Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Darkness 2 (PC Xbox PS3)

Options
  • 23-01-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The Darkness 2 is the upcoming sequel to 2007's hit game from 2K, The Demo hit Xbox Live for gold subscribers (im not sure about Ps3 or steam) and it is loads of fun, I really like ripping peoples heads and hearts off and then throwing them against walls/their friends.
    There seems to be RPG elements involved as in you get points for stylish kills which you spend building your charecter in four different directions, In the demo I went with a kind gun upgrade route so I got bullets for eating hearts. Its a really nice addition and it makes you want to play as well as possible and as demonicly as possible.
    The graphics have gotten an upgrade too now it kinda looks like cell shading but then the background is more realistic an ofcourse you can shoot out lights and use the geomatry to make your kills and heal.
    I was'nt really looking forward to this as I kinda got bored with the first one but everything has gotten such a good upgrade im willing to put 60 quid in on day one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus better root out my PS2 again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

that ps2 is a real technological gem! its a shame i am stuck with crapy ps3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Sorry typo :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I changed it for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I played a good bit of it while visiting with 2K last year. The art style threw me initially as it is very different but i settled into it quite quickly. I really liked the first one but replayed it recently and its pretty dated now. Fingers crossed this is good as i like Jackie.

• Advertisement

I played a good bit of it while visiting with 2K last year. The art style threw me initially as it is very different but i settled into it quite quickly. I really liked the first one but replayed it recently and its pretty dated now. Fingers crossed this is good as i like Jackie.

Ending was good I heard in first one.

It does look cool, one of the rare cases when comic book games are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I only played the demo if the 1st one and didn't like it. Saw a vid of the new one and the cel shading looks very strange but the action looked mental. He was gunning his way through a sex club, was hilarious the stuff going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i was and still am a fan of the first game, had some nice elements. i dont know, it was just something that i really got into

this looks better, hopefully that will continue inthe game play too. But this is not a release day game. it will be bought down the line when its dropped about 20 quid in price. because while i liked the game, and have played it through 3-4 times, its not in my classsics pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

demo is up on PSN. feels good to eat some hearts again!!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The original is a classic. Its mostly down to the story that i rate it so highly. The combat can be pretty clunky, but as far as narrative in games goes, i think its possibly the best example this gen. The bad guys are human, which makes them scarier and more believable, (at no point do they go super saiyan form a la Atlas in Bioshock), theyre jsut bad, evil people, and theres just so many 'woah' moments in the narrative.
    Ive never played a game where i personally wanted to get revenge on the baddie quite as much as i did with Uncle Paulie in the darkness.

The sequel seems to have vastly improved the gameplay flaws from the first but probably will wind up with a weaker story

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought the narrative was pretty crap to be honest in the first game. Good acting, and some clever set piece ideas but the dialogue was clunky and cliche and the was like a really bad 'ooh look isn't it so dark and gritty' graphic novel that was trying too hard. Anyway this is by a different team so hopefully it will be better although the property is a bit crap in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thought the narrative was pretty crap to be honest in the first game. Good acting, and some clever set piece ideas but the dialogue was clunky and cliche and the was like a really bad 'ooh look isn't it so dark and gritty' graphic novel that was trying too hard. Anyway this is by a different team so hopefully it will be better although the property is a bit crap in all honesty.

the voice acting was truly superb in the first game. mike patton is back but it sounds like somebody else is voicing Jackie which is a bit of a let-down. :(

dan hibiki wrote: »
    the voice acting was truly superb in the first game. mike patton is back but it sounds like somebody else is voicing Jackie which is a bit of a let-down. :(

Yeah can't fault the voice work at all, top notch stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I played the demo and I can say this seems very good. The first was really good too :)

Hopefully the second one wont change the formula too much. There was much more than just going around shooting all the time in the first. Hopefully that element is present too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

This didn't strike me as good as the first but that may be because that was a launch title so seemed a better game. But alas, only a demo..

There's no doubting jackie's cockney cohort in the union flag is insufferable though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

This due out on Friday in Ireland?. Google says its out tomorrow in the US and then Europe 10th February . What i've seen so far on you tube looks good.

Is there a review embargo? Usually that isn't a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Is there a review embargo? Usually that isn't a good thing.

Was thinking same when I went looking earlier, hate that BS but that's another thread.

I liked the demo but didn't love it, I'll wait for a reliable review and/or a price drop I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Well helix, you newer steered me wrong direction with your reviews, though I will give it a skip. :(

I want to get twisted metal or ps vita this month, so don't want to spend any extra money!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I quite liked the first - the game I played certainly bears only the most minor of resemblances to the game war crime retr0 describes.

What is turning me off is all those previews saying how they've toned up the 'mature' (read: immature) content. If there's one thing gaming doesn't need, it's more violence / sexism / childish obscenities.

Still: quad wielding FTW!

Well helix, you newer steered me wrong direction with your reviews, though I will give it a skip. :(

I want to get twisted metal or ps vita this month, so don't want to spend any extra money!

twisted metal was delayed til march 7th over there

I quite liked the first - the game I played certainly bears only the most minor of resemblances to the game war crime retr0 describes.

What is turning me off is all those previews saying how they've toned up the 'mature' (read: immature) content

it's gory, but it is a genuinely mature take on the genre in terms of the narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Just played the demo there and thought it was greatfun, a bit different from the traditional shooter. I never played the first one. I'm tempted by this.

Helix wrote: »

Nice review and it sold me, well it did for it not for the length of the campaign. When I read that I said you have to be sh***ing me ???? and re-read it :eek:

calex71 wrote: »
    Nice review and it sold me, well it did for it not for the length of the campaign. When I read that I said you have to be sh***ing me ???? and re-read it :eek:

i got through it in about 6h 25 i think (i never time these things properly, when i really, really should), but im pretty sure it can be done faster if you simply leg it through the levels. conversely, if you're not faced with having to get your review written by a certain time so you can go to the shop to get stuff for dinner, then you'll probably just as easily make it last longer

jesus i just noticed i typed 5-6 hours instead of 5-7 hours haha

jesus i just noticed i typed 5-6 hours instead of 5-7 hours haha

Not much difference at the end of the day when it comes to parting with 50 euro and kingdoms of amalur out the same day

twisted metal was delayed til march 7th over there

Aaaaaa ****.... I guess, because of all that " too gory and scary for 18 year old kids" ****? Is it delayed in US too? Might aswell import it with no cut outs.

Well I guess ps vita it is then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

This better be good, really enjoyed the first game, i liked the way the heavy music kicked in while you were in combat, the characters also immersed me into the game and i couldn't wait to get revenge on uncle Paulie.

Advertisement