Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear make-up? (one for the guys)

• 23-01-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Sometimes I just couldn’t be bothered to wear make-up(would still be well groomed, it’s just the make-up I would skip), and it’s half way through those kind of days that I hate standing next to other women who are wearing make-up because they make me look paler (I’ve been asked before if I was feeling ok).

I hate the fact in order to look normal I have to put make-up on.

It got me thinking, if it was the social norm for men to wear make-up as well, would any guys feel they would have to wear it just to keep looking as well as other men?

I reckon straight off the bat, a lot of guys would say “hell no”, but imagine if nearly every other man walking around wore make-up, would you not feel that if you want to look as well as them that you would have to wear it too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

bambera wrote: »
    I reckon straight off the bat, a lot of guys would say “hell no”, but imagine if nearly every other man walking around wore make-up, would you not feel that if you want to look as well as them that you would have to wear it too?

I don't do a lot of stuff that other blokes seem to worry about, appearance wise. Don't think i would wear make up even if it was a societal norm for blokes to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Simple answer for me would be no.

You just can't improve on perfection so what would be the point of wearing make-up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't let that muck anywhere near my face. I would say make up only speeds up the ageing process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I used to like eyeliner after a few E's or if I was really drunk. But never sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Have enough trouble running a razor over my chops in the morning without plastering paint all over it after.

Non runner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Woke up plastered in makeup once from a sneaky ex GF after being on the piss. Stung like fuck. I don't know how girls wear that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I have done. But I wouldn't do it just because it was a societal norm. I'm pretty good looking as it is, so wouldn't really need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Wearing some right now. And yes, I look fab.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I really don't understand how this has become a social norm for women, is it simply down to advertising. I don't know how much make up women used in the past.

But I notice a lot of men are now applying moisturizer, that is a direct result of advertising, but I couldn't be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I use moisturizer, is that makeup? If so then yes I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

No never, but in saying that i have woken up after a session with some eyeliner on. Looked pretty good as well, but not something i would plan on a night out. On a side note, there is no bigger turn off than a girl plastered in make up, and no bigger turn on that a girl looking beautiful with none or just a minimum amount of makeup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

No, the kind of man that does probably shaves his pubes off. There is a big difference between being well groomed and being a drag queen. Irish women wear too much make up without the men starting.

TheZohan wrote: »
    I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.
    Is that before or after you kill the two prostitutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I wish girls never wore make-up, at all - moisturizer is skin-care enough.

In fact, I'd like to nuke all those make-up counters that tend to always be at the front door of department stores - the ones you need a gas-mask and a caged canary to attempt to pass safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I have pretty good skin so i wouldnt see the need tbh.

But if it was the norm, maybe if i was getting dressed up for something, i.e. going out on a saturday night, or to a wedding etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

no... just no, gtfo

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

44leto wrote: »
    But I notice a lot of men are now applying moisturizer, that is a direct result of advertising, but I couldn't be bothered.

That's how it starts! Today moisturiser, tomorrow make-up adverts, then next week fake tan.

The third one I thankfully have no desire to ever wear, even if every other flippin woman starts to wear it. But with make-up, it's considered that you don't make an effort in your appearance unless you wear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Confab wrote: »
    I use moisturizer, is that makeup? If so then yes I do.

Me too after a shave. If I didn't my face would get all tight and feel weird.

This is the stuff use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

There actually is make up marketed for men already:eek:
    It's called something "manly" but it's just make up.

To answer your question though OP if it was the norm for men to wear make up I guess any bloke who puts gel product (got to get the lingo right) in his hair everyday probably would be doing it every day too (fake tan might have been a better choice actually), but in a sense your question is so hypothetical I can't really answer it.

Most men will never be wearing make up though. I barely have enough time to have a shower in the mornings going to work so make up, nah, not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

I wish girls never wore make-up, at all.

Men say women shouldn't wear make-up until they see a girl not wearing any...

xclw wrote: »
    Men say women shouldn't wear make-up until they see a girl not wearing any...

Could you imagine a day in the future (if make-up did become the norm for men) were a woman would feel the same way about a man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

most guys are hot in makeup, i dont mean the whole foundation/blusher etc but if thats what you like fair play :) , but black nails and eyeliner on a guy, oh yes please ;):D
    black lipstick too, hmmm maybe depending on the guys look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No.

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    most guys are hot in makeup, i dont mean the whole foundation/blusher etc but if thats what you like fair play :) , but black nails and eyeliner on a guy, oh yes please ;):D
    There's someone who gets my bus I can introduce you to then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

I don't think make-up, in the form that we have it now, would ever become the norm. What I'm referring to is mascara, eyeliner, lipstick, etc.

Women tend to like masculinity and anything that detracts from the masculinity of a man isn't going to become popular.

Before some rocker-kid girls chime in to say that people like the guys in My Chemical Romance, guys wearing skinny jeans and eyeliner, etc are attractive - don't worry, you'll grow out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wouldn't let that muck anywhere near my face. I would say make up only speeds up the ageing process.
    Why do you think that? I'd imagine, if anything, foundation provides a layer of protection to skin.
    I wish girls never wore make-up, at all - moisturizer is skin-care enough.

In fact, I'd like to nuke all those make-up counters that tend to always be at the front door of department stores - the ones you need a gas-mask and a caged canary to attempt to pass safely.
    Make-up can be applied very naturally and subtly and only makes the woman look better - not all make-up is the orange stuff.

Eye-liner/mascara has been known to look hot on some old-skool rock musicians, but that's enough!

Yeah I don't get the way some women feel compelled to wear make-up all the time - I don't bother me hole wearing it if I don't feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bishop Tu Tu in a tu tu.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Why do you think that? I'd imagine, if anything, foundation provides a layer of protection to skin.

Make-up can be applied very naturally and subtly and only makes the woman look better - not all make-up is the orange stuff.

Eye-liner/mascara has been known to look hot on some old-skool rock musicians, but that's enough!

Yeah I don't get the way some women feel compelled to wear make-up all the time - I don't bother me hole wearing it if I don't feel like it.
    Johnny Depp apparently wears it too, and that Zac Efron fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I really don't understand this whole 'Women should stop wearing makep, they look better without it' thing. 99.99% of us don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Many guys are just as shallow and superficial as women. They only reason they don't wear makeup is because it's socially unacceptable.

They do, however, follow whatever ridiculous fashion trend is currently popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

My daily beauty regime cosists of soap,water,toothpaste.

ffs irish men wearing makeup?
    What have we become?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

My daily beauty regime cosists of soap,water,toothpaste.

ffs irish men wearing makeup?
    What have we become?

Fags, seemingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Namlub wrote: »
    I really don't understand this whole 'Women should stop wearing makep, they look better without it' thing. 99.99% of us don't.
    It's said by guys who think make-up is only the disastrous orange stuff. Same with fake tan: when it's applied properly it doesn't look like she's wearing fake tan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

I have been known to wear a bit of black eyeliner and dark Nailvarnish whenI lived away from home in the big Schmoke, however when I moved back to rural Ireland that practie had to be abandoned fair sharpish along with bleachin me hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I wen't through my David Bowie / New Romatics phrase a long time ago so a bit of plain aftershave moisturiser is all I can manage now

Protect it from what? If we where living in an extreme climate it would make sense to put a layer of something over it but in this country the more exposure it gets the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

ScumLord wrote: »
    Protect it from what? If we where living in an extreme climate it would make sense to put a layer of something over it but in this country the more exposure it gets the better.

UV, we have this in Ireland too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

If there is a more overused book quote on boards than this I don't know what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

jpm4 wrote: »
    If there is a more overused book quote on boards than this I don't know what it is.

Nice

Oh, about Three Fiddy

I could go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

More overused than yore ma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

"Yore ma" @ 4,000 approx. That quote has only been used a total of 19 times. Even "blast it with piss" is at the 1k mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

candy-gal1 wrote: »

Good Lord, did I nod off and wake up in a strange new parallel universe?

Can I go home now????

Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Have done in the past (foundation and lipstick). :eek: However! I was in a musical on stage so I don't think it counts. In my day to day life, I never would wear it, in a situation like the above where it's needed I don't see the issue.

RichieC wrote: »
    UV, we have this in Ireland too.
    Not that much of it to be worried.

Because of this...
    Namlub wrote: »

Like I said, sometimes I couldn't be bothered wearing it, but the fact is when you're standing next to someone who is wearing it, they're gonna look a whole lot better than you (I'm not talking cake face here, I'm talking normal make-up).

And that's where I'm comming from when I talk about if men did start wearing make-up as the norm, would other men think the way a lot of females do now?

Robdude wrote: »
    Many guys are just as shallow and superficial as women. They only reason they don't wear makeup is because it's socially unacceptable.

They do, however, follow whatever ridiculous fashion trend is currently popular.

I think the gap between shopping in certain parts of Top Man and wearing make-up is slowly narrowing for some guys :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I've worn concealer b4 when in my teens to cover a spot that had its own postcode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

"Yore ma" @ 4,000 approx. That quote has only been used a total of 19 times. Even "blast it with piss" is at the 1k mark.

Book quote I said. Is Your Ma a best seller? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement