Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning The Deposit

Options
  • 23-01-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice please :)

I'm renting a 3 bed apartment, the lease was in my name and another tenant.

Originally there was 3 of us living here and last year around March one of the guys moved out.

We found someone else to move in and returned the deposit paid to the original tenant after bills were paid etc.

The new tenant moved in. No new lease was signed and the landlord was happy with me finding someone to replace the original tenant.

Technically I guess I was now sub leasing and I was the new tenant's landlord.

We were given notice last month that she was moving out, she had been there over 6 months so I believe 5 weeks notice was required.

We had agreed when she moved in that if she was to move out she would help with finding someone to replace her and her deposit would be returned once someone had replaced her and once bills etc had been settled.

It's likely that bills won't be settled till end of Febuary / beginning of March to cover when she was living in the apartment. We have no forwarding details for her, just a number, to contact her so I'm hesitant about releasing deposit until bills are settled.

Also, during her time in the apartment a number of things were broken and needed repairing and it's likely further repairs will need to be carried out - back door is broken and so is her bed - neither of these were broken when she moved in. Is she responsible for any costs in repairing / replacing?

Also when she moved out a lot of delph etc vanished, dishwasher tablets etc (which we all contributed too at various times), her bedroom and her shelves / storage space weren't cleaned either etc and the responsibility was on us to tidy her mess.

I don't want this to drag on but I also don't want to be responsible for damage etc when I move out and have my deposit held.

I guess what I'm wondering is what are my rights?

Advertisement