Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bullock with redish/pinkish eyes, weeping.

• 23-01-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

How ya lads. . .

tis drying up a bit now in the west the last few days, long may it continue. .

i noticed one of me black bullocks (520)kg with redish/pinkish around both eyes, both weeping a small bit to, :pac:

is this a bullock with a cold? what should i do?

i have only 3, they have the choice of staying in or going out on the land.

was thinking of locking them in if its a cold, maybe for 3-4 days..

doesed with Closamectin pour-on on Jan 7th

thoughts/experince welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Could be an infection of the conjunctiva ie. conjunctivitis. Would require some Vetinary eye drops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Is it like the photo. It could be 'Pinkeye' or 'Silage Eye'. I don't know the difference to be honest. I always thought they were the same but heard on here that they were different.
    Get some Opticlox Ointment and put in under the eyelid. That should solve it. The quicker you treat it the better as it can leave a permanent pink spot on the eyeball.

2766238935_399f45e189_m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

thanks lads, reading up on it there. while it doesnt look like the above pic, reading on the net it sounds like its at the early stages. . + i have the streaming from both eyes

the bullocks eyes are say black, well its a tiny ring around that which is redish..
    noticed it more outside yesterday than in the shed with lights on, actually u wouldnt notice it much at all if i hadnt known to look tonight.

yesterday i looked at him, and ud think he was the devil, putting a spell on me.. .

if thers only a way to put a spell on him tomorrow evening if i get drops. .

crush and headlock? i assume?
    . hes a quiet lad, but thats based on, freedom, not stuck in crush, not in a headlock. . and the wife not poking in drops. .

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

are there rushes where your grazing them . ? they can irratate eyes

nope, no rushes

• Advertisement

was given Opticlox by the vet, any easy way to adminster this?

its a plastic syringe type. plastic top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

give him half it in each eye just put it inside his eyed lid and then close his eye lid to work it all in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

does the middle of his eye look pale and swollen almost? If so a good few of my cows have gotten same this winter, in all cases a shot of LA alamycin has cleared in about 2 to 3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

dealerman wrote: »
    give him half it in each eye just put it inside his eyed lid and then close his eye lid to work it all in
    Be sure to do the good eye first or you'll bring it across from the bad eye.
    Wear disposable gloves too.
    One person can do it on their own but there's a knack to it. Put the head through the crush gate. Hold the head with one hand, by putting your hand on top of the front of the head and your fingers in the mouth. (see pic below) Use you other hand then to open back the lower eye-lid and squirt it in at the same time. Pinch the top & lower eyelids closed then, to rub the cream across the eye-ball. No harm repeat a second time. Not so easy to do if you're not used to it.
    I always find getting a second person only drives the cattle mad. In and done quickly is the trick.

s400

Done him last night, both eyes were exactly the same. Ill post back im a day or two with results.

He was quiet enough to do. I found it better to not go hell for leather once the head was in the crush.
    Saying that i only had the one to do.

• Advertisement

seems to have done the trick.
    the colour looks normal,but still weeping a small bit from both eyes,

i might look at it friday, and if its still the same, ill do him agian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

hi all . if anyone is still follow ing this thread i just wanted to ask is there a danger of the animal closing his teeth on your fingers ?? can he close his lower jaw when you have his snout held up ?? seen the vet do it but never had the need (or balls) to try it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

cjmc wrote: »
    hi all . if anyone is still follow ing this thread i just wanted to ask is there a danger of the animal closing his teeth on your fingers ?? can he close his lower jaw when you have his snout held up ?? seen the vet do it but never had the need (or balls) to try it

Yup. The auld fella almost had his thumb taken off about ten years back. The bullock closed on it at the lower joint and bit right down. The entire thumb went black and he was lucky not to lose it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

A bullock, or ewe, can bite. At least there's only one set of teeth if you're being bitten. Keep your fingers away from the grinding teeth!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

greysides wrote: »
    A bullock, or ewe, can bite. At least there's only one set of teeth if you're being bitten. Keep your fingers away from the grinding teeth!

I was stupid enough to make this mistake 2 years ago and she mangled 2 fingers between the back teeth (my own fault I know) Had swallowed plastic and put my hand in there like an ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭gazahayes

cjmc wrote: »

It can be done you just have to make sure to catch between the front and back teeth where there is a gap, where the dosing gun goes because of the gap. I always find it easier to grab them by the nose.

Advertisement