Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your least favourite grammar mistakes

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I know I was a-dressing your post but I had no reason to mention the hemline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Mistakes regarding the usual They're, There, Their, You're, Your, Been, being etc drive me to distraction.

Special venom is reserved for the misuse of spacing...like one before a comma, or even the odd time, a comma used instead of an apostrophe!

''i went to the shops to get they're bread , after been to you,re house''.

Lack of capitalisation is annoying too.

I know my grammar isn't perfect, but at least I try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm not a fan of all that stuff as I'm just that way inclined - it does stand out a mile to me, but that's fair enough I think, once you don't say it to the person, because they might not find it so easy. It's not always laziness or stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Hear this on RTÉ television all the time - people saying tenderhooks. It's tenterhooks.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    Hear this on RTÉ television all the time - people saying tenderhooks. It's tenterhooks.

You need one of them tenderhooks to go along with a fine toothcomb.

Here's something to keep you pedants amused for a while:)

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I seen... It's 'I saw' or 'I've seen'. It's not that difficult!

What's with "gotten"? Has crept in more and more in the last few years. Are we all Americans now?

I seen... It's 'I saw' or 'I've seen'. It's not that difficult!

What's with "gotten"? Has crept in more and more in the last few years. Are we all Americans now?

Gotten is an old usage which has persisted in America. Good to see it making the reverse journey.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_gotten_correct_grammar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    While I don't run round the internet correcting dodgy grammar, I do value good grammar - especially in a more formal setting. I also don't understand the hatred towards those who value grammar. It doesn't make you an idiot or a troll. 'S nothing wrong with using correct grammar.
    I don't think anyone has said that - I've a fairly strong grasp of grammar/punctuation/spelling and nobody has ridiculed me for it. The hostility is towards correcting people whose grammar/punctuation/spelling isn't strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Voice of Ireland on the television are pairing off singers and saying things like 'may the best win'. Should be better not best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

matrim wrote: »
    Their are just do many I dont know where to start

You did, with a capital, but you should have ended with a full stop and maybe an apostrophe after the 'n' in don't. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Most of them seem to stem from laziness/leaving school at the age of 14.
    My pet hate;

They + Are = "They're"

Not "there" Or "their"! ;)
    So what???
    some people are better at English than others. I don't get annoyed at all. Once I know what they mean and I can understand them I don't get pissed off. I despise grammar nazis; there are way worse problems than a simple grammar or spelling mistake. WHO CARES!

My pet hate;

They + Are = "They're"

So what???
    some people are better at English than others. I don't get annoyed at all. Once I know what they mean and I can understand them I don't get pissed off. I despise grammar nazis; there are way worse problems than a simple grammar or spelling mistake. WHO CARES!

Why do people write posts ?

So people will read them.

If you want people to read what you write and take you in any way seriously, write properly.

Otherwise the "who cares" will be the response to your having a point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

furiousox wrote: »
    I've heard teachers saying "I seen" so it's no wonder the kids are using it too.
    Altogether now...

I seen
    You seen
    He seen
    We seen
    They seen

:mad:

Scary stuff if its really true. They also have their fair share of grammatical foibles across the water. I once knew a primary school teacher in South London who persisted in saying things like 'we was there', 'I was sat', 'he was stood' + many more variations, in what they call "non standard English". I always found it disconcerting to hear a school teacher using this 'modern speak' when she should be setting the example, preferably in standard English.

Noel Gallagher (Oasis) on the Late Late tonight "I was sat" . . . .

Irish people are much better with their 'I was sitting', we were standing, they were sitting etc, than many English people, but, as furiousox says, many Irish people really do have problems with I seen (I saw), he seen (he saw), they seen (saw) etc etc etc . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    My pet hate;

They + Are = "They're"

So what???

If you want people to read what you write and take you in any way seriously, write properly.

Yes people write posts so they can EXPRESS THEIR VIEW. So what if there are mistakes does that make them any less?
    As long az it iznt txt spk den itz ok cz dts anyin! gt my pnt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

people using "on my behalf" instead of "on my part" eg 'Well on my own behalf I believe yada yada yada'

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You wouldn't be mixing up 'on my part' and 'for my part' there would you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

I never knew people felt so highly about the english language. I'm also very surprised people think you should have diploma level grammar skills to post in an internet forum . How petty are you people. Just cause johnners ma spent money on dutch gold instead of books for him doesnt mean he shouldn't have an opinion .I am just never arsed putting in commas and apostrophes , I find them the fat in the english language that needs to be cut.
    Im making the english language more efficient

cloptrop wrote: »
    I never knew people felt so highly about the english language. I'm also very surprised people think you should have diploma level grammar skills to post in an internet forum . How petty are you people. Just cause johnners ma spent money on dutch gold instead of books for him doesnt mean he shouldn't have an opinion .I am just never arsed putting in commas and apostrophes , I find them the fat in the english language that needs to be cut.

You are an eagle. Eagles are all about efficiency:)

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I've noticed the same mistakes cropping up on Facebook a lot so these are the ones that really annoy me.
    "Loose" as in "I need to loose weight". No, you need to lose weight.
    "See you misses" as in that old Dublin word for "Mrs".
    "I should of" as in "I should have"
    "It's boltic cold out" as in "Baltic".

That's it for now but if I think of more, I'll come back! ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yes people write posts so they can EXPRESS THEIR VIEW. So what if there are mistakes does that make them any less?

When they're extraordinarily simple mistakes that alter the entire meaning of a sentence, then yes they do matter.

I just tend to ignore posts that are full of mistakes as I can't be bothered trying to figure out what they mean. Many people are the same. In that case, the point that was trying to be made is just lost due to something as simple as poor grammar.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    My pet hate;

They + Are = "They're"

So what???

They can express their view all they want.

If there are basic spelling and grammar errors people are more likely to ignore the post and therefore the said view, or at the very least not take the post seriously.

If you're the one who wants to make a point then it is up to you to make the point clearly and without basic errors.

Put it this way - if someone didn't ever research or check the spelling of a word what else didn't they check before formulating their opinion ?

Facts and figures, maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

cloptrop wrote: »

Some small mistakes do make a big difference. "Your" instead of "you're" for example, really interrupts the flow of a sentence for me as I expect to see a noun after "your" but am faced with an adjective. And there are many worse mistakes on here.
    I can usually manage to understand a post riddled with small errors, but sometimes it's just too much work, trying to figure out which word was meant in place of the wrong one that was written, or what a misspelled word is supposed to be.
    I could put in that work, but I shouldn't have to when reading the work of a native speaker. Sure there are learning difficulties which affect people's writing abilities, but there are too many poorly-written posts for them all to be accounted by that.
    However, many mistakes are forgiveable. The occasional mistake is understandable, especially with a language with so many irregularities as English.
    But lots of errors reflect poorly on the writer and requires too much effort from the reader.

No-one's asking for a perfect standard of English, as no-one has that. A little care in terms of looking after the basics and reviewing post before posting goes a long way.

Also, I don't think most posters here are demanding people improve their grammar. It's about one's least favourite mistakes. You can get annoyed by a mistake but still understand why people make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

The clue is in bold, If the expression is inarticulate or jumbled then the view is not conveyed. It's a bit like the drunk guy in the pub who wants to join in the conversation but can't string a coherent sentence together.

Small irritating errors are exactly that, small and irritating, but often a minor error can change the nuance and meaning of an entire statement. Sometimes the change only affects one sentence and can be worked around, but if it's a strategic element of an argument then the argument is derailed.

I participate in several technical forums with international contributors, many of whose first language is not english, and discussions often stumble along through differing national conversational styles, the technical words are universal, the english is variable, but it can all collapse because of bad punctuation.

In fairness though each form/standard of written communication has it's own place.
    • txt spk s fyn wen on mbl fon s qwk n ez
    • Shootin the s**** in AH dunt require korectness its chat who cares if its lazy
    • Discussions, in which we wish to share and compare opinions, should be presented in an manner designed to optimise communication.

Advertisement