Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unionists in the Republic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Dotsey wrote: »
    in the last Dáil elections Donegal had a pretty strong republican vote with Mac Lochlainn, Doherty and Pringle all elected. If the unionists are so prominent they should contest elections and show it. We could easily call Tyrone, Fermanagh, Derry and Armagh "lost counties" seen as they have nationalist majorities

There used to be a party called the donegal progressive party which was a sort of unionist party, its voters were uniformly protestant and they opposed any attempts at making n.i part of the ireland.

Also to the poster who said he thinks there are orange orders in donegal, there are one in every town in east donegal almost and a big parade http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0709/orange_parade.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Nevore wrote: »
    Dunno, could have conscripted the population of liimerick and west Dublin.

I don't understand. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Kevin Myarse, Eohgan Harris and the rest of the pricks in the Sindo. I know Mike65 said it already, but I never pass up a chance to have a go at those cnuts. They'd be happy if there was still people shot every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

dsmythy wrote: »
    There is Unionists living in the Republic and it's a perfectly valid opinion to have.

Drum bangin' orange hall unionists are as backward as the chucky aur law republican types.

Religious bullshite is all it is. Only thing it ever brought to this island was death, hate and strife.

Time for both sets of credulous peasants to be consigned to the history books. Irelands' enemy is no longer Britain, its Merkozy & the IMF and the Vatican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of the last dregs of unionist sentiment, rare as it is, will die out with the older generation over the next 10-20 years,

http://www.theiinlife.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/steam-out-my-ears-300x258.jpg
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    those who grew up when the UK was still in the last spasms of "empire". People growing up these days would be more embarrassed by the idea than anything else.

http://www.doyle.com.au/images/ie-stpat.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Here's two for you.

Iraq and Afghanistan.

There are a hell of a lot of Irish in the British army.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Yeah Derry city was meant to go to County Donegal and the town i live was going to be inside the ni border.

I think you are talking about raphoe are you? My God they messed up there. Derry City or Raphoe. Can we still swap :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nah ive no desire to see lizzie windsor thinking she has dominion over us again. Jamica will soon kick her out as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Advertisement

Nah ive no desire to see lizzie windsor thinking she has dominion over us again. Jamica will soon kick her out as well.

they're jamaican a huge mistake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Drum bangin' orange hall unionists are as backward as the chucky aur law republican types.

Religious bullshite is all it is. Only thing it ever brought to this island was death, hate and strife.

Time for both sets of credulous peasants to be consigned to the history books. Irelands' enemy is no longer Britain, its Merkozy & the IMF and the Vatican.

Who said anything about Orangemen and religion? We're talking about Unionism here.

pmcmahon wrote: »

That's great. If we ever had the Unionists and British running riot in the north again their experience in weapons and tactics would be valuable. /sarc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Great documentary. Some great patriots on it too.

they're jamaican a huge mistake!

What are you, a teacher. So what if i spelt it wrong.

What are you, a teacher. So what if i spelt it wrong.

wow the joke really went over your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Lapin wrote: »
    I have yet to meet anyone who can give me one convincing reason why independence has been beneficial to the 26 counties south of the border.

We probably wouldn't have gained as much from the EU as we did - proportionally speaking Northern Ireland received less as it was regarded as a region of a country rather than a state in itself.

And while Britain may be doing better at the moment its economic position is by no means fantastic...

wow the joke really went over your head.

Yeah i get it now, the brain was a a bit slow.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Kevin Myarse, Eohgan Harris and the rest of the pricks in the Sindo. I know Mike65 said it already, but I never pass up a chance to have a go at those cnuts. They'd be happy if there was still people shot every day.

yep, they're all rolled into this gaggle of clowns

http://www.reform.org/site/aims/

with the sindo blaring out their agenda in between photos of up and coming 'models' and stories of hardship with a city centre apartment.

Some people still living in the 20th century here.

And some who think Britain is still 'great' and the glory days of Empire (read gun-point colonialism) are alive and well.

Fantasists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...which, were it true, would still put them roughly one century ahead of a few others on the "unionist" side.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...which, were it true, would still put them roughly one century ahead of a few others on the "unionist" side.

Southern Unionists are a different breed. More neo-Unionists than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd make it about 3 centuries and 22 years.:P

Its hard work being a Unionist in the Republic I'll have you know, mind you its not all bad, we've had the Queen's visit and the Prime Minister too, we can get BBC & SKY sports here, we are free to play Cricket & the two codes of football, and most of the natives seem to have warmed to us in recent years, Nationalists in the North & Unionists in the South, who would have thought! we're all the same on the inside anyway, different strokes for different folkes, and the island's big enough for all of us to cohabit, so live and let live I say :))

LordSutch wrote: »
    ..........., so live and let live I say :))

Really? You're sure thats what you say?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'd make it about 3 centuries and 22 years.:P

Always best to be generous, I was thinking.

Yep

So you never said you'd have "rebel music" banned in hotels etc then?

Really? You're sure thats what you say?

Dear Lord, is it coats off time again . . . .

Go on then, you start, take a punch, and I'll try not to hit back too hard :rolleyes:

Dear Lord, is it coats off time again . . . .

Go on then, you start, take a punch, and I'll try not to hit back too hard :rolleyes:

Well...its not very "live and let live", is it?

So you never said you'd have "rebel music" banned in hotels etc then?

I said that I had an awful time with a terrible Pro IRA rabble in our local Hotel, the Rebel music seemed to attract an awful crowd that night + the toilets leaved a lot to be desired (on several occassions).

• Advertisement

Come on then, your punch . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I said that I had an awful time with a terrible Pro IRA rabble in our local Hotel, the Rebel music seemed to attract an awful crowd that night + the toilets leaved a lot to be desired (on several occassions).

Dirty protest?

I said that I had an awful time with a terrible rabble in our local Hotel, the Rebel music seemed to attract am awful crowd.

We'll let the search function be the arbiter on that......enter "banned".....and what do we get.....2nd result
    Not the 1st time the toilest have not been cleaned, and as far as I'm concerned Rebel music should be banned in Hotels, Pubs & Clubs.
    (my bold)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76192745&postcount=170

Not very "live and let live", as I said. On the other hand, I've no objection to cricket, orange parades or football going on at all. Free country now, and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Are you talking about pre 1922?

I'm talking about ever.

According to him, every part of Donegal was conquered at one time or another, but never all of it at once. There were apparently always pockets of resistance.

Given the geographic characteristics of the County, there are certainly areas that would be very defensible.

Besides, we were apparently " a rebellious and troublesome people" :paccording to one report that was sent to London. I can't remember where I read that, though. I rather suspect it might have been in a book of local history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Ireland is Ireland and Britain is Britain instead of revisiting history year after year we should build a better friendship that will be of mutual bennefit to us both.

We have a different mentality and different cultural traits than British people and thats what people should respect and remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Such a beautiful place Donegal. I ain't saying you are lost but it is a county I wish we had got as part of N.I.

Is it "Ulster" or "Norn Iron"? Another identity crisis!

Lapin wrote: »
    I have yet to meet anyone who can give me one convincing reason why independence has been beneficial to the 26 counties south of the border.

We don't have to kiss the Queen's arse.

We'll let the search function be the arbiter on that......enter "banned".....and what do we get.....2nd result

(my bold)

Very Bold indeed Nodin, I don't like pro IRA rebel songs, they should be banned from pubs & clubs because they are hateful, they really are, and my post re the IRA rebble songs was posted in a heated Pro IRA Rebel debate, and we had seen the supporters at 1st hand in our local Hotel.

Regarding "This Thread" I entered Post#75 in a light hearted & friendly way, and as usual their you were 'poised' over your keyboard to attack me, & as always dig up (an out of context post) from another long dead thread > THANKS again Nodin.
    Not very "live and let live", as I said. On the other hand, I've no objection to cricket, orange parades or football going on at all. Free country now, and all that.

I thought in Post#75 was very friendly and lighthearted, but as regards the other thread, you are correct "I don't like Pro IRA Rebel music", and while I'm at it, I never mentioned Orange parades, as I am not of the Orange persuasion, but if they want to parade in the Republic (and I think they do in Doneygal)? then that's cool I guess, as long as its done in a non-hateful & respectful way.

Over to you . . .

• Advertisement

We all have our problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

There's a very simple solution, yet difficult to implement in this country:

STOP VOTING FOR RETARDS!

We don't need to go back in with a union with Britain, we've very good ties with the UK as it stands, we're their largest trading partner and vice versa. Why ruin a good thing by getting serious and being administered from London?

Just stop voting for parties and career politicians and vote on actual issues and people with the appropriate qualifications and character (i.e. not a complete pussy who's willing to bend over for Europe and someone who actually understands economic and social policies, not a primary school teacher biding their time to claim two pensions). Of course such a radical concept is lost on the 'he fixed the roads and his daddy was a good FF/FG man' type of people that are still transfixed on non-existent political differences stemming from the civil war.

I think the last real unionists down south are pretty much dead now or are that old as to have only but a few marbles knocking about in any case. It's 2012, not 1912.

Very Bold indeed Nodin, I don't like pro IRA rebel songs, they should be banned from pubs & clubs because they are hateful, they really are, and my post re the IRA rebble songs was posted in a heated Pro IRA Rebel debate.

Regarding "This Thread" I entered Post#75 in a light hearted & friendly way, and as usual their you were 'poised' over your keyboard to attack me, & as always dig up (an out of context post) from another long dead thread > . . .

Nothing out of context at all. You want an element of a culture you dislike banned. Thats obviously contrary to your supposed "live and let live" policy. I just think it best that people be a bit more honest about exactly where they stand and what they stand for.

Now you may hanker for the days when people had to refer to things in song by various metaphors and codes but we, fans of modern freedoms that we are, don't fancy a return to that, thanks bunches.

El Siglo wrote: »
    I think the last real unionists down south are pretty much dead now or are that old as to have only but a few marbles knocking about in any case. It's 2012, not 1912.

Not quite dead yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

The only Unionists in the Republic of Ireland are the ones who live under bridges on the Internet

Nothing out of context at all. You want an element of a culture you dislike banned. Thats obviously contrary to your supposed "live and let live" policy. I just think it best that people be a bit more honest about exactly where they stand and what they stand for.

If I had my way, IRA Rebel songs would be banned from Hotels & Clubs, Yes!
    Now you may hanker for the days when people had to refer to things in song by various metaphors and codes but we, fans of modern freedoms that we are, don't fancy a return to that, thanks bunches.

You are talking out of your asre Sir, I never said that in Post#75, and that^ is not my thinking > You really are stirring the sh1t.

• Advertisement

If I had my way, IRA Rebel songs would be banned from Hotels & Clubs, Yes!.

So we're not going to here anymore of this "live and let live" double speak then?
    You are talking out of your asre Sir, I never said that in Post#75, and that^ is not my thinking > You really are stirring the sh1t.

Well, thats what happened when 'seditious' songs were banned last time round, afaik, its only logical the same pattern would emerge again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

El Siglo wrote: »
    There's a very simple solution, yet difficult to implement in this country:

STOP VOTING FOR RETARDS!

We don't need to go back in with a union with Britain, we've very good ties with the UK as it stands, we're their largest trading partner and vice versa. Why ruin a good thing by getting serious and being administered from London?

Just stop voting for parties and career politicians and vote on actual issues and people with the appropriate qualifications and character (i.e. not a complete pussy who's willing to bend over for Europe and someone who actually understands economic and social policies, not a primary school teacher biding their time to claim two pensions). Of course such a radical concept is lost on the 'he fixed the roads and his daddy was a good FF/FG man' type of people that are still transfixed on non-existent political differences stemming from the civil war.

You say stop voting for retards but what options do they really have?

So we're not going to here anymore of this "live and let live" double speak then?

Live & let live within reason, (No IRA Rebel songs in Hotles & Clubs) would not be an infringement on a live & let live approach (in this New Ireland at peace) with itself and with Britain.
    Well, thats what happened when 'seditious' songs were banned last time round, afaik, its only logical the same pattern would emerge again.

After thirty five years of the troubles, with so much hate, dont you think its time to stop banging the old drum? If I'd known post#75 was going to cause you so much angst I would't have bothered.

Can we move on now . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

woodoo wrote: »
    I think you are talking about raphoe are you? My God they messed up there. Derry City or Raphoe. Can we still swap :D

Ha even id admit that ha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

The lost county is what we call it. Shame really. I think there is more Unionists in the Republic than some like to think.
    Donegal the lost county of the UK???

Let me tell you if Donegal had been partitioned .. the trouble in South Armagh wouldve looked like school playgroud fights with the resources , countryside & men the IRA would have had here!

• Advertisement
Advertisement