Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is your partner into farming?

• 23-01-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

Does your partner take an active interest in the farm?

My story, she is a townie and up until 2 years ago didnt know how the plastic got on the bale, tagging was cruel and all cattle ended up in McDs. :rolleyes:. (ok she isnt that stupid)

2 years down the line, she tagged her first calf, wrapped her first silage, spread fert , spread pig slurry, has her few hens etc etc and absolute loves out and about. She reared her first calves and sold them at 18/20 months last October and she said the achievement felt so great.

Will the interest continue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

if she's gotten that far I'd assume so.

I'm nearly the opposite, not as green as your missus, have worked on farms at different times, and did grow up in the country, but my wife has had her own tractor since she was 14! it's her farm, I did the easy option and married in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Jack C

I'm married 12 years to a Dub. She's working outside the home part time and has plenty on her hands with rearing 3 kids and house work the rest of the time. Anyway she doesn't really take any interest in the farm active or otherwise. A couple of months back I decided to get her to get the wellies on and help me debud a few calves. Things were going fine, she didn't mind working in the muddy make-shift pen and wasn't afraid to grab a calf by the ear and help get them into the crate .Then, when we were nearly finished she was just opening a gate to let out a particularly strong, lively and upset
    limousin bull calf. The impatient calf decided to go through instead of around the gate of which my "beloved" was the other side. The baler twine hinges failed to hold and in a second she was pinned between the gate and the mucky ground. She escaped with just a few bruises but I don't think she'll be helping me when the calves have to be squeezed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

The OH is a reformed townie. She grew up on a sheep farm but left as soon as possible. She hates sheep but takes the kids down 3 times a day to bottle feed a few lambs. Tbh she has a full time job with the kids and a 3 day week at work too. I can only imagine the reaction if i suggested she spread a load or 2 of fert but i guess a burdizzo would crop up once or twice in that conversation:pac:

Advertisement