Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unionists in the Republic?

• 23-01-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Do you know anyone in the republic who suppports Ireland joining the uk. I know my college had a unionist society back in the day and I have a relative who expressed his annoyance that east donegal wasnt incorporated into the north once.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I think we should be, but I'm not a unionist, I just think they would do a better job than the people we elect because Irish people are incapable of electing good officials. We shouldn't be trusted with a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I couldnt see to many being in favour of that, more chance of people being in favour of a united ireland joining the commonwealth maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Do you know anyone in the republic who suppports Ireland joining the uk. I know my college had a unionist society back in the day and I have a relative who expressed his annoyance that east donegal wasnt incorporated into the north once.
    The lost county is what we call it. Shame really. I think there is more Unionists in the Republic than some like to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Westminster or Brussels, I don't particularly care who saves us from our own ineptitude but I hope it happens soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

have a relative who expressed his annoyance that east donegal wasnt incorporated into the north once.

That's what the Boundary Commission planned to do and counties would be split
    Parts of Monaghan would be in NI but parts of Tyrone would not for example

But the plan was so radical it got rejected and they picked six counties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

I think we should be, but I'm not a unionist, I just think they would do a better job than the people we elect because Irish people are incapable of electing good officials. We shouldn't be trusted with a vote.

The grass is always greener....
    I think you'll find many in the UK have reasons to complain about their own officials, the ones that they voted in. Being part of the UK would not guarantee better officials representing us in the south - if you have a strong opinion about how we are governed then do something about it - run yourself. Surrendering your democratic rights to another country is not the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

have you seen the state of UK politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That's what the Boundary Commission planned to do and counties would be split
    Parts of Monaghan would be in NI but parts of Tyrone would not for example

But the plan was so radical it got rejected and they picked six counties

Yeah Derry city was meant to go to County Donegal and the town i live was going to be inside the ni border.

Our leaders live in Dublin but claim milage expenses from their second home in Cork
    Their leaders build houses for ducks and call it an expense

They're crooked all over the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

The felas Kevin Myers and David Norris are aren't they, I didn't think real people are unionist, what good would it actually do? We'd still have all the EU directives, we'd probably have a devolved parliament of some kind, the only thing I could see if we were back in the UK is that we couldn't keep our corporation tax and we'd be involved in deranged wars blowing up shepherds.

• Advertisement

Cork would be relegated to third city of Ireland:pac:

If you think they complain now they'd never shut up if this happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm not a Unionist and don't know anyone down here who is.

Perhaps it's a Boards phenomenon?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Gay Byrne & Conor Cruise O'Brien are\where two high profile Catholics who supported the Unionists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are all in the offices of the Sindo!*

*there I saved you a post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Splendid idea, I think they would benefit from mandatory Irish in their schools, although they'd need a hell of a landfill for all the union jacks. We'd probably have to share the revenue from England with France since it's basically a French colony, but all round I think suborning Westminster to the Dáil, giving them devolved powers, and hoisting the tricolour up there would be a real improvement for the average denizen of the UK. Lord knows they've only been on the downslope since we threw them out.
    Have you considered repeatedly running at the wall head first, might jolt loose a few neurons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Joining the UK would be a bad idea. I'm all for closer ties, but if we were to join the UK we'd lose out on a lot of investment as I could see the UK politicians wanting as much investment for "the mainland" as possible to keep the majority of the voters happy. We'd be treated like a second class province just like Northern Ireland is by the UK. Sure the Republic is financing a lot of the infrastructure in NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Cork would be relegated to third city of Ireland:pac:

If you think they complain now they'd never shut up if this happened

This is the best argument for joining the UK.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Joining the UK would be a bad idea. I'm all for closer ties, but if we were to join the UK we'd lose out on a lot of investment as I could see the UK politicians wanting as much investment for "the mainland" as possible to keep the majority of the voters happy. We'd be treated like a second class province just like Northern Ireland is by the UK. Sure the Republic is financing a lot of the infrastructure in NI.

LOL, they are on the British pigs back! Billions every year keeping half the adult population in cushy public sector employment, as for ROI financing a lot of infrastructure, its one road basically. The one from Dublin to Derry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Let's see: Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair (AKA Bertie Ahern), Gordon Brown (AKA Brian Cowen), Major, Cameron, etc etc. They also had the IMF in before we ever did (as far as I know).

There are a fair few unionists up in Donegal (and by fair few, I mean relative to how many you'd think there are). I was passing through a tiny little town and we stopped in at a pub, which turned out to be the 'protestant' pub. Talking to the owner, lovely guy but realised quite quickly that he was very, very pro-unionist.

Fairly sure there are a couple of orange order lodges up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭livinonaprayer

I am astounded that any Irish citizen today would wish to give up the freedom which their forefathers fought and died for. The people of Ireland should be proud of their heritage and thankful for their freedom and independence.

Ireland is a great country and although things aren't great economically at the moment, we will come through this as we have in the past. The world hasn't collapsed in on itself and we're all still here after all.

If Ireland were to join the union, could you imagine the devestating effect it would have on tourism? Of course the Euro has damaged tourism pretty badly, but I think we all know we would get screwed sideways by Westminster if we were foolish enough to rejoin the union. At a time when much of the world detests the British government, surely it is incomprehensible that anyone would advocate such a move?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

I know an orange couple alright but not sure what their political stance is with regards to NI - just wish they'd lay off the tanning beds.

mike65 wrote: »
    LOL, they are on the British pigs back! Billions every year keeping half the adult population in cushy public sector employment, as for ROI financing a lot of infrastructure, its one road basically. The one from Dublin to Derry.

And if we joined the UK do you think we'd be administered from Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway says No!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

At a time when much of the world detests the British government, surely it is incomprehensible that anyone would advocate such a move?
    I'd say a lot of the last dregs of unionist sentiment, rare as it is, will die out with the older generation over the next 10-20 years, those who grew up when the UK was still in the last spasms of "empire". People growing up these days would be more embarrassed by the idea than anything else.

What's that got to do with anything I said?, I never advocated turning the clock back, anyway Ireland is already a second class country (looks to Berlin/Paris). You were factually wrong and I pulled you up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I am astounded that any Irish citizen today would wish to give up the freedom which their forefathers fought and died for. The people of Ireland should be proud of their heritage and thankful for their freedom and independence.

Strangely enough, sentiments like the above will get you flamed quickly enough on AH for being a fuddy-duddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

I somewhat agree. We elected FG and Lab in the last General Election, the big mistake being putting Labour into a coalition with the only party running that are capable of cleaning up the mess a generation of Irish people and FF made. Labour have held FG back and we've seen very little progress with the unions and public sector, whilst a complete abandonment of the issues they said they themselves would tackle - an example being third level fees.

I honestly do not understand what anyone voting for Labour was trying to achieve, but they've managed to once again do damage to the future of this country by doing so.

You are right in saying two things; we have a lack of high quality candidates, and an electorate who have very short memories and vote in a manner which they feel will personally affect them the least, or when it comes to their pockets, affect them the most. We saw this with the reign of FF, a sleuth of morons kept voting for them on the back of more money promised, despite a boat load of very well regarded economists shouting "DANGER WILL ROBINSON!DANGER!" from the sidelines at every opportunity. We then saw these voters switch and vote for Labour when it became apparent that we were in trouble and had very tough times ahead, because I'm sure they felt that Labour would implement the least "tough" measures for them...when in reality, Labour have caused a lot of the "tough" measures due to protecting our over-inflated PS.

With regards to the candidates themselves, well, what do you expect? We're electing people who trained as teachers specifically so they would have sufficient spare time to pursue a political life and were then put on a series of PR courses by their respective parties in order to talk the talk publicly. It's a popularity contest and the fiasco involving George Lee served as proof of this. The man had no experience in anything but talking, was put in by Fine Gael to secure a seat whilst ousting the opportunity from a few very credible candidates and the Irish public lapped it up and voted for him in their drones.

The big question is whether re-joining the UK would actually have an impact on any of this and to be honest, at this stage I don't think it would. I would like Ireland to rejoin the UK for a number of reasons, but the quality of UK politicians isn't one of them.

At this stage, we have a good solution in place - we have one party in Government that isn't afraid to make tough decisions that will ultimately cost them their place in Government in a few years time, and a host of foreign experts basically telling them what needs to be done. We'll be back to a FF government in a few years on the back of promises of less tough measures and more money for all, the Irish electorate have shown that they're quick to forget - almost a quarter are already supporting FF again due to their unhappiness with having measures imposed that are needed to get the country back on track.

All we can hope at this stage is that FG and the Europeans manage to implement enough measures to ensure we get out of the hole we're in, in a reasonable amount of time, before FF are re-elected.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't describe myself as a unionist, however I hold a sometimes unpopular view that we were better off in the UK and that overall the ruling by the UK was a positive thing for Ireland and its development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

There are a few unfortunately, always has been.

Seems to be less outright Unionists these days, most seem contented with this "republic" (to the poster who said that they can't believe people would want to give away the freedom our forefathers died for - what we have, a gombeen republic, is sure as hell not what the likes of Connolly died for or what so many fought for in the war of independence, has anything in the democratic program of the first Dáil come about?)

There is still an annoying amount of west brits, but they generally don't go so far as to call for joining the UK. (no they are not one and the same)

And to those who spout sh!te like "we can't/don't deserve to govern ourselves" cop the **** on and stop being so pathetic and cringe-worthy. That kind of attitude disgusts me, people who spout that should get a good kick up the hole and cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

anyway Ireland is already a second class country (looks to Berlin/Paris).

They are not so bad, they give us billions every year to keep the country running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

quietriot wrote: »

For what it's worth, I wouldn't describe myself as a unionist, however I hold a sometimes unpopular view that we were better off in the UK and that overall the ruling by the UK was a positive thing for Ireland and its development.

Aye. There's nothing like cultural genocide, state backed sectarianism and the privilege of inflicting the same on others. Glory days indeed.

What's that got to do with anything I said?, I never advocated turning the clock back, anyway Ireland is already a second class country (looks to Berlin/Paris). You were factually wrong and I pulled you up on it.

I wasn't having a go at you, I was merely asking you a question.

Also regarding infrastructure I think it was more than the one road you mentioned. I believe the Republic contributed towards the Belfast section of the Dublin-Belfast road, in addition to the A5 and A8 (funding is approx. €400-500 million).

So you're the one that's factually wrong.

Jasus so kill me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No I don't know anyone who wants us to rejoin the UK - probably because it's a silly notion. Name one country that has ever "rejoined" somewhere - with full backing of the people.
    I thought this thread was about people in the republic who are unionists in the sense that they want Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom - there would be such folk down here all right, usually of an anglo-Irish background. Good few of them in Bandon, County Cork.
    And there are plenty of people who may not totally support the union, but respect the views of reasonable, moderate unionists.
    Speak for yourself with the "we" stuff. I do find a number of Irish people have an inferiority complex, this being one such example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Trolls.

Feed them rotten goat meat and brick up the bridges they live under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The lost county is what we call it. Shame really. I think there is more Unionists in the Republic than some like to think.

Yes. And the earth is probably also flat.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I'm presuming you're living here so don't have a problem with it? Glad you didn't say 'looks to UK' - practically a Third World country in parts nowadays....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

So you think the republic should be dissolved and the 26 counties reincorporated into the United Kingdom. Also you believe that the Irish people, newly subject to the British crown, should have their voting rights recinded.

Get the fcuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I think I can speak for the vast majority of the people of Donegal when I say that we're quite happy being "lost"! :p:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

LOL
    I sincerely doubt they would have us back, even if we begged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

From the GPO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Why would one care how many Unionists are in the Republic there is populations from nearly every country in the world living in the Republic, they are more than welcome to come and live.

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I think I can speak for the vast majority of the people of Donegal when I say that we're quite happy being "lost"! :p:D:D
    Such a beautiful place Donegal. I ain't saying you are lost but it is a county I wish we had got as part of N.I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Such a beautiful place Donegal. I ain't saying you are lost but it is a county I wish we had got as part of N.I.

Hadn't you enough people to discriminate against as it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Are you sure?:p

According to my old history teacher, Donegal was never completely conquered. :D

Noreen1 wrote: »
    Are you sure?:p

According to my old history teacher, Donegal was never completely conquered. :D
    Are you talking about pre 1922?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I have yet to meet anyone who can give me one convincing reason why independence has been beneficial to the 26 counties south of the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

There is Unionists living in the Republic and it's a perfectly valid opinion to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

in the last Dáil elections Donegal had a pretty strong republican vote with Mac Lochlainn, Doherty and Pringle all elected. If the unionists are so prominent they should contest elections and show it. We could easily call Tyrone, Fermanagh, Derry and Armagh "lost counties" seen as they have nationalist majorities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Lapin wrote: »
    I have yet to meet anyone who can give me one convincing reason why independence has been beneficial to the 26 counties south of the border.

Here's two for you.

Iraq and Afghanistan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Lapin wrote: »

Here's two for you.

Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Dunno, could have conscripted the population of liimerick and west Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement