Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on how to Cook Pasta

Options
  • 22-01-2012 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭

Split from 'I've never really known how to cook...' thread...

tHB

TMRevenant wrote: »
    My prior experience with cooking pretty much goes as far as frying rashers and sausages. I think my attempts with eggs err more on the side of burning than frying, but there's that too. I've never tried to boil pasta before, but I've been told it makes for good meals when traveling.

Oki, then :)

Measure pasta to start off with, to work out how much you like to eat. I used to use a cereal bowl and half-fill it with dry pasta, that was enough for me.

Saucepan of water on the hob, bring it to the boil. Put some salt in, about a tea-spoon. http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/10/21/salt.jpg << like this.
    If you don't like salt, leave it out.
    When it is boiling, put your pasta in. Give it a stir. I find that cheaper pasta tends to stick together / to the bottom of the pan.
    Wait til it comes up to the boil again. Keep an eye on it!
    Pasta tends to boil over, all this white frothy stuff appears, cascades over the side of the pan and makes a mess everywhere.
    Once it's boiling again, turn it down. This will depend on your cooker, but setting 1-2 is normally good. It'll start to simmer.
    Simmering means that you're holding the temperature to below boiling point, but still quite hot. The top of the water will be moving but not bubbling madly.
    Here's a handy video! :Dhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yij7fPSezS0

After about 10 minutes, give the pasta a poke. If it is soft, it is done. Hurrah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3FxxliC6sg&feature=related < Try this recipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwGBt3V0yvc < chop an onion

> She smashes the garlic with her palm, I'm never able to do that so I put the flat of the knife on the garlic and give it a thump with whatever is at hand, can of tomatoes, the bottle of olive oil.
    > You don't have to mash up the tomatoes with your hands. Use a can of chopped tomatoes. A regular sized can. She seems to be cooking for loads of people!
    > Tomato paste is tomato puree. It comes in tubes or little cans. I like the tubes because I can just add a squeeze and put the rest in the fridge.
    > You don't HAVE to cook it for hours. After about 30 minutes it'll be cooked but not as delicious as a long slow cook.
    > If I was making this, I would probably put in about a teaspoon of dried chilli.

At the end, get your pasta and either mix in the sauce til the two are combined or just put as much sauce as you like on top of the pasta.
    Either way, put cheese on top. Cheese is great!

This is pretty plain and basic and doesn't really contain protein. But it's a decent enough place to start. :)

This forum is great for learner cooks. I've learned huge amounts of stuff from reading the posts and everyone will usually answer questions. :)

I'm hungry now. -_-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Looks like the OP is not the only one who can't cook pasta.

Salt should be always be used.

The pot should be very large, and once pasta is added to the boiling water it should be left uncovered.

Pasta should be cooked in boiling (not simmering) water.

Cook for the time indicated on the package, test it before draining. It should not be soggy soft but have a bit of a bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

SBWife wrote: »

The pot should be very large, and once pasta is added to the boiling water it should be left uncovered.

Cook for the time indicated on the package, test it before draining. It should not be soggy soft but have a bit of a bite.

I personally don't like salt with my pasta. I've never noticed any difference from leaving it out.
    Also, when I was learning to cook I was never able to prevent the pasta from foaming over. It takes a bit of time before you get used to knowing how to regulate the heat to prevent it from boiling all over the place. :)

If you use a large uncovered pot it will not foam over. You either are putting the lid on the pot and/or are not using a big enough pot for the amount of pasta if it's foaming over. Cooking at a low temp as you suggest will result in soft soggy pasta rather than the preferred al dente. Pasta cooked in unsalted water is fit for no-place but the bin. Food should be seasoned during cooking as this allows the food to absorb the seasonings rather than have them merely coat the outside. Traditionally the water is salted to the point that it is as salty as the Med in order to cook pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

for most pasta's the time on the packet will be too much. as it continues to cook once off the heat.

a minute or so less than the time given on the packet will generally give you just over al dente if you like it al dente maybe two minutes.

There's no real rules you will figure out what way you like your pasta yourself a lot of people like soggy soft pasta :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

reallyrose wrote: »
    I personally don't like salt with my pasta.

Me either. (Though not quite as bad as salt when cooking rice - yuck!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

If you use a large uncovered pot it will not foam over. You either are putting the lid on the pot and/or are not using a big enough pot for the amount of pasta if it's foaming over. Cooking at a low temp as you suggest will result in soft soggy pasta rather than the preferred al dente. Pasta cooked in unsalted water is fit for no-place but the bin. Food should be seasoned during cooking as this allows the food to absorb the seasonings rather than have them merely coat the outside. Traditionally the water is salted to the point that it is as salty as the Med in order to cook pasta.

This post has instantly put me off the idea of learning how to cook. Well done.

psinno wrote: »
    This post has instantly put me off the idea of learning how to cook. Well done.

Well if a big pot of salted boiling water is too much for you to handle, that's probably a wise decision:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

SBWife, people have different ways of cooking things. Just because it's not the same as yours, doesn't mean it's wrong. Warning issued, and please refrain from posting if you can't do it in a polite, non-aggressive manner.

Actually, Faith, as most chefs and good home cooks know there are correct and incorrect methods for cooking many foods. Simmering pasta in unsalted water is not the correct method. I don't see what is so unhelpful about pointing out that the correct method involves, simply a large pot with plenty of boiling salted water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I have never and will never use salt to cook my pasta, I hate salt, hate the taste of salt water when swimming, so I would never cook my food in it! We never use salt with ours and it's fine, OP I would say try cooking things in a few different ways, like with the pasta for example try it with salt, try it without, and decide what you like. As long as you're following the important cooking steps properly you can tweak the little things like that. Don't be afraid to experiment, even if something tastes awful or just doesn't work out at least you tried and will know better how to do it the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Actually, Faith, as most chefs and good home cooks know there are correct and incorrect methods for cooking many foods. Simmering pasta in unsalted water is not the correct method. I don't see what is so unhelpful about pointing out that the correct method involves, simply a large pot with plenty of boiling salted water.

It's a very narrow view on how to cook.

If it tastes good then it's the right way for you, regardless of what celebrity chef A claims or what book B claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Can't remember what I was watching the other day, but an Italian chef was showing someone (another celebrity) how to make a pasta dish - he was horrified when the celebrity added salt to the pasta water - said he never did so. I've tried it both ways, and now I prefer it without salt. I used to add a sploosh (technical term, that) of olive oil to the water to prevent pasta sticking together, but I've stopped doing that now, too.

I am a sinner, I sometimes cook my pasta in a pan which is too small, and when I do that, I have to turn it down so it doesn't overflow, too. Still tastes like pasta to me! TBH I don't like it al dente, I prefer it soft. Each to their own!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I add olive oil to the water that's boiling, then add the pasta. When the pasta is done I put it in a colander to drain. In the hot, empty pot I put more olive oil, cracked black pepper and basil if I have it. Dump the pasta back in the pot, make sure it's all coated, stir it around. Serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just on the salt front, I always salt the water when cooking pasta or rice. I use sea salt flakes (Maldon). We don't use table salt in our house because any added salt gets added in cooking, but it does get added.

I find that using a good quality salt like sea salt during cooking does not and should not make the food taste salty. It simply brings out the flavour of the food itself - so the pasta tastes more like pasta, and the rice tastes richer and more strongly of rice. That may sound peculiar, but basically salt works on the same premise as MSG - monosodium glutamate, which is the sodium salt of glutamic acid.

MSG is added to poor quality food to make it taste better - which it does by bringing out every last bit of flavour contained in that food. So beef tastes beefier, chicken tastes more like chicken, vegetables taste sweeter in the case of carrots and corn, greener in the case of peas, so on.

Sea salt should perform a similar task if as good quality salt is used in the right volume to season food while you cook. It brings out the flavour of the food and makes it more intense.

I'd baulk at pouring a teaspoon of free-flowing iodised table salt into a pot of water for potatoes, pasta or rice, or adding it to a sauce to season. I think it just comes out tasting of salt, as opposed to getting that flavour intensifying effect. I don't know what it is about table-salt versus sea salt that makes it behave differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Right way vrs wrong way is a bit ridiculous.

Like, are people really debating boilering verses simmering in terms of pasta???

Simmering is water at c.95 degrees. Boiling is 100 degrees. In terms of cooking pasta, there is not much difference. For things like sauces, or broths where the liquid it is cooked in will also be served - it can matters. But not for pasta.

Next you'll advise adjusting for heaith above sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

Just on the salt front, I always salt the water when cooking pasta or rice. I use sea salt flakes (Maldon). We don't use table salt in our house because any added salt gets added in cooking, but it does get added.

I find that using a good quality salt like sea salt during cooking does not and should not make the food taste salty. It simply brings out the flavour of the food itself - so the pasta tastes more like pasta, and the rice tastes richer and more strongly of rice. That may sound peculiar, but basically salt works on the same premise as MSG - monosodium glutamate, which is the sodium salt of glutamic acid.

MSG is added to poor quality food to make it taste better - which it does by bringing out every last bit of flavour contained in that food. So beef tastes beefier, chicken tastes more like chicken, vegetables taste sweeter in the case of carrots and corn, greener in the case of peas, so on.

Sea salt should perform a similar task if as good quality salt is used in the right volume to season food while you cook. It brings out the flavour of the food and makes it more intense.

I'd baulk at pouring a teaspoon of free-flowing iodised table salt into a pot of water for potatoes, pasta or rice, or adding it to a sauce to season. I think it just comes out tasting of salt, as opposed to getting that flavour intensifying effect. I don't know what it is about table-salt versus sea salt that makes it behave differently.
    I totaly agree with your thinking here Sweeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I was dubious about salting the water too until I did one day and OH came in, robbed some of the just-cooked penne, and started on about how good it was. I had to chase him out of the kitchen with the wooden spoon.

Proper sea salt means that you use less salt for the same flavour.

Don't add oil, even if it says to on the package. Pasta sinks to the bottom, oil floats on the top, so has no effect on the pasta. Stir it plenty from the moment you add the pasta, especially spaghetti, so that it doesn't stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

A tiny bit of vinegar in the boiling water. And i stress a tiny amount, will dissolve the starches and help with your pasta not sticking together when it's done. Also when it is done, wash your pasta with boiling water, again this helps your pasta to not stick together

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

lots of salt in the water, very large pot, water boiling, cook pasta for about a minute less than the required time stirring a lot while boiling. Then the most important part of the process is to finish off cooking the pasta in the sauce tossing and stirring gently to get lots of air into it as you finish off cooking it in the sauce. The pasta will absorb some the sauce making it really tasty and the tossing will give it a nice velvety/fluffy coating.

I also find that throwing a couple of bay leaves in the water also give your pasta some additional really nice flavour especially if you are serving with a bolognese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Mellor wrote: »

Like, are people really debating boilering verses simmering in terms of pasta???

Simmering is water at c.95 degrees. Boiling is 100 degrees. In terms of cooking pasta, there is not much difference. For things like sauces, or broths where the liquid it is cooked in will also be served - it can matters. But not for pasta.

Actually, you're totally wrong Mellor.
    Simmering and boiling pasta makes a huge difference. Simmering will cause the pasta to stick more. Boiling pasta (the correct way it's suppose to be done), will avoid this !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Actually, you're totally wrong Mellor.
    Simmering and boiling pasta makes a huge difference. Simmering will cause the pasta to stick more. Boiling pasta (the correct way it's suppose to be done), will avoid this !!!
    No it won't. 5 degrees won't make a difference to how it cooks. Boiling water can only get so hot.

Now if you are simmering it for ages, then more starch will be broken down and it will stick more. But this is because of over cooking, not simmering. The same would happen if you boiled it for too long. Which is why you rinse pasta with hot water in a colander when cooked to taste. To remove starch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

But its not just about the 5 degrees difference in heat.
    Simmering pasta will sit together in a clump at the bottom of the pan, and it will be in the water for longer, because it takes longer to cook, so will soak up more water and become soggy.

Boiling pasta in plenty of water means the water is on a rolling boil, which keeps the pasta moving, stopping it sticking together and cooking it quicker so it is in the water for less time.

and to be honest 5 degrees is actualy a fair difference, you cook a steak to 5 degreees higher than you wanted and it will be ruined.

Dont add oil, like someone else said it just floats on top and is a waste of good olive oil. Put it on after cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

No it won't. 5 degrees won't make a difference to how it cooks. Boiling water can only get so hot.

Now if you are simmering it for ages, then more starch will be broken down and it will stick more. But this is because of over cooking, not simmering. The same would happen if you boiled it for too long. Which is why you rinse pasta with hot water in a colander when cooked to taste. To remove starch.

Sorry, but you're wrong again.
    This isn't about opinions here, this is fact
    that 5 degrees (actually slightly more), does make a difference. Boiling water will not stick the pasta, unless you do it in a pot that's too small for the amount you're cooking. There is absolutely no need to pour boiling water on it after the pasta is cooked. Is that what you think all chefs and restaurants do ! They don't !
    we'll just have to agree to disagree ;)

never wash the starch off your cooked pasta! You cannot get that lovely velvety, fluffy texture when finishing it off by tossing in the your sauce as the sauce will adhere to the starch.

If your pasta is sticking it is because your pot is too small or you are using a too little water.

A proper pasta pot should look something like this

horwood-20cm-pasta-pot-6010376-0-1290527223000.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Lots of good, bad and mad advice so far!

Pasta is to be boiled. Not simmered. Boiled.

If your pasta tastes salty you have added too much salt. You should have a little salt in your boiling water.

Adding oil is indeed a waste of time if you are going to tip the lot out into a colander. If, however, you are using a correct pot (as above) you will draw the pasta through the oil, thus coating it.

NTLBell, correct, pasta cooked from dry is preferred al dente - slightly under cooked. This does not apply, as you might imagine, to fresh pasta or filled pasta like ravioli.

Now I recognise we all have our own ways of doing things, and we all like what we like, but there are correct ways - irrespective of whether you like it - of doing things.

skip forward to 3:10 on this YourTube. Cooking experiment showing if there is any value adding oil to the water when cooking pasta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p7UcCAw39c

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Actually salted water boils above 100 degress, :) .

I honestly don't think there is a difference between boiling or simmering it though. If you pasta sticks together too much then you've over cooked it.

As a rule of thumb, I knock 2mins off the time given on the packet. Sometimes it's more, sometimes less. That's all about taste though, I like it the dente side of al dente.

The water absolutly has to be salted. In fact any veg, starch etc. that is boiled should be done so in salted water. It's defineatly the right way to do it. I've boiled potatoes in sea water once, inspired by Darina Allen, it was savage. It might be worth a go with Pasta.

Adding oil to the water is unneccessary, in fact it will hinder your sauce sticking to the pasta.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Even in Italy there's no "correct" way of cooking it, but most people do add salt (be it for flavour or cooking technology).

If you chuck in the salt before the water has already boiled, you lower the boiling point of the water will be cooking your pasta at circa 90 degrees. Although I do this often for convenience, technically it will result in a pasta with a slightly gloopier texture, and over time will ruin the bottom of your pots.

If you chuck the salt in after the water has boiled, the temperature momentarily rises to about 130 degrees, then goes back to 100 degrees.

Plus, another tip given to me by my partner's mother: if your making a pasta sauce (with vegetables, fish, meat, cheese, whatever) to go with your pasta, add a little of the cooking water of the pasta to it - the starch helps the

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I was a professional chef and a head chef - I've worked all over the world in top class restaurants. It is not vital to put salt in the water when cooking pasta, that is a matter of taste. It is important to use a large saucepan and have the water boiling (as an Italian chef once said to me - put the pasta in when there are big bubbles in the water). It's important to keep that water at boiling point- not simmering - as the action of the water helps prevent the pasta from sticking together.
    Never had a complaint about my unsalted pasta - even from Italians ;)

• Advertisement

Folks, try the bay leaf trick in the water. A few leaves add a lovely earthy flavour on the pasta. Heard the tip in a pub a while back and been doing it since.

Advertisement