Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about ASH scheme

Options
  • 23-01-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me,.

I've been invited to find a property (2 bed) on the Applicant Sourced Homes scheme (ASH-Very similar to the RAS scheme) and was wondering...
    If, for example, I find a place that's €800, will the council pay the landlord the €800 and then I have to pay 10% of my income in contribution to the council?

I just don't know how the rent thing works..Do the council pay the landlord his full asking price for the rent?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

Generally they will negotiate with the landlord and pay him the agreed amount on the first tuesday of each month. All you will do is pay 10% of your income to the council, you dont pay the landlord anything. As far as i know if the property is €800 then the landlord would probably receive that full amount as €800 is the limit for 2 bed properties.

Can i ask how long you were on the list before you received your letter? im waiting on mine for a 2 bed property also.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi Kimmy thanks for your reply.
    My partner and I have been on the normal housing list for 8 years and we've been receiving rent allowance on our current property for the past 7.
    When the new rent allowance limits came out in January, our allowance was reduced and we couldnt afford our rent, so I rang the council and told them I needed accommodation.

I told them I was in an emergency situation because my landlord wasn't going to reduce the rent and I couldn't afford it.
    Next thing I know, they sent me a letter inviting me to go on the scheme.
    Apparently everyone is being offered the scheme but only when the council decide to send them, so if you have the letter, you're lucky.
    I was also told by the council not to worry about how much rent is on the new property..She told me to "find somewhere and let us worry about the rent amount" so I'm trying not to think of it.

I'm just looking for somewhere that isnt over the odds.
    Good luck and keep me posted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Never heard of this one.

Are there limits to this scheme?

If not, it is just a futile exercise in reducing RA limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

I rang the council enquiring about this scheme and the RAS one. i do qualify as ive been receiving rent allowance for over 4 years, just have to wait for this letter. My lease is up next month and like yourself, with the reduction in rent allowance im really struggling each month. Landlord cannot reduce rent. I will go into them tommorow and explain the situation and hopefully they may be able to help. From what ive seen most 2 bed properties average around €800 a month so you should have no problems. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11 annagie

Hi,
    Did you find home, for ASH scheme?
    I have got letter form council. Now I collect documents that are required.
    Im on maternity now, my husband is not working.
    Do you think when I will back to work and my husband will find job, they can tell me they cant help me?
    Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement

annagie wrote: »
    Hi,
    Did you find home, for ASH scheme?
    I have got letter form council. Now I collect documents that are required.
    Im on maternity now, my husband is not working.
    Do you think when I will back to work and my husband will find job, they can tell me they cant help me?
    Thanks a lot.

I have sent you a PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RosieV

Hi,

Sorry to drag up an old thread, just wondering if/how you managed to find accomodation for this scheme? We are eligible for it but not having much luck finding anywhere.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

RosieV wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry to drag up an old thread, just wondering if/how you managed to find accomodation for this scheme? We are eligible for it but not having much luck finding anywhere.

Thanks.
    contact the council as they may have a list of property's suitable for your needs. Also this seems to be the exact same as the RAS scheme just with a posh south dublin name:D

foggy_lad wrote: »
    contact the council as they may have a list of property's suitable for your needs. Also this seems to be the exact same as the RAS scheme just with a posh south dublin name:D

The council don't have a list of properties..well they didn't in South Dublin and I'm pretty sure they don't anywhere else, but anyway...

Rosie, I didn't go on the ASH scheme in the end as I was offered a council home, but I do understand how hard it is.
    We spend five months looking for a property with a landlord who was willing to give it a go.
    All I'll say is keep looking.

It's the kind of scheme some landlords would love to take part in; a guaranteed tenant for at least five years and guaranteed rent, paid even if the tenant moves out.
    But, of course, there will be some who don't like it.
    There's nothing you can do but keep searching.

When we were looking, we were on Gumtree and Daft every single day and we bought the Herald every evening.

It's hard but something will come up, so good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

fussyonion wrote: »
    The council don't have a list of properties..well they didn't in South Dublin and I'm pretty sure they don't anywhere else, but anyway...

Rosie, I didn't go on the ASH scheme in the end as I was offered a council home, but I do understand how hard it is.
    We spend five months looking for a property with a landlord who was willing to give it a go.
    All I'll say is keep looking.

It's the kind of scheme some landlords would love to take part in; a guaranteed tenant for at least five years and guaranteed rent, paid even if the tenant moves out.
    But, of course, there will be some who don't like it.
    There's nothing you can do but keep searching.

When we were looking, we were on Gumtree and Daft every single day and we bought the Herald every evening.

It's hard but something will come up, so good luck.
    In some counties the councils keep a register of landlords who have shown interest or have signed up to the scheme, the biggest block for landlords is the fear that they will be landed with the dregs of society who the council can't put anywhere else not even the worst of council estates!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. SDCC don't have a list, or any advice on sourcing a property.
    We've been looking since March, there are so few properties available to rent anyway, let alone those with landlords interested in this scheme. I wonder if anyone has been housed in this way?! I think it would work if you were already renting somewhere privately that fulfilled your requirements on the scheme and got your current landlord to agree. At least then they'd know you weren't 'the dregs of society'!!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    In some counties the councils keep a register of landlords who have shown interest or have signed up to the scheme, the biggest block for landlords is the fear that they will be landed with the dregs of society who the council can't put anywhere else not even the worst of council estates!

I do think all councils should have a list of interested Landlords and tenants; it would make the search much easier.

Thanks for the replies. SDCC don't have a list, or any advice on sourcing a property.
    We've been looking since March, there are so few properties available to rent anyway, let alone those with landlords interested in this scheme. I wonder if anyone has been housed in this way?! I think it would work if you were already renting somewhere privately that fulfilled your requirements on the scheme and got your current landlord to agree. At least then they'd know you weren't 'the dregs of society'!!

A lot of people have been housed through the RAS scheme but it does have its' drawbacks.

I know of another poster on Boards who was on the scheme 10 years and after 10 years, his Landlord didn't want to renew the lease, leaving him with nowhere else to go.
    In the end, the council housed him but he didn't get the option of where he wanted to live.

One thing I'm interested to know; how long have you been on the housing list?
    I was on it 10 years and I had no idea where I was on the list.
    I called them frequently but they couldn't tell me my position.

Eventually, in January 2012, they offered me the ASH scheme (like RAS) and I was told if I expressed an interest in it, I would be removed from the housing list.

I felt I was in a dilemma as I'd been waiting such a long time for a council home. We decided to go for the RAS scheme because we had no idea how long we'd be waiting on the housing list.

But then we spoke to a person-in-the-know who said that most people are offered RAS when they're almost at the top of the housing list.

I'm not saying that's true, but if you've been on the list a long time (I'm talking 7 years and over), it might be worth your while NOT taking the scheme and holding out for a council home.

Then again, that would depend on your personal situation; are you married? Do you have children?

When we refused the scheme, we got a call three weeks later from the council offering us a council home.
    Coincidence?

If you wish to discuss it further, you're more than welcome to PM me.

It's interesting you were told if you expressed an interest in the scheme you'd be removed from the housing list...I wasn't told that. I know if we managed to source anywhere on the scheme we'd be taken off the list as we'd no longer have a need for housing.
    I don't know where we are on the list either but we're on it 6 years and are married with 2 children. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it's been veru useful. Glad you sorted after a decade of waiting!

It's interesting you were told if you expressed an interest in the scheme you'd be removed from the housing list...I wasn't told that. I know if we managed to source anywhere on the scheme we'd be taken off the list as we'd no longer have a need for housing.
    I don't know where we are on the list either but we're on it 6 years and are married with 2 children. Thanks again for taking the time to reply, it's been veru useful. Glad you sorted after a decade of waiting!

Did you receive a letter confirming you were """invited to source a home of your choice through the ASH scheme"""?

I thought it said, down near the end of the letter, that """if you express an interest in the scheme, your name will be removed from the Housing List""".
    That was certainly the case with me and my partner, but perhaps they've changed the wording of it now.

You would definitely be removed if you found a home through the ASH scheme.

Do you or your family members have a medical condition? I only ask because ASH is usually for people with medical priority.

(If you wish to discuss this in private, you can PM me as I understand you may not want to reveal too much here)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Darocketeer

Hi,

Today I received a letter from South Dublin County Council informing me that my family have been approved for the Applicant Sourced Housing scheme.
    I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could advise me on finding a suitable 2 bedroom accommodation or any other relevant information.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Darock

Basically you need to go and look for a 2-bed property in accordance with the guidelines of what you're meant to have.

For example, if you are down on the Housing List as needing a ground-floor apartment because of a disability, then your ASH home must be ground-floor too.

So when you find a place, you need to tell the Landlord (if he doesn't already know) about the ASH scheme and if he is willing to participate, then you pass his name, phone number and address on to the relevant department in the Council and tell them you've found somewhere.

They will then enter into negotiation talks with the Landlord regarding how much rent will be paid and if successful, a lease will be drawn up for whatever amount of years you and the Landlord are happy with.

All going well, the Council will then inspect the chosen property, which can take up to 8 weeks, then you will be able to move in.

Hope this helps.

Hi Fussy,

Thanks for the information, it's greatly appreciated. I saw above someone saying that there's a limit of 800 euro maximum rent for 2 bed places, is this true? I haven't been able to verify. Also, if anyone knows anyone who has successfully found a willing landlord please advise...

Hi Fussy,

Thanks for the information, it's greatly appreciated. I saw above someone saying that there's a limit of 800 euro maximum rent for 2 bed places, is this true? I haven't been able to verify. Also, if anyone knows anyone who has successfully found a willing landlord please advise...

€800 is the maximum limit for Tallaght. Not sure of rates elsewhere in the country.

I was told by the council, when I was looking, ""not to worry"" about finding a place for a maximum of €800. They said "Your only job is to find a suitable place and let us worry about the rent."

I found a place for €850 and the council were happy to enter into negotiation talks with the Landlord and were willing to sway a little on their maximum limits, so don't worry too much about that.

They're not as strict as Rent Allowance rules.

They were pleased I had found somewhere suitable and that it met all my needs. They were also happy the Landlord was willing to go ahead with the scheme, so they were willing to raise their limit.

It also means you come off the Housing List-I assume you know this?

A lot of Landlords will be happy to do the scheme as it means having a guaranteed tenant for at least four years, so just try and find somewhere first, then let the council worry about the rent.

As for finding a willing landlord, there is no database (that I know of) of potential landlords, so it's just a case of buying the local paper, checking Gumtree and other sites for places.

Advertise your situation on Gumtree, for example, and if a Landlord is looking for someone, he'll find you.

Good luck.

By the way, how long have you been on the Housing List?

I heard before, and it was certainly true in my case, that if you are offered the ASH or RAS scheme, it is usually a sign that you are near the top of the Housing List.

When I refused the ASH scheme, two weeks later I received a call telling me there was a council property available for me.

It's a game of chance though. You either take the ASH scheme and come off the Housing List or you refuse the scheme and wait to be housed by the council.

If you've been waiting 8+ years, I would seriously think about this.
    I was waiting 10 years.

• Advertisement

On the council list only 4 years now so I doubt I'm near the top. Took your advise and put an ad on Gumtree and in Daft's discussion section. Fingers crossed...

I have a mate who wants to lease his 3 bedroom house to me under ASH scheme. He proposed changing the 3rd bedroom into an office or utility room to meet the SDCC rule of 2 bed accommodation for family of 2 girls. As silly as this sounds as I type it, could this work!?

I have a mate who wants to lease his 3 bedroom house to me under ASH scheme. He proposed changing the 3rd bedroom into an office or utility room to meet the SDCC rule of 2 bed accommodation for family of 2 girls. As silly as this sounds as I type it, could this work!?

That might work but only if the third bedroom was done up in such a way that it was not possible for it to be a bedroom.
    Having said that, if the bedroom was on the ground floor (and the other two were upstairs), there'd be more chance of turning the ground floor one into a utility room.
    I'm not sure if that would work, but you could try.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Pat_Planky

Below is from the SDCC website:

What happens if I do not express an interest in this scheme or I express an interest and then refuse the selected property?
    Please note that if you do not express an interest in availing of this new scheme, it will not affect your housing application in any way and your application will be left on the Council's Housing List until a suitable Council house becomes available. However, if you express an interest in this scheme and at a later stage change your mind or refuse an offer of a selected property, this will be deemed to be a refusal.

Applicants, without satisfactory explanation, when you refuse two offers of housing your application will be suspended for twelve months. Your application will be re-activated after this period, however, this suspension period will not count as time on the housing list. You will not be on the Council's housing list during this period and will not have access to Choice Based Letting or eligible for any social housing support. Your entitlement to supplementary rent allowance may also be affected.

You're not allowed drag up zombie threads, I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 annagie

hi, I found finally landlord who want to accept ASH Scheme. In monday I will be call to council. Does somebody know how long occupy formalities? When I could move on there? I afraid now council will be delayed now with some issues.........I was try found landlord over 1 year! I seen miliond houses and i spoke with milions agents/landlords - it was difficult time for me...

hi, I found finally landlord who want to accept ASH Scheme. In monday I will be call to council. Does somebody know how long occupy formalities? When I could move on there? I afraid now council will be delayed now with some issues.........I was try found landlord over 1 year! I seen miliond houses and i spoke with milions agents/landlords - it was difficult time for me...

Did you tell the Council you had found a property and a Landlord willing to participate in the ASH scheme?

If not, you need to call the Housing Department of the Council, tell them you found somewhere and give them the Landlord's name, phone number and the address of the property.

The Council will then contact the Landlord to discuss/negotiate the rent terms (on average, the Council pays less than the asking rent rate because the Landlord is guaranteed a tenant for the duration of the lease).

If both parties agree to the rent terms and contract, the Landlord will be asked if he wants to sign a four-year or a ten-year contract with the Council.

If he signs a four-year lease, then you're guaranteed that home for that duration. The Landlord retains his responsibilities to you, i.e any complaints/requests about the property should be made to him.

If, after the four years, the Landlord does not want to renew the lease, the Council have an obligation to find you another home.

If he signs the ten-year lease, he can pass all Landlord responsibilities AND the property over to the Council for that duration.

So if you moved out, the Council would find another Tenant to replace you, meaning the Landlord would not have an empty property and he'd have constant rent coming in.

When the Council and Landlord have agreed on the rent, the Council will then send an inspector to the property to make sure it meets their safety standards and that it is suitable for you and your family.

I.E If you were on the Housing List as requiring a two-bed home, then this ASH-sourced home must also be a two-bed.

The inspection can take up to 8 weeks; even longer possibly if work needs to be done by the Landlord to meet the Council's high standards.

You pay the Council 10% of your household income and the Council pay the full rent to the Landlord.
    You have no financial dealings with the Landlord and it is illegal to top up payments to him.

Hope this is of some help to you.

PS -Please remember, if you sign up to the ASH scheme, your name will be removed from the Housing List as participating in the ASH scheme means your housing need has been met.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What is the difference between RAS and ASH for the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I don't mean to dishearten you but it took us six months from the the time our Landlord agreed to sign up to the ASH Scheme to actually signing it ......... the delays were mostly on the Council's side .......... I have heard however of people having it all sorted in as little as two months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What is the difference between RAS and ASH for the landlord.
    None that I can see.

Advertisement