Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calf Staller

Options
  • 23-01-2012 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

Anyone use a calf staller for tagging and dehorning. Calves seem livelier this year than any other.

Is it just a gimmick or would it be a useful around the farm based on your experience rather than your opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

reilig wrote: »
    Anyone use a calf staller for tagging and dehorning. Calves seem livelier this year than any other.

Is it just a gimmick or would it be a useful around the farm based on your experience rather than your opinion?

we find it's easer to dehorn and tag calfs at the same time while there in the dehorning crate .

there's more of a chance you'ed take a kick with what you've up there

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

We use the metal dehorning crate/crush. Grand for a smaller calf...and safe.
    That looks half-dangerous to me, they can swing around too much maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Then again, that is based on what you didn't want, just my opinion!:)
    Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

calf crates certainly makes de horning much easier
    not so sure about the staller.

try and get a crate that has wheels as they are heavy yoke to move.

we tag with one standard tag and BVD as soon as they are dry and apply second tag when de horning. much easier than trying to remember numbers:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

49801 wrote: »
    ..we tag with one standard tag and BVD as soon as they are dry and apply second tag when de horning. much easier than trying to remember numbers:pac::pac:
    That's a good idea. You know for deffo that they're de-horned then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭David brown

Anyone use a calf staller for tagging and dehorning.
    I couldnt imagine it being any good. at least with the crate calves can be dehorned inside or out in open. its not everywhere it would suit and would the calves which are 10 days plus vat not be leaping around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have a crate. To be honest I find it awkward. If I want to bring it to the outfarm, I have to load it into the trailer - its heavy and usually takes 2 to lift it in and 2 to lift it out. Its not a 1 man job. Its also a b1tch to load and I often get a rap from a calf when he lets fly as I load him. Just securing a calf's head into the staller might be easier on man and beast.

I thought with the calf staller that I might use a rope or a strap to keep the calf tight to the gate when dehorning.

Some interesting thoughts. I'll have to think about it a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

I have a crate. To be honest I find it awkward. If I want to bring it to the outfarm, I have to load it into the trailer - its heavy and usually takes 2 to lift it in and 2 to lift it out. Its not a 1 man job. Its also a b1tch to load and I often get a rap from a calf when he lets fly as I load him. Just securing a calf's head into the staller might be easier on man and beast.

I thought with the calf staller that I might use a rope or a strap to keep the calf tight to the gate when dehorning.

Some interesting thoughts. I'll have to think about it a bit more.

Reilig,

Did you buy that staller in the end? I agree with you, the crates are a balls. It would be far easier to lock a strong calf in this than forcing him into a crate. Takes 2 to stop them jumping out over the sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone have one of these O’NEILL calf stallers that hang off the gate? What do ye think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Corkdairyfarmer

I have one of those calf stallers. Find a lot easier to set up and move around than the calf crate. It's easier to get the calf into it too. As for getting kicked, the calf does have more freedom to move around but you'll be standing in front of it so you shouldn't be getting kicked. I'm very happy I bought it and won't be going back to the crate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

put a good char in one one time and pulled it off the gate

Advertisement