averages are dragged downward by leaving yourself 48 and going 16, miss, double 16. Leg won, but average taken down by a few spots.
    No having to go for fat singles, no dropping down the board to get rid of the odds, no single ones to be aimed at when you get inside double 9.

Here you can just relentlessly aim at T20 all day long (literally).

Here you can just relentlessly aim at T20 all day long (literally).

I'm sure that getting a high average over 24 hrs is possible but I can't believe it's possible against the clock where the average has to be 20 per second - including retrieving the darts etc. especially where accuracy might be sacrificed for speed?

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I'm sure that getting a high average over 24 hrs is possible but I can't believe it's possible against the clock where the average has to be 20 per second - including retrieving the darts etc. especially where accuracy might be sacrificed for speed?

As I take my darts out, your first dart is whizzing towards the board.
    I go to the back of the queue and have 20 seconds to 'relax' before its my throw again (assuming we are playing around 5 of our players at any one time).
    Realistically each three dart throw should take less than 5 seconds including walking to the board to retrieve the darts, with the next throw starting instantly. The team should be looking to get 12 maybe even 13 or 14 three-dart throws a minute. 12 you need to average 100 per throw, 14 you need to average around 85 per throw.

Doable, very tough obviously. Its the record though, its not the normal expected score but the one time that everything came together - no-one cramped, got sick, got dartisis, injured wrist etc. Everyone was fit enough to keep the pace, the team gelled speedwise, they perfected the breaks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paul leech

no way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Im sure it could be beaten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭vindaloo1

From http://www.corkdarts.org/news.php?readmore=346

"A team of eight men, which included world ranked number 9 Colin Osborne in their side set a total points score of 21,944 between noon and 1pm on the day."

21944 is just over 6 points per second, only one third of the rate achieved during the 24 hour record.

I would be sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

could this be done on a soft tip board where the bull is worth 50 points. most decent players will hit at least 100+ every single throw on one of those and even poorer players like myself.

vindaloo1 wrote: »
    From http://www.corkdarts.org/news.php?readmore=346

"A team of eight men, which included world ranked number 9 Colin Osborne in their side set a total points score of 21,944 between noon and 1pm on the day."

21944 is just over 6 points per second, only one third of the rate achieved during the 24 hour record.

I would be sceptical.

Think you read it wrong, they actually scored 35,000. Which is about 40% of the pace of the alleged world record in the OP.

And it doesn't seem as if they were playing that well, a mere eight 180s in an hours darts, and the first 5 minutes seemed to be fairly disastrous.... "The players were noticeably tentative for the opening five minutes or so and this showed in their scores return, but with the packed Vincent’s club pavilion getting behind them they soon raised the ante".

According to the article they had just one days practise/selection which isn't condusive to organising a gameplan properly and a lot of the players seemed to be amateurs, and with respect to StVincents clubhouse its hardly the best place to maximise the score.

As per my previous maths post I'd expect 8 good fast players to comfortably score 75,000 in an hour. Thats 13 throws per minute at an average of 96. It's close to a doddle for anyone in the Top 64 in the world who can throw 3 darts in 5 seconds, run to the board, retrieve their darts and duck.

Advertisement