Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Darkness 2 (PC Xbox PS3)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

A five to six hour linear shooter with about 2 hours of multiplayer... really? I am totally waiting for this to be pre-owned in about a year if I even bother with it at all.

I am so ashamed I made this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

A five to six hour linear shooter with about 2 hours of multiplayer... really? I am totally waiting for this to be pre-owned in about a year if I even bother with it at all.

I am so ashamed I made this thread.

tbh it's better than 99% of shooters out there

of course if youre an online deathmatch whore you probably won't like it. personally im sick of that crap at this stage

• Helix wrote: »
    i got through it in about 6h 25 i think (i never time these things properly, when i really, really should), but im pretty sure it can be done faster if you simply leg it through the levels. conversely, if you're not faced with having to get your review written by a certain time so you can go to the shop to get stuff for dinner, then you'll probably just as easily make it last longer

Do you mind me asking on what difficulty did you complete this on? And is it quality over quantity? Length should not always be an issue :P

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking on what difficulty did you complete this on? And is it quality over quantity? Length should not always be an issue :P

on the default settings, and yeah it is quality over quantity, absolutely

Helix wrote: »

of course if youre an online deathmatch whore you probably won't like it. personally im sick of that crap at this stage
    I dont play multiplayer co-op or competitive so paying 60 euro for 5-6 hours no matter how good the game is just is not worth it. I will wait until its second hand and the company that makes it loses a customer and money. More people need to make a stand against this 6 hour malarkey. These companies are crying because we buy or sell pre-owned yet they do nothing to to make me want to buy a new game and keep it.

• Advertisement

I dont play multiplayer co-op or competitive so paying 60 euro for 5-6 hours no matter how good the game is just is not worth it. I will wait until its second hand and the company that makes it loses a customer and money. More people need to make a stand against this 6 hour malarkey. These companies are crying because we buy or sell pre-owned yet they do nothing to to make me want to buy a new game and keep it.

see, the 6 hour thing doesnt really bother me if it's actually a really good game

ever played an 8-10 hour game where you're wondering when the hell it's ever going to end so you can put it to bed? i have. and it's becoming all too frequent an event

give me this over it any day

If you are getting tired of games after 6 hours, what does that say about the game?

If you are getting tired of games after 6 hours, what does that say about the game?

that's pretty much my point, and the reason why the darkness, despite being shorter, is actually better than the vast majority of shooters on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Look at it like this, the original Max Payne games lasted between five and seven hours. If they had dragged on for ten or more hours they would have gotten monotonous. Does that mean they were inferior or weren't worth the money? Of course not, they're two of the greatest action games of all time.

On a side note, the game is available up the road from you in Smyths for €50, rather than the €60 you were quoting earlier, should you change your mind. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Slightly perturbed by the sequel described as linear. Straighforward, blinkered type approach. I liked to get lost in the first - is it true the new jackie cries himself asleep to dream theater?! this is dropping in priority behind Catherine and Grand Slam tennis 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Fairly mediocre review up now on Gametrailers. I have played the demo a couple of times, still not sure about this one. Was gonna pick either this up or Gears of War 3 over the weekend, might go with the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

This out early anywhere today?

seems to pick up after the demo section. surprised they're not into the 4th instalment or thereabouts of an ideal comic-to-game franchise tbh as jackie is perfectly equipped.. nearly 5yr is a while for a sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I loved the first game and i'm enjoying this a lot, though not quite to the same extent as the first. I'm not finding it boring in the slightest :)

The field of view is awful though..everything feels way too close. I've started playing it with my 360 pad and sitting a fair bit back from the monitor to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Helix wrote: »

The shootign really is top notch. Really reminds me of bulletstorm. Just so many options available to you and makes you think about every single kill and how to pull it off. The story is quality too, not up to the standard of the first but so far its really, really good. Better than most other shooters stories for sure.

Also really loving the art style, i wasnt sold on it after the demo, but looking at the sketch lines on the textures, the colorful skyboxes, at times it honestly looks like yore palying a panel from a comic book, which is pretty appropriate.

I know its short, but ive put in a couple of hours each night since friday and loved it. Still not finished too as im taking my time. And put it this way, people raved about Halo and the recent remake, **** me, i got 6 hours into that and was praying for it to end because of all the reuse of areas. And assassins creed revelations, which i traded for the darkness 2, man i put maybe 5 or 6 hours into that adn was pure sick of it. Couldnt even bring myself to finish it. But this is just leaving me wanting more. If thats the worst complaint i can level at it, its doign something really right.

The only thing that would stop me really recommending it is maybe if you havent played the original, the impact of soem of the scenes with Jenny would be lost on you. But overall, this is excellent, and even if the story passed you by, the action is bloody brilliant.

Jackie's tough guy mobster persona / voice doesn't sit with his foppish image he'd get tore a new one for stepping out like that. it's not that he's overstyle as a mafia man just if ever a character looked like dorian gray :/ unfortunate byproduct maybe. not a comic I'd buy but it must be a better representation all round due to better art and no audio for starters. Comics can be hard to do justice to when translating to game but not about to enter the stupid long code to d/l the free editions just now

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Jackie's tough guy mobster persona / voice doesn't sit with his foppish image he'd get tore a new one for stepping out like that. it's not that he's overstyle as a mafia man just if ever a character looked like dorian gray :/ unfortunate byproduct maybe. not a comic I'd buy but it must be a better representation all round due to better art and no audio for starters. Comics can be hard to do justice to when translating to game but not about to enter the stupid long code to d/l the free editions just now

I dont think the mafia would be too quick to tear him a new one for having long hair when he happens to command an army of satanic minions, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Hooray xtravision had rental copies :)

Anyway for anyone else how has the same issue I had with installing the game on xbox, it would just sit there when you hit install and not prompt you to pick an install location, simply sign out and install the game. Then sign back in.

dont think the mafia would be too quick to tear him a new one for having long hair when he happens to command an army of satanic minions, tbh.

Not so much the hair but combined with the waistcoat in particular.. always struggled with seperating fiction from reality anyhow. but the dorian gray thing only really hit home when I caught a sight of my himself in a bathroom mirror in-game last night. appeared the very definition I thought no time for such vanities cant keep the mob waiting.. n thus the juxtaposition took hold

bestest brothel I've encountered in a game the chicks r all hot!! and be sure to catch the
    chick taking it bareback, doggy style

I really can't wait for this game to be over now after playing it all evening I'm glad it's so short and even more glad it was a rental.

Not a patch on the original, I would say it's just another generic corridor shooter but that would be doing it a disservice as it plays very well, just I could care less about the story and the use of abilities seems to have been reigned in from the the first game.

It looks really nice though.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    I really can't wait for this game to be over now after playing it all evening I'm glad it's so short and even more glad it was a rental.

Not a patch on the original, I would say it's just another generic corridor shooter but that would be doing it a disservice as it plays very well, just I could care less about the story and the use of abilities seems to have been reigned in from the the first game.

It looks really nice though.

Sorry, but what? Have you played the orignal? You cant do half the stuff available to you in this. The original made it difficult to do something as easy as smash a lightbulb, and the only time it showed off how amazing the darkness powers are was int he final non interactive cutscene in paulies house....its combat was the worst thing about it. The darkness powers are improved unbelievably in this. Its got some of the best moment to moment gameplay ive seen in a shooter since bulletstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I am loving it anyway, it's the first game in a long long time that i've just really enjoyed without something dumb getting in the way.

Sorry, but what? Have you played the orignal? You cant do half the stuff available to you in this. The original made it difficult to do something as easy as smash a lightbulb, and the only time it showed off how amazing the darkness powers are was int he final non interactive cutscene in paulies house....its combat was the worst thing about it. The darkness powers are improved unbelievably in this. Its got some of the best moment to moment gameplay ive seen in a shooter since bulletstorm.

Thats was down to the controls in the original I mean that they are used 99% for combat, In there original there was far more to do with them in terms of progressing the game like having to use the arms to reach switches etc. mind you It's been 5 years since I've played it so I could be forgetting much :D

It doesn't have nearly the same variety as bullet storm did does it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thats was down to the controls in the original I mean that they are used 99% for combat, In there original there was far more to do with them in terms of progressing the game like having to use the arms to reach switches etc. mind you It's been 5 years since I've played it so I could be forgetting much :D

Those sections though were just superfluous puzzles that stopped the pace of the game stone dead. They won't be missed and didn't add anything to the original.

It doesn't have nearly the same variety as bullet storm did does it?

Not as much as bullestorm but considering youve got the options of hurling objects at enemies, slashing enemies, straight up shooting them, grabbing them and throwing them, turning any thrown object into a bomb via upgrades, using swarm or gun channeling, theres more options for how to kill people than in any shooter i can think of that isnt named bulletstorm. The combat in this really is one area that just cant be faulted at all, its excellently implemented.

And yeah as retro says stuff like using the demon arms for turning on lights and whatnot was pretty pointless. Sure you use the arms int his as much for smashing open doors or electrical boxes etc

Damn. Game was short

1st one was better.. Patton wasn't particularly inspired either this time out - the asylum was great though; brings back memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Jake187

I wanna play this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Borrowed it off my cousin on friday and although its a very good game , my god its ridiculous short , i bet it in 5 hours , thats pretty bad

Advertisement