Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Citizenship Question

Options
  • 23-01-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was thinking about going to Australia to work next year because as you know at the moment this country is going down the drain.
    My Question is do I qualify for citizenship ?
    My mam was born in Australia in the 1950's and at the age of 13 came to
    Ireland, she does not have an Australian passport.
    Do I qualify for citizenship under decent? as I always believed was half Australian so could qualify. If I do how do I go about it ?
    links would be of great help

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

I would have thought so, but on reading

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/how_to_apply/descent/

It would look like she needs to have a passport, is it possible for her to renew an old one at all?
    Or you can search out her Australian birth cert and prove evidence that way

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/proof_of_citizenship/

There's a contact number at the High Commission in here to ask someone there

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/overseas/u/united-kingdom/esc.htm

Also find Liz O'Hagan or Declan Clune on here, they may have other info

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You mum should have an Australian Birth Certificate and she lived for the first 10 years of her life in Australia so she would be dinky-di.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanvtec

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You mum should have an Australian Birth Certificate and she lived for the first 10 years of her life in Australia so she would be dinky-di.

Yes she lived in Australia for 13 years

It would look like she needs to have a passport, is it possible for her to renew an old one at all?
    Or you can search out her Australian birth cert and prove evidence that way
    She doesn't have any Australian passport but she has got her Australian Birth cert, but it says in the link she also needs an Australian citizenship certificate or naturalisation certificate and I asked her that and she doesn't have that either because she is now an Irish citizen??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Alanvtec wrote: »
    Yes she lived in Australia for 13 years

She doesn't have any Australian passport but she has got her Australian Birth cert, but it says in the link she also needs an Australian citizenship certificate or naturalisation certificate and I asked her that and she doesn't have that either because she is now an Irish citizen??

she'll prob need to apply then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Alanvtec wrote: »

If she was born in Australia then a birth certificate is all she will have or need, you only get a Citizenship or naturalisation certificate if you are born overseas and apply to be an Australian Citizen and are given it at your ceremony.

I got my Citizenship certificate a year ago tomorrow when I became a citizen, but my Australian born wife doesn't need one because she was born here and has a birth certificate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement