Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers Portal

• 23-01-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Concerned mam here.

My son is doing his LC this year and used the above website to get some ideas for third level. We have come across a problem. The thing is he is doing OL Maths and put this in the course wizard on the above. There was a number of courses suggested but on further investigation, primarily on CIT website, most of the courses require a HL Maths.

Which website should we pay more attention to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I use Qualifax.ie for all my course searches and find it very reliable, see if it gives you the same results. Also, the prospectus for the college should have the correct information and can usually be downloaded or ordered off their website.

What courses were they? The majority of courses that require honours maths are engineering related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CareersPortal

Hi SmashHits,

We were disappointed to see you experienced problems with the CAO wizard on CareersPortal. Could you let us know which courses you felt gave the incorrect entry requirements?

We have triple checked, CareersPortal/Qualifax/CIT, all our CIT Courses, as this is the college you mention, and everyone of them is correct as of the most up to date college prospectus and the 'Directory of L.C. Entry Requirements' booklet produced by the Institute of Guidance Counsellors.

We are very careful that the information we provide is accurate, so please do let us know what the specific issue was.
    Many Thanks!

Please feel free to contact us on 01-2090797.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Yeah, I don't think any courses in CIT require HL Maths? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Grindylow wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think any courses in CIT require HL Maths? :confused:

As far as I can tell there are:

CR520 Engineering - Biomedical
    CR105 Engineering - Chemical & Biopharmaceutical
    CR108 Engineering - Mechanical
    CR109 Engineering - Structural

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CareersPortal

Hi,

The courses you list all require Higher Maths, but a pass is acceptable (HD2) if you also have a HC3 in Applied Maths. Note these four courses are not listed when you indicate that you are doing Ordinary Level Maths in the CAO Wizard - for obvious reasons.

CR520 Engineering - Biomedical
    CR105 Engineering - Chemical & Biopharmaceutical
    CR108 Engineering - Mechanical
    CR109 Engineering - Structural

Hope this helps....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Smashhits

Hi All

Firstly thanks for all the replies. I may have read the entry requirements incorrectly and for that I apologise. I read it that 'Higher level in 5 subjects including Mathematics and either English or Irish' was a basic requirement.
    To careersportal thank you for clearing this up for me. This is a great relieft as it opens up so many other options.

Sorry for the mix up.
    Smashhits

Advertisement