Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why the constant need to protest?

• 23-01-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

This thread is sort of an accompaniment to my other recession related thread. This time I’m curious about why people are so intent of refusing to accept any and all measures brought in by the government to tackle the current crisis. No-one likes cuts and taxes I know and people are struggling but surely point blank refusing to even consider the benefits of the governments plans won’t do anyone favours?

So why the constant protesting? Are we really in such dire straights or is there a certain amount of ‘not in my back yard’ style protesting going on? Or to put it another way do you think all those protesting really are struggling (I don’t doubt some of them are btw) or are there those who really could handle the cuts and taxes but simply refuse to do so.

And in the case of those just won’t pay tax or take a cut even though they probably could afford to do so is it a lack of trust in the government, genuinely not agreeing with cuts/taxes or as above , a simple case of ‘not in my back yard’/ tax/cut only what doesn’t affect me personally?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

audrey you sound like a woman:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The government got off to a bad start in dealing with the whole crisis and have largely shown themselves to be inept, spineless ****s.

As such, anything and everything they do will now be met with the same reaction as a guy with "I am a convicted serial rapist" tattooed on his head asking the hot chick at the bar if he can buy her a drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Because the Joe Soap on the street is incapable of understanding basic economics and the people they vote in are no better. That's how we ended up in this mess in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Protesting is a lifestyle choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

It gets people out of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Because the vast majority of people haven't the first clue what's going on and the government would like to keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

The government got off to a bad start in dealing with the whole crisis and have largely shown themselves to be inept, spineless ****s.

As such, anything and everything they do will now be met with the same reaction as a guy with "I am a convicted serial rapist" tattooed on his head asking the hot chick at the bar if he can buy her a drink.

Judging by how we have responded in the past to the poor behaviour of our elected representatives, it'll be along the lines of, "gee, that's an awesome tattoo, I loves tattoos, I'd better have just the one drink, after that I'm anybodys."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

But Audrey - back in 1988 didn't you 'protest' about conditions in Ethopia
    "I have a broken heart. I feel desperate. I can't stand the idea that two million people are in imminent danger of starving to death, many of them children, [and] not because there isn't tons of food sitting in the northern port of Shoa. It can't be distributed. Last spring, Red Cross and UNICEF workers were ordered out of the northern provinces because of two simultaneous civil wars... I went into rebel country and saw mothers and their children who had walked for ten days, even three weeks, looking for food, settling onto the desert floor into makeshift camps where they may die. Horrible. That image is too much for me. The 'Third World' is a term I don't like very much, because we're all one world. I want people to know that the largest part of humanity is suffering."
    - Audrey Hepburn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audrey_Hepburn#Contributions_to_UNICEF

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

is there many protesting :confused:

theres your answer, most of them dont understand the changes needed Id say. and throw their toys. cant keep everyone happy all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

This thread is sort of an accompaniment to my other recession related thread. This time I’m curious about why people are so intent of refusing to accept any and all measures brought in by the government to tackle the current crisis. No-one likes cuts and taxes I know and people are struggling but surely point blank refusing to even consider the benefits of the governments plans won’t do anyone favours?

So why the constant protesting? Are we really in such dire straights or is there a certain amount of ‘not in my back yard’ style protesting going on? Or to put it another way do you think all those protesting really are struggling (I don’t doubt some of them are btw) or are there those who really could handle the cuts and taxes but simply refuse to do so.

And in the case of those just won’t pay tax or take a cut even though they probably could afford to do so is it a lack of trust in the government, genuinely not agreeing with cuts/taxes or as above , a simple case of ‘not in my back yard’/ tax/cut only what doesn’t affect me personally?

If I ran up a credit card bill and then when I found out that I couldn't pay back the money, if I then went to your bank, behind your back, and told your bank that you were OK with you paying off my credit card bill, and your bank said "sure that's grand, we'll just take the money out of her account to pay your credit card bill, no need to even run it by her, sure she'll be grand", how would you feel about that???

• Advertisement

If I ran up a credit card bill and then when I found out that I couldn't pay back the money, if I then went to your bank, behind your back, and told your bank that you were OK with you paying off my credit card bill, and your bank said "sure that's grand, we'll just take the money out of her account to pay your credit card bill, no need to even run it by her, sure she'll be grand", how would you feel about that???

It depends, what did you buy?

I hear a lot of grumbling but not much protesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I would not mind so many cuts if those at the top took a few too, Lead by example and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's injustice.
    We obviously all need to contribute, but that's exactly the problem. We ALL need to contribute. That includes politicians' cronies, bank bondholders, owners of corporations, golden circle shareholders, etc.

If there wasn't so much injustice in all this I'd accept the cuts without making such a fuss. Why should I be hit over something I had absolutely zero involvement whatsoever in, when the people whose direct corruption are being bailed out by me, without my permission?

Let quinn collapse without taking money out of my pocket to pay for something which had nothing to do with me, let them pay for their OWN mistakes, let the precious bondholders lose their gambling money when their horse doesn't win, just like EVERY ordinary person. Have a proper investigation into the golden circle, Anglo, Nationwide, the regulator, the corrupt politicians, and actually hold them accountable and penalize them instead of releasing gigantic tribunal reports with no teeth, no ability to impose any penalties whatsoever.
    Justice. The people whose stupidity and corruption caused this mess should be the first to walk the plank.

THEN we'll talk about austerity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Attabear wrote: »

so how many times did you have to read that to understand what was going on? be honest now, I stopped after 2, I tip my hat to you sir :p

can you tell me a summary of it please :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Constant protesting?? Are you serious? We don't protest nearly enough. The only decent protest I've seen was the elderly protesting the medical card, they were brilliant. Irish people could be told all the first born are going to be killed and they still wouldn't protest. All unity in Ireland is dead. The student won't march for the public servants, the public servants won't march for the elderly, the elderly won't march for the special needs issues and so on. That's why the government has gotton away with slashing and burning all the easy targets. Maybe if we grew some balls and got unified we'd see much fairer cuts. Won't hold my breath though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Yeah just get on with it. We all screwed Anglo over by eating breakfast rolls so now we have to pay a sh1tload more tax to pay them off. Just tighten the belt and suck it up. The country will be grand after Anglo are paid up.

Hookers

woody.jpg

384469.jpg

curlzy wrote: »
    Constant protesting?? Are you serious? We don't protest nearly enough. The only decent protest I've seen was the elderly protesting the medical card, they were brilliant. Irish people could be told all the first born are going to be killed and they still wouldn't protest. All unity in Ireland is dead. The student won't march for the public servants, the public servants won't march for the elderly, the elderly won't march for the special needs issues and so on. That's why the government has gotton away with slashing and burning all the easy targets. Maybe if we grew some balls and got unified we'd see much fairer cuts. Won't hold my breath though.

The tragedy here is that the selfish b*stards in the PS are the only people who are organised in terms of protests, etc, and they are all, funnily enough, the only group of people who are protected from this crushing austerity, apart from the only other group who will actually protest together, the pensioners!

If the private sector, the people working in small businesses, the unemployed, got organised, you would see a different scenario unfolding in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

That's some big-ass text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

IM0 wrote: »
    is there many protesting :confused:

theres your answer, most of them dont understand the changes needed Id say. and throw their toys. cant keep everyone happy all the time.

I understand the changes we need to be honest. We need to save X amount of money by Y date.

We don't have to do that by keeping the "1%" completely insulated from taking any hits. When are we going to see consequences for corruption, stupidity, and criminality?
    When are those who chose to gamble of their own free will going to be forced to live up to reality just like the rest of us are?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Hookers

woody.jpg

384469.jpg

And Coke.

coca-cola-24-pack-121-p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why the constant need to protest against protestations, Audrey?
    So why the constant protesting? Are we really in such dire straights or is there a certain amount of ‘not in my back yard’ style protesting going on?

Maybe you're not in such dire straights, but many are. People have every right to protest.. maybe some day; you yourself will see the need to do so.

Why the constant need to protest against protestations, Audrey?

Maybe you're not in such dire straights, but many are. People have every right to protest.. maybe some day; you yourself will see the need to do so.

I'll protest against your protest against protestations.

Protest.

I'll protest against your protest against protestations.

Protest.

I'll protest tomorrow.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I'll protest tomorrow.

I'm protesting against procrastination, next Wednesday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Are we really in such dire straights or is there a certain amount of ‘not in my back yard’ style protesting going on?

You don't even have a back yard as you live with your parents.
    Come back to me when like others you are horsing out for repayments, upkeep, insurance, TV licence, and household charge on that back yard for fear of loosing it.
    In the meantime...... back to bo-bo land.
    I have a job but still live at home because I can't afford to move out. My parents are the reason I have roof over my head. I don't have transport because again I can't afford a car at the moment. I don't pay the bills but I support myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Why does this matter? Just because you judge that someone doesn't really need that extra 2 or 3 grand a year doesn't mean it's ok for it to be taken from them, especially since absolutely nothing has changed in the way business in this country is conducted, right from the top level down.

I realise you're not in any way saying this, but the way your post is worded people shouldn't bother going to the Garda if they are robbed if they could afford to lose what was taken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Because its not as simple as you make it out to be and sitting back saying 'arrah what choice do we have ' is a cop out.

But what protesting exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The problem is that the majority of protests thus far have one of two messages

1. Don't tax me, tax someone else
    2. Screw the banks

Neither of which will solve our current financial problem where we spend more than we take in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Thread protest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

seamus wrote: »
    The problem is that the majority of protests thus far have one of two messages

1. Don't tax me, tax someone else
    2. Screw the banks

Neither of which will solve our current financial problem where we spend more than we take in.

My point exactly.

I have no problem with anyone protesting and I know there are people genuinely struggling. I am not trying to atagonise or offend anyone.

But I fail to see how anyone can expect change when they complain, as above, about everything the government do.

I do know however that I'm lucky to live at home and that I probably have a cushy lifestyle compared to the vast majority of the country, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut?

I'm protesting against procrastination, next Wednesday week.

I'll make a note of that in a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

My point exactly.

I have no problem with anyone protesting and I know there are people genuinely struggling. I am not trying to atagonise or offend anyone.

But I fail to see how anyone can expect change when they complain, as above, about everything the government do.

I do know however that I'm lucky to live at home and that I probably have a cushy lifestyle compared to the vast majority of the country, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut?

I think you're being a bit sententious. Walk a mile in somebody else's shoes and you might be the one protesting against whatever it is that they feel the need to protest over. You obviously don't feel any need to protest over anything, as demonstrated by many of your threads and posts here, but don't moralise to others why they are wrong or foolish to protest against stuff that they feel strongly about just because you're lucky enough to be in a position where you don't need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I often wonder if the people that post 'we just should get on with it' have lost their job and/or are in danger of loosing their home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

I think that everyone is of the opinion that our current system is open to corruption and that our politicions lie on an almost daily basis. Some accept this as a fact of life others believe it is unacceptable.

On the one hand some people believe that this current system is broken and needs changing. Now what to change it to is hard to answer. Personally I'd prefer the ending of our current systems and a more organic structure to grow out of it. We do need change IMO but no one can tell the future. This is scary for some peoiple.

The other side would be more "better the devil you know". They realise all the faults but either have too much invested in this system or fear change which may affect their current position, which is understandable.

Economic growth is an illusion, it's actually economic expansion and contraction. The current financial crisis came as no surprise to the people in the know, in fact if you're aware of it you can make as much money in a recession as in expansion. History will show that if we're unwilling to change then we'll repeat our past mistakes. If we continue to try and resusitate this failed economic model then we'd better warn our children of the dangers they will face in 15-20 years time. Or we could take our future in our hands and decide for ourselves.

Now before anyone rage replies, this is the internet and I understand I am completely wrong.

No, not at all, you're entitled to your opinion and to express it.
    And people are also entitled to protest or not depending on their feelings on a given matter.

I think you're being a bit sententious. Walk a mile in somebody else's shoes and you might be the one protesting against whatever it is that they feel the need to protest over. You obviously don't feel any need to protest over anything, as demonstrated by many of your threads and posts here, but don't moralise to others why they are wrong or foolish to protest against stuff that they feel strongly about just because you're lucky enough to be in a position where you don't need to.
    No, not at all, you're entitled to your opinion and to express it.
    And people are also entitled to protest or not depending on their feelings on a given matter.

Look I'm not saying anyone is wrong to protest, I am under no illusions that there are many people on the breadline who cannot take any more cuts and taxes. I have no interested in moralising to anyone.

I'm sorry that I still live at home and have nothing to worry about, I'm sorry I have parents good enough to keep me as long as they have. It clearly bothers a lot of you and makes you think I don't have a clue.

Please don't insult me or make out I have no right to comment on the current situation.

I know you are all better than that.

My point exactly.

What single group is protesting about absolutely everything the Govt are doing?
    What i see are groups protesting about specifics which effect them personally.
    This is understandable with the awareness that unlike many other countries in similar circumstances absolutely nobody has been brought to book over what was done to our economy, this is not our debt and our politicians and decision makers are still amongst the highest paid in their respective fields in a tiny country in economic crisis.
    And yes seeing as you live at home perhaps you are not best qualified to judge.

What single group is protesting about absolutely everything the Govt are doing?
    What i see are groups protesting about specifics which effect them personally.
    This is understandable with the awareness that unlike many other countries in similar circumstances absolutely nobody has been brought to book over what was done to our economy, this is not our debt and our politicians and decision makers are still amongst the highest paid in their respective fields in a tiny country in economic crisis.
    And yes seeing as you live at home perhaps you are not best qualified to judge.

Fair enough, I suppose I do live in the lap of luxury compared to a lot of you on here.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone, that really was not the intention.

• Advertisement

Look I'm not saying anyone is wrong to protest, . I have no interested in moralising to anyone.

I'm sorry that I still live at home and have nothing to worry about, I'm sorry I have parents good enough to keep me as long as they have. It clearly bothers a lot of you and makes you think I don't have a clue.

Please don't insult me or make out I have no right to comment on the current situation.

I know you are all better than that.

Its just that you started the thread and now you seem to be backtracking and answering your own question:

'I am under no illusions that there are many people on the breadline who cannot take any more cuts and taxes'

Wattle wrote: »
    Its just that you started the thread and now you seem to be backtracking and answering your own question:

'I am under no illusions that there are many people on the breadline who cannot take any more cuts and taxes'

Happens a lot with Audrey

Wattle wrote: »

I'm not backtracking at all. Just acknowledging that I know there are those genuinely struggling.

But equally many aren't really that badly off, yet they pitch a fit every time a new cut or tax comes out and I am wondering why.

Do they genuinely disagree or is it a case of 'not in my back yard' or 'tax the rich only'?

Again sorry for any offense caused, I have clearly upset a lot of struggling people here.

I'm not backtracking at all. Just acknowledging that I know there are those genuinely struggling.

But equally many aren't really that badly off, yet they pitch a fit every time a new cut or tax comes out and I am wondering why.

Do they genuinely disagree or is it a case of 'not in my back yard' or 'tax the rich only'?

Again sorry for any offense caused, I have clearly upset a lot of struggling people here.

Some do some dont. This has zero bearing on the fairness of the taxes and cuts.
    Its not our debt. Its a gambling debt of un secured bond holders.
    We have a two tier system with state paid workers at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My point exactly.

I'd agree with you, seeing people spend the day protesting then going home to watch the late late show as if they've changed the world is just pointless.

The Americans do protesting right, the protest is just the tip of the iceberg with the rest of it being building groups, educating people, lobbying the right people. It's an entire movement that comes together on one day to highlight their cause.

Irish protest marches are just a half arsed day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's kinda galling though is that a lot of the whingeing is from people who had absolutely no problem with conditions here when everything was booming (may even have voted FF) so from that angle, I know what the OP means. But there are a lot of angles to it. There are people being unjustly punished too.

And yes, taxes are viewed by some as "That doesn't benefit me, so I don't want to pay it - but others can no prob".
    the selfish b*stards in the PS
    Who are the selfish bastards in the PS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

How do you know it's the people who aren't that badly off who are complaining about everything?

And the vast, vast majority of protests have been about specific issues (bank bailouts, IMF, specific taxes, specific cutbacks). Can you explain what you mean about protesting about everything?

Also your threads all seem to reference the absurdity of 'taxing the rich'. I'm guessing you could include that in a 'not in my back yard' category for yourself.

Dudess wrote: »
    Who are the selfish bastards in the PS?

The selfish plebs, the likes of those in the CPSU that have infected the Irish public sector, who are on 40K, 50K, 60K and upwards, who are in jobs for life that they cannot be dismissed from, who get automatic increments without any account whatsoever taken of their performance, who are trying to cod everyone else that they are poorly paid.

I've a few relations working in the PS and they tell me stories of idiots working to the left and the right right of them, on informal "go-slows", "work to rules", "sorry that's not in my job description", and all forms of obstructive behaviour that you would simply be fúcked out on your ear for if you even dreamt of doing it in the private sector. Only last week I heard a story about one of our semi-states where a secretary refused to put a stamp on an envelope because she had checked her job description and this particular function wasn't specifically mentioned in her job description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Meh, I wouldn't blame them for taking those jobs - it's not their fault those are the conditions, and anyone would accept such a job... including those who bitch about the public sector.

And those people you've listed who take the piss - doubtful a majority... yet all PS workers get blamed? That stamp story sounds like a fib.

It's the higher echelons of the public/civil service who deserve pay-cuts and criticism, not office administrators on 25k... and CERTAINLY not teachers (for the life of me I cannot understand how educators of younger generations have to put up with so much begrudgery), nurses, paramedics, street-cleaners, etc.

Dudess wrote: »
    Meh, I wouldn't blame them for taking those jobs - it's not their fault those are the conditions, and anyone would accept such a job... including those who bitch about the public sector.

And those people you've listed who take the piss - doubtful a majority... yet all PS workers get blamed? That stamp story sounds like a fib.

It's the higher echelons of the public/civil service who deserve pay-cuts and criticism, not office administrators on 25k... and CERTAINLY not teachers (for the life of me I cannot understand how educators of younger generations have to put up with so much begrudgery), nurses, paramedics, street-cleaners, etc.

Teachers get it in the neck and rightfully so in my opinion, because their system of employment completely protects non-performers, and those who ought to have no place in education, to the detriment of young children who will only have one shot at first and second level education.

I had some absolutely atrocious teachers in school, these folks were very clearly in the industry that they had chosen for the easy handy number that it is. I also had some excellent teachers who I can thank to this day for some of the life skills that I have.

I finished my formal education with excellent literary abilities because I had an excellent teacher who helped me develop those skills, but I also left school with a near inability to work with numbers, because I had a teacher in respect of that competency who was nothing less than a disgrace to the rest of his profession.

How the system of education we have in this country, allows both the teachers above, to enjoy the same pay, benefits, and job security, I think is something that is completely unacceptable. There wasn't even a system in existence within the Dept of Education to monitor the results that were emerging from these situations, in the latter situation, pretty much the whole class failed the Leaving Cert maths exam, but this fact wasn't even captured, let alone then try to intervene and coach or manage the useless teacher to up their game or to basically do their core job.

Just to finish the story, it was only when I got into 3rd level and met with a very competent lecturer who understood my deep weakness with maths, did I get the problem resolved at long last.

But it's not good enough that we have this kind of rediculous carry on in the public sector in 2012, where incompetence is not even faced up to, let alone dealt with.

And I don't agree with PS folks on 25K being lined up for more cuts, but this is not what the PS themselves are saying, the bar is not at 25K in their heads, they reckon that anyone on less than 100K should be left alone, only today a figure is released that only 1/4 PS employees are on more than 60K, as if 60K is just micky money!?!?!?!

What I'd love to know is how many are on between 40K and 100K, and can we start cutting their pay, (or before we even start that debate, maybe stop automatically raising their salaries every year), and at least make folks pitch for it and make a case for it through a proper and fair performance review system that rewards those who seek to improve and innovate and who leaves those that just clock in and turn up, on the same salary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement