Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Layout of OL Maths paper?

• 23-01-2012 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi guys, can someone please explain to me what the layout is for the ordinary level maths paper? (How many questions, what the questions are about, etc)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Here's the sample paper: http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase1_P2_Ordinary_Level.pdf

And here's the letter from the SEC to schools explaining the structure of the exam:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase1_P2_Ordinary_Level.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Paper 1 has remained unchanged i.e there are still 8 questions and you answer 6 from that.

Paper 2 has changed and is now split into sections A, B and C.
    In sections A and B co-ordinate geometry and the line, co-ordinate geometry and the circle, theorems, constructions, enlargements, trig, probability or statistics can come up.
    Section C is Area and volume and that question has remained unchanged :)
    You have to answer all questions on paper 2 except for question 5 where you have a choice between 5a of 5b.

Hope I've helped :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 AmourRoo

chomps_x wrote: »
    Paper 1 has remained unchanged i.e there are still 8 questions and you answer 6 from that.

Paper 2 has changed and is now split into sections A, B and C.
    In sections A and B co-ordinate geometry and the line, co-ordinate geometry and the circle, theorems, constructions, enlargements, trig, probability or statistics can come up.
    Section C is Area and volume and that question has remained unchanged :)
    You have to answer all questions on paper 2 except for question 5 where you have a choice between 5a of 5b.

Hope I've helped :D

Great help, Thanks a million.

One last question, in paper one what topics could come up in that? E.g Indices, complex numbers? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

AmourRoo wrote: »
    Great help, Thanks a million.

One last question, in paper one what topics could come up in that? E.g Indices, complex numbers? Thanks.

Paper 1:

Q1. Arithmetic
    Q2 + Q3. Algebra
    Q4. Complex Numbers
    Q5. Sequences and series
    Q6 + Q8. Functions/Differentiation
    Q7. Pure Differentiation

I've the educate exam papers, they tell you what each question on each paper is, what you need to know, etc. and there's also both answers to Paper 1 and Paper 2 in them!

Advertisement