Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out..!!

Options
  • 23-01-2012 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey all,

I'm looking to start target shooting and just wondering if "target shooting" is a valid reason to put on the application for a gun licence?

I'm also wondering what would be a reliable and reasonably priced rifle to start out with I've been doing some research and I've heard that the CZ range is fairly good in .22LR or .17HMR...

Also some advice on the licence application it will only be for target shooting not hunting I'm 20 years old we have approx 50 acres of land with very few close neighbours and I've had no trouble with the guards....

Thanks in advance...
    And advice on anything I missed would be appreciated.!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Target shooting is a valid reason if you are a member of a target shooting club , if you have 50 acres of land you can get a licence for vermin control though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Kmitch123 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm looking to start target shooting and just wondering if "target shooting" is a valid reason to put on the application for a gun licence?

I'm also wondering what would be a reliable and reasonably priced rifle to start out with I've been doing some research and I've heard that the CZ range is fairly good in .22LR or .17HMR...

Also some advice on the licence application it will only be for target shooting not hunting I'm 20 years old we have approx 50 acres of land with very few close neighbours and I've had no trouble with the guards....

Thanks in advance...
    And advice on anything I missed would be appreciated.!

welcome aboard the site and too shooting!

the cz452 in .22lr is probably the best beginner rifle you can get. many lads pick them up and keep them forever. this is because ammo is cheap the rifle is accurate and reliable. target shooting on your own land is no a good reason for a licence as target shooting must be done on a range or in a club!

vermin control is a good reason but as far as i know(im open to correction) you need more than one landowners permission for your licence application.

hope that helps
    tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

rowa wrote: »
    Target shooting is a valid reason if you are a member of a target shooting club, if you have 50 acres of land you can get a licence for vermin control though.

+1 and I’ll add either route has its hoops; 308cal is what seems to me to be the most used for target shooting but is also a deer hunting cal,
    If you go down the hunting route for target use you will need permission to shoot land with deer on it and get the npws licence for shooting deer each year, and then satisfy the Garda. You then could join the likes of the lrrai http://sites.google.com/site/lrraishoot/home/gallery and shoot there comps during the summer. This to me is the lesser cost wise i believe.
    The other route is to join the midlands http://www.nationalshootingcentre.ie/ and experience what long range shooting is all about is costs a little more than i can afford at the moment but hopefully someday soon i get the cash together
    You can target shoot with a 22cal rimfire in Fermoy in Cork and its not expensive might be worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

There are a lot of forms of target shooting - all involve shooting targets but they each have different challenges.

22lr is the most popular calibre, by virtue of the fact that all rifle ranges allow it - air rifle may be cheaper to drive but there are less ranges. same for more high power calibres (incl. The 17) as there are only a few ranges where you can use them.

.22 is popular for benchrest, as are the larger calibres.

.357/.38/.44 are popular for Gallery Rifle as as 22lr.

Sporting rifle uses .22lr

your best bet is to seek out your nearest club and go for a look - some have been highlighted above

http://www.nasrpc.ie will show you some more.

Hope it helps.

B'Man

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome to the shooting forum.

You need to be a member of an authorised range if you intend to do target shooting. Also you need to decide what type of shooting appeals to you. There are dozens of disciplines some with very specific calibers, and others with open calibers meaning any cakiber of firearm can be used.

You need to look at the type of shooting you would like to do. Here are a few;
    • F-Class
    • .22lr benchrest
    • Gallery
    • Rimfire pistol
    • Sporting
    • Vintage
    Once you have chosen your desired sport you must choose an appropriate caliber to compete with. Your options would be a rifle of one of the following calibers;
    • .22lr
    • 6.5x284
    • 7mm WSM
    There are literally dozens of other calibers but these would be a good mix of target calibers suitable for the few disciplines named above.

Next step is to pick a firearm. Go to as many dealers as you can. Do not rush the decision. Its can be a long enough process to get the license so you cannot pick choose, change your mind, pick choose change your mind once the license process has begun.
    Go out and try as many makes/models of the caliber you would most like, but keep an open mind to other calibers as sometimes you end up buying a caliber you did not intend to buy.

Once ypu have a rifle, caliber, make/model choosen you then need to apply for a license. The red announcement at the top of the main shooting page will give you all the basics. Anything else you need can be asked here. In short you need;
    • An FCA1 (application form)
    • Letter of sale from dealer with firearm details
    • Photos x 2
    • Referees to vouch for your character x 2
    • Medical details
    • Range details including membership number and copy of membership card.
    • Seperate sheet of paper with an explanation as to why you want this firearm plus explanations for a mod (silencer) if you choose to get one.
    • A witness to sign the application.
    • All secure acomodation requirements in place as there is a box you must tick to say you have them in place.
    The applcaition can take from 4 weeks to 3 months, and some have even waited up to a year for their license. It is meant to be done within a 3 month time period, but this does not always happen depending on which Garda district you are in.

Once a decision has been made you will receive a receipt letter followed shortly after by a grant letter (if successful) to say you have been granted the license. You can take this and pay your €80 at the post office and within 3-5 day your license will arrive in the post. You can do as some do and use the grant letter, and receipt of payment at the post office to show your license is on the way, but for the sake of a couple of days i don't personally see the need.

You collect your firearm, go to the range and enjoy your shooting.

Before deciding on a rifle, and discipline it's best to find out which range best suits the needs of your chossen discipline. I mean no point choosing long range target shooting if your 3-4 hours away from the midlands range. The distance can be a deterent. However with long range the only option for you is the mdlands. For any other discipline you have a number of choices. The midlands covers pretty much every type of shooting. Membership is €600 for the FIRST YEAR ONLY and then €295 per year after that. The cheapest for the array of disciplines availabel in the country.

If you decide to start off with the CZ in .22lr you will find a good variety of competitions, disciplines, and ranges all around the country to suit your needs.

Whatever you choose good luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement