Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creamy mashed potatoes

Options
  • 23-01-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi, I want to make creamy mash potatoes, I was wondering if thickened cream is the same as whipping cream? If anyone has any good tips on making them, it would be great as I have never made them before, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Personally I wouldn't add cream to potatoes. I use one of these along with a good knob of butter, a splash of milk and plenty of salt and white pepper.

41HMXNFBPFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Perfect creamy mashed potatoes every time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Use a ricer as above but warm the milk (or cream - I just use regular pouring cream) and butter before adding it to your spuds. The type of potato will also make a difference Maris Pipers or Kerr Pinks are widely available and make better mash. Also when you drain the potatoes leave them for a couple of moments in the colander to allow them to dry and for some of the steam to evaporate so that they turn out fluffy rather than wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I use Maris Pipers and I usually bake the spuds - keeps them dry.

I normally use Roosters for mash. They fall to pieces when you boil them but that's perfect for mashing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I think a bit of milk is less overpowering then cream, small bit of butter and a raw egg believe it or not.

• Advertisement

...and a raw egg believe it or not.

Just the egg yolk though. It can give it a nice richness

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just the egg yolk though. It can give it a nice richness

I use the lot.

I use the lot.
    Really? Never heard of that. Interesting

Really? Never heard of that. Interesting

yeah just mix it up first , I didnt know that you should just use the yolk. I have just seen my dad do it. That could be a mean ness thing rather than taste and not throwing anything out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ricers are overkill -- it's mash, not baby food.

Floury spuds, lashings of butter, plain salt and white pepper, more butter and pepper to taste, and a little aromat if you're feeling adventurous.

Add mashed sprouts if you're having ham or bacon, nyom nyom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

dahamsta wrote: »

Potato ricers are for mash, a food mill is used for baby food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Whoooosh....

Definitely not overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

To get perfect creamy mashed potatoes you need to combine potato (preferably melody, maris piper or rooster but definitiely not waxy ones such as charlotte) with butter in a 1:1 ration, i.e. 1 pound of potatoes to 1 pound of butter. Simples as they say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

wouldnt be too bothered with a ricer myself but whatever floats yer boat :)

i tend to just boil up the spuds.. let em dry out a bit.. throw in a nice knob of butter followed by some milk (adding a splurge at a time until im happy with the consistency) .. and of course.. salt and lots of fresh black pepper.. none of that white pepper nonsense ;P mash to your hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

dahamsta wrote:

The creamier and smoother the better. No doubt.
    dyer wrote: »
    none of that white pepper nonsense ;P

Agreed! In the sense that my mom loves white pepper so much that she puts so much in that it tends to taste mainly of white pepper. Which I don't even really like. That's overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

and a good sprinkle of nutmeg. essential for good mash potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Forget ricers and wotnots. One of those 'plunger' type potato mashers is all you need. Add milk, real butter, (none of your spreads please), salt and whatever pepper you want. Then combine all by using a hand held electric mixer. Now that's what I call creamy potatoes! You could if you wanted to go a step further, add a little chopped parsley but it's not necessary.

NEVER EVER use a hand held electric mixer to mash potatoes. The fast sharp blades rip open the gluten cells in the potatoes turning the mash into a gloopy sticky mess.

NEVER EVER use a hand held electric mixer to mash potatoes. The fast sharp blades rip open the gluten cells in the potatoes turning the mash into a gloopy sticky mess.

That's only if you have added too much milk and overbeat. I don't get gloopy. I get creamy! :) Creamy only to the point of being able to pipe it into rosettes! A little practice at a slower speed should do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I also use an electric mixer with a good amount of butter just a drop of milk and then I mash with a regular masher first then give it a quick whip and it always comes out super creamy. Never had sticky or gloopy mash.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

my granny used to chop an onion and put it into the water for the last 15 minutes of cooking the potatoes- soooooooo tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

I always warm the milk before I add it to the potatoes with a knob of butter, salt and black pepper. Mash all together with a potatoe masher.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Butter, milk, salt, white pepper and an egg yolk is what I use.
    Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Marcusm wrote: »
    To get perfect creamy mashed potatoes you need to combine potato (preferably melody, maris piper or rooster but definitiely not waxy ones such as charlotte) with butter in a 1:1 ration, i.e. 1 pound of potatoes to 1 pound of butter. Simples as they say!

Are you sure that's enough butter!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

lemeister wrote: »
    Are you sure that's enough butter!:P

It fits with a comment Domini Kemp made in the IT a few months ago:

It’s a bit like restaurant mashed potatoes: you can’t make them taste as good at home because you would be horrified at the amount of butter and cream it takes.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2011/0813/1224302124827.html

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Seems a bit too much butter tbh Tablespoon of butter ,salt, milk and thyme is perfect i think, but i must try the nutmeg sounds differant

Marcusm probably meant 1oz. I'm soooo tired of posting about mashed potatoes now, I'm off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement