Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Help!!

• 23-01-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Ok so the mocks are coming up soon!

I'm doing History and I am SCREWED! MY teacher never gives us tests or notes! I'm just wondering how ye do yer notes and what do ye think will come up in the exam in June?

PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭xENDZEITx

The apprentice boys might come up but im not really sure. Sorry i cant help any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Cill94

look through the papers and you'll see that in the last 5 years there has always been a question on one of:

Dict. & Democ: Propaganda, Stalin, Mussolini, German Economy

Irish Sovereignty and Partition: The Anglo-Irish Treaty, Eucharistic Congress, Rise of Sinn Fein, Promotion of Irish Culture and N.Ireland during WW2

study those and you're highly unlikely to get caught out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I feel your pain!

Study the case studies, they almost always come up in some way. If you're doing sov & partition you can almost get away with the two governments' policies on anglo-irish relations and the economy and establishing law and order, plus the case studies/unionist party in power (i actually have no idea about that because we never did it in class...but it comes up loads according to my revision book!). because the eucharistic congress is a case study and is happening in ireland in 2012 i guess it could come up. im gonna study it anyway :D

my other irish history book is the northern ireland one - sunningdale comes up all the time with the angloirish agreement and downing street declaration. also study the welfare state and all of brookeborough/oneill - theres another case study in there. should be fine then! :)

NICRA is easy enough too and has come up in the past.

for dictatorship and democracy i'd say hitler might come up...2010 was stalin and 2011 was the exact same question but on mussolini! ;)
    warfare tech came up in 2006 and 2009 so it could be due up again but pretty much everyone seems to skip that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I'm doing History and I am SCREWED! MY teacher never gives us tests or notes! I'm just wondering how ye do yer notes and what do ye think will come up in the exam in June?

PLEASE HELP!
    Have a look here - there are handouts and revision powerpoints on the site

leavingcerthistory.net

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Truebattle

Irish sovereignty and partition if you study the cumann na ngaedhael and Fianna fail governments policies you should be ok. I think maybe a contrast between their economic policies. For 1870 to 1912 if you study parnell you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

I've a LOAD of essays typed up if anyone wants them?

Irish History:
    1. How did divisions over the Treaty lead to civil war in Ireland in 1922
    2. What were the main social and economic challenges facing Northern Ireland from 1920 to 1939
    3. Sinn Fein's success in 1918
    4. PLAN...To what extent did the 1932 Eucharistic Congress and
    5. PLAN...How did the Unionist Party in power respond to the challenges posed by the existence of a substantial nationalist minority within Northern Ireland
    6. PLAN...During the period 1912
    7. Account for victory of Sinn Fein in 1918 General Election

European History:
    1. What were the difficulties associated with the British withdrawal from India 1945
    2. Why did the Belgian withdrawal from the Congo lead to political and social chaos in the country
    3. How did race relations become a major issue in France in the period 1945 to 1990
    4. Why did the US experience an economic boom in the 1950s and 1960s
    5. Why did the US economy decline from the mid
    6. What is the significance of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
    7. 28. Moon Landing impact on domestic and foreign affairs

SOME OF THESE ESSAYS ARE NOT MY OWN WORK, THEY HAVE BEEN EMAILED TO ME BY OTHER STUDENTS. I AM NOT IN ANYWAY TRYING TO SAY THIS IS ALL MINE. THE MAJORITY OF IT IS.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Have a look here - there are handouts and revision powerpoints on the site

leavingcerthistory.net
    I honestly cannot thank you enough. That site is a godsend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

PLEASE HELP!

Looking at the pattern I'd say for the Parnell book (sorry too lazy to write the name) that The Land Q might come up and the GAA with the Gaelic League or on its own. Don't bother with the strike and lockout it only comes up every two years or so.

For Sovereignty and Partition I'd say the treaty Q (fingers crossed) and more than likely the Eucharistic Congress. CnG and FF always come up. I avoid them like the plague though- so boring.

European History- I'm caught here since all three leaders came up last year but I'm going with a propaganda Q, leaning towards Nuremburg rallies. Oh and the warfare technology (I love that chapter!).

Hope that helped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

silversky wrote: »
    Looking at the pattern I'd say for the Parnell book (sorry too lazy to write the name) that The Land Q might come up and the GAA with the Gaelic League or on its own. Don't bother with the strike and lockout it only comes up every two years or so.

For Sovereignty and Partition I'd say the treaty Q (fingers crossed) and more than likely the Eucharistic Congress. CnG and FF always come up. I avoid them like the plague though- so boring.

European History- I'm caught here since all three leaders came up last year but I'm going with a propaganda Q, leaning towards Nuremburg rallies. Oh and the warfare technology (I love that chapter!).

Hope that helped!
    I second the Eucharistic Congress.
    And Hitler's Foreign Policy is one to look out for. Never been asked I think, and Hitler's due to come up in some form this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Every year people look at Hitlers foreign policy and think that is bound to come up so I wouldn't put a single egg in that basket.

For Dictators, Learn Hitler (including foreign policy) and Mussolini. Seeing as you are low on time this should genuinely see you safe. Alternatively you could learn the three case studies since you are guaranteed a question which includes or directly relates to a case study in each section. Ignore WW2 completely, this has come up once in the papers.

For Documents, you could easily learn the three in one/two nights. Theres not a lot to be covered and the Essay is worth 40 marks in the Documents. If you get out of the document with 85/90 then you will be motoring. This isn't overly difficult as most get 55+ in the first questions in the document.

For Ireland, Cumann na nGaedheal and Devs Fianna Fail aren't that difficult and you should get a question out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

This year is the 80th anniversary of the 1932 Eucharistic Congress, and I think there's another one being held in Ireland this year. I would really imagine that this could come up in the exam due to that.

The Cumann na Gaedhael government actually organised everything for it, but because Fianna Fail had just recently came to power, they got all the credit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 csheils1

chomps_x wrote: »
    I've a LOAD of essays typed up if anyone wants them?

Irish History:
    1. How did divisions over the Treaty lead to civil war in Ireland in 1922
    2. What were the main social and economic challenges facing Northern Ireland from 1920 to 1939
    3. Sinn Fein's success in 1918
    4. PLAN...To what extent did the 1932 Eucharistic Congress and
    5. PLAN...How did the Unionist Party in power respond to the challenges posed by the existence of a substantial nationalist minority within Northern Ireland
    6. PLAN...During the period 1912
    7. Account for victory of Sinn Fein in 1918 General Election

European History:
    1. What were the difficulties associated with the British withdrawal from India 1945
    2. Why did the Belgian withdrawal from the Congo lead to political and social chaos in the country
    3. How did race relations become a major issue in France in the period 1945 to 1990
    4. Why did the US experience an economic boom in the 1950s and 1960s
    5. Why did the US economy decline from the mid
    6. What is the significance of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
    7. 28. Moon Landing impact on domestic and foreign affairs

SOME OF THESE ESSAYS ARE NOT MY OWN WORK, THEY HAVE BEEN EMAILED TO ME BY OTHER STUDENTS. I AM NOT IN ANYWAY TRYING TO SAY THIS IS ALL MINE. THE MAJORITY OF IT IS.

:D
    Could you please send those to me? Have lost all my essays :(

Advertisement