Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet options - Allenwood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Smart are LLU; I wouldn't have thought they were in Allenwood but if they are there is no Eircom payment of any description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kildarechoral

jman0war wrote: »
    Considering living in Allenwood.
    I don't know what broadband is or isn't available.
    Found this website:
    http://www.bonkers.ie/compare-broadband/kildare/broadband-in-allenwood/

Anyone know if that is accurate?

Also, with SmartTelecom does it mean i also have to rent a lan line from Eircom?

I live near Allenwood and to the best of my knowledge the exchange there is not broadband enabled nor is it likely to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have you looked at mobile options.. ?

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

From the siteviewer map above, there appears to be three options of 3G coverage, with Meteor, 3 and O2.... It's pretty close to you so the coverage should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Kilmeague has virtually non-existant mobile internet signal and from what I can tell of Allenwood its not much better. Id say 3G is pretty much a non-runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kildarechoral

djimi wrote: »
    Kilmeague has virtually non-existant mobile internet signal and from what I can tell of Allenwood its not much better. Id say 3G is pretty much a non-runner.

I'm a couple of Km from Allenwood. Signal on Voda and O2 pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

You'll be better off with digi web, satelite broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I'm just outside Prosperous- fairly similar set up- the land all around is pretty much flat (it is the Bog of Allen after all), interspersed by woodlands so there is no line of sight at all. We ended up getting a landline and currently with Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭jman0war

Have you looked at mobile options.. ?

From the siteviewer map above, there appears to be three options of 3G coverage, with Meteor, 3 and O2.... It's pretty close to you so the coverage should be good.

Sorry haven't been watching this thread.
    Mobile broadband is not suitable for my business needs.

baaba maal wrote: »
    I'm just outside Prosperous- fairly similar set up- the land all around is pretty much flat (it is the Bog of Allen after all), interspersed by woodlands so there is no line of sight at all. We ended up getting a landline and currently with Eircom
    So landline for DSL?
    Or are you talking "dial-up" connection like they did 15 years ago?

I live near Allenwood and to the best of my knowledge the exchange there is not broadband enabled nor is it likely to be.

If that's the case then that rules out DSL etc?
    Is there some way to find out if the exchange is broadband enabled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Sorry- I'm not teccie at all- but it is quite fast (video a bit sluggish sometimes, but ok), and we don't have to the "bing-bong-buzz-buzz-crackle" connection thing of old- I presume that means it's DSL:D

baaba maal wrote: »
    and we don't have to the "bing-bong-buzz-buzz-crackle" connection thing of old- I presume that means it's DSL:D
    The sound of connecting would refer to "dial up", not DSL.

So you have broadband via your phone line.
    I guess that must mean your nearest telephone exchange has been broadband enabled.

Maybe i could get a smartphone until digiweb sort out a satellite.
    What's the coverage like?

Sounds like 3g is a non-runner.
    I presume I could still get email on the phone via GPRS?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Ripplecom might be worth a try,

http://www.ripplecom.net/

They have a few masts round about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Try all of the over the air providers but if the technology is similar to 3G then be prepared for rubbish signal in heavy weather.

I am also near prosperous and the only solution for me is eircom.

1.3Mb down at best and has suffered lately with a near by new build.

Looks like there's a Meteor mast near Allenwood.

Advertisement