Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You have questions, I have answers. Lets have some fun...

• 23-01-2012 7:38pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I asked the Mods about this and they thought it might be fun.

You ask me anything you like and I'll answer it as honestly as I can.

b9adf594-1f14-4eed-831e-b10bee93726e.jpg

I guess mostly the questions will be about Boards.ie or SSF (I am the progenitor of the idea and one of the 5 original founders) but lets see where it goes.

There are some caveats. :)
    1. I wont answer anything very personal about my family or me.
    2. I wont divulge company details where I am prohibited from doing so.
    3. I wont break any confidence of people I work with.
    4. When you loopers think of something mean that isnt covered by those, I'm reserving the right to not answer that too :p

1-2 questions per person... I answer, then we move on. If you want to discuss it in general, start a second thread pls.

Why do this??
    1. Craic. It might be some.

2. I'm sitting in Malta for a week waiting for my gum to heal after an operation and the idiotic rules say I cant fly for 7 days.

3. People I chatted to after the whole "depression" thread thing hadnt a bogs notion what my involvement with Boards is and then started asking me lots of questions. Now I'm cool with being anonymous here but it was suggested to do a Q&A and I thought it might be fun too.

If theres anything you ever wanted to know about Boards, its history, formation, direction, or god forbid, me... now is your chance, I promise to be as honest as I can be. (God help me :) )

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

how much money does boards make in net profit every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bonzer79

Are the CIA/FBI still watching you :cool:
    and do you still dabble in a little poker? (that might be DEV but hey Q1 stands)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Net?? Jesus I dunno... um, I think its negative or break even. We dont make much beyond the staff costs. Can you define Net better and I will get you details. We are investing in the company still (all the development you see around) so we reinvest any revenue in the site and then some.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

How's the weather in Malta? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Have you ever tried to lick your elbow ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who is going to win The Gold Cup and Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham this year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Are you married? ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

bonzer79 wrote: »
    Are the CIA/FBI still watching you :cool:
    and do you still dabble in a little poker? (that might be DEV but hey Q1 stands)
    I get the *weirdest* looks when I go through American customs. They scan my passport, go to hand it back and then pull back and start reading. And then start scrolling. And then slowly hand the passport back.

I did ask one day to read what was on the screen and the guy got all confused and then wouldnt let me. He turned the monitor away when I leaned over to try to peak :)

I still get the odd xmas card from the US embassy, got one last year but none this year. :(

DeV.

I dont play poker for my living any more but I still like to chuck chips around with mates. The scene changed and I didnt like where it went.

DeV.

How's the weather in Malta? :)
    Cold and a bit damp bu bright. I really like these people and this island.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

If you could change something about boards, what would it be?

Do you still have that awesome Postman Pat Transformer that you won at the SSF comedy gig? Still think it was a fix you won it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Has Boards.ie ever got into any high profile legal battles? Could you give a brief outline if so?

Has Boards.ie ever made national headlines or been the subject of any major publication for any reason ?

mattjack wrote: »
    Have you ever tried to lick your elbow ?
    Yes! (Hasnt everybody?!)

DeV.

why don't you call about our baby anymore

Lapin wrote: »
    Who is going to win The Gold Cup and Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham this year ?
    Faasel , 20-1... lump it on!

this is almost certainly bollox

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

DeVore wrote: »
    Yes! (Hasnt everybody?!)

DeV.

Yes, I was just checkin'.Can I have your access code ?

Are you married? ;)
    No. And I dont intend to thanks very much!! Quite happily single.

DeV.

bluewolf wrote: »
    why don't you call about our baby anymore
    The judge told me to stop calling. He said it was "harrassment".... pffff.. :rolleyes:

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The scene changed and I didnt like where it went.

*snigger*

Here's a few:

1. Do you ever talk to Cloud much any more? Pal around I mean, rather than bidness matters.

2. How come you don't call bluewolf about your baby anymore? Poor woman's driven to distraction with the poverty.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Has Boards.ie ever got into any high profile legal battles? Could you give a brief outline if so?

Has Boards.ie ever made national headlines or been the subject of any major publication for any reason ?
    We got into a HUUGE legal battle with MCD because they demanded to know the identity of a poster without any legal papers (court order) to justify that. We refused and 7 years later the case dropped off the books. It was a very scary time for us.

We regularly face down legal letters and threats. I'd say probably 2 a month. At this stage, its not so scary for us but its still a danger.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

1/ Apart from Pighead who is the greatest living Irishman in the country today?

2/ You seem to visit Malta quite a bit and Pighead's guessing that you have the means to fcuk off out of this God forsaken hellhole anytime you so wish. Have you ever been tempted to say cheerio and head off into the sunset?

3/ Ever fallen in love with someone?
    Ever fallen in love?
    In love with someone
    Ever fallen in love? (Love…)
    In love with someone
    You shouldn't've fallen in love with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Maltese Dentists v Irish Dentists ?

Marks out of 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Who ever did win in the ICQL and did you defeat CW?

*snigger*

Here's a few:

1. Do you ever talk to Cloud much any more? Pal around I mean, rather than bidness matters.

2. How come you don't call bluewolf about your baby anymore? Poor woman's driven to distraction with the poverty.
    Actually I didnt mean IPB at all, I still get one well enough with them. They are good guys, I meant the whole live poker scene got quite nasty from when it used to be a cool underground community.

Cloud and I talk on and off, we're still good mates but he's in Galway and I'm in Dublin and neither of us play Quake any more. He has kids and I travel for my work a fair bit (Boards isnt my only job... I'd starve :p) so we dont get to "hang out" online as much as before but relations between us are always warm and I like seeing him at the occasional directors meetings. He's an interesting man with a BIG brain.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you ever get banned? Why? Not likely being admin but any similar requests to a ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Net?? Jesus I dunno... um, I think its negative or break even. We dont make much beyond the staff costs. Can you define Net better and I will get you details. We are investing in the company still (all the development you see around) so we reinvest any revenue in the site and then some.

DeV.

thanks.
    plain old net after EVERYTHING to do with the expenditure of the company is accounted for . After wages, overheads and tax? you pretty much answered though didnt you? refine as appropriate :p

ok then what do you take as a wage then?

Pighead wrote: »
    1/ Apart from Pighead who is the greatest living Irishman in the country today?

2/ You seem to visit Malta quite a bit and Pighead's guessing that you have the means to fcuk off out of this God forsaken hellhole anytime you so wish. Have you ever been tempted to say cheerio and head off into the sunset?

3/ Ever fallen in love with someone?
    Ever fallen in love?
    In love with someone
    Ever fallen in love? (Love…)
    In love with someone
    You shouldn't've fallen in love with?

1. Boy, the greatest living Irishman... thats a tough one. I dont rate many. I would probably say something like "my dad" but thats all covered with icky ghey. Why not Irish "person"? Garret Fitzgerald would be the answer if he hadnt passed away recently. I spent 3 days in Brussels with him and he dwarfs all our politicians combined.

2. I stuck it out here in the late 80s and 90s because I'm a patriot. I will always pay Irish tax, the country educated me and I love it.... but yeah, the recent raping the citizens are getting makes me soooo angry that its actually bad for me mentally and I have considered leaving recently.

3. No. I'm not really the touchy feely lovey type. I'm a bit cold that way.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Are you ever tempted to sign up a second account and go trollolol your way to a ban?

Have you ever noticed another countries border and immigration peeps react the way the yanks do? Be interesting if you've been redflagged thanks to the cia anywhere else :D

Maltese dentists are at least as good as Irish ones, if not better. I dont have comprehensive surveys but my subjective experience is that they are better by 2-3 points on your 1-10 scale. they are about 1/5th of the price. 20%.

An attempted build up, a root canal and finally an extraction in total cost me 85 Euro from a man who lectures in dentistry at the local college. His place is very high tech too.
    Malta is consider in the top 5 places in the world for healthcare and its absolutely true. It makes me so angry that they are sooo much better at general healthcare then us.

DeV.

• Advertisement

IM0 wrote: »
    thanks.
    plain old net after EVERYTHING to do with the expenditure of the company is accounted for . After wages, overheads and tax? you pretty much answered though didnt you? refine as appropriate :p

ok then what do you take as a wage then?
    I am paid 2,250e + vat per month for my work with Boards. Its a token because I know we are investing in the company. If you divided my hours spent into that, it probably breaks some EU laws :)

DeV.

Who ever did win in the ICQL and did you defeat CW?
    I think CW went undefeated when playing on equal terms with others. nD and CT were there too, savage players. Dont recall who won ICQL... think it was CW.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

1. You talk quite a bit about how Boards is liable for what its members say on here and how unjust that is, if it was up to you; would you ever seriously consider challenging in court the laws that dictate that to be the case?
    2. Have you ever or would you consider(ed) getting into politics, and which party; past or present, would most accommodate your views/leanings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

If boards didn't exist what would you be doing with your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

question 1 - If you could - would you ?

question 2 - if you did - would you regret it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Maltese dentists are at least as good as Irish ones, if not better. I dont have comprehensive surveys but my subjective experience is that they are better by 2-3 points on your 1-10 scale. they are about 1/5th of the price. 20%.

An attempted build up, a root canal and finally an extraction in total cost me 85 Euro from a man who lectures in dentistry at the local college. His place is very high tech too.
    Malta is consider in the top 5 places in the world for healthcare and its absolutely true. It makes me so angry that they are sooo much better at general healthcare then us.

DeV.

where did he make up the rule about not flying for 7 days after an extraction??

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Did you ever get banned? Why? Not likely being admin but any similar requests to a ban?

I think Regi edited the database once during one of our "Madmin" days waaaaay back in history. We would take one day and the admins would just go crazy and have the online equivalent of a pillow/water fight. We'd mess with user accounts and change stuff wholesale. I edited all the other admins accounts to make them regular users and Dan accessed the database through MySql and banned me :(

Other then that, I got "banned" from Politics once for breach of the rules. They cant ban admins (we learned that one fast!) but I agreed to not post as a user there for the week ban. :)
    Bold Dev!

Other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do you post as a regular Boardsie at all
    i.e. not in an Admin sense but as a 'fan' of a particular subject(s)?

What are some of your pet peeves relating to Boards.ie and its posters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You've always had great ambitions for boards in terms of how it could play a role in Irish in a broader sense:

1) How close is boards to fulfilling those ambitions?

2) How compromised would boards have to become before you would consider giving up on those ambitions?

Nevore wrote: »
    Are you ever tempted to sign up a second account and go trollolol your way to a ban?

Have you ever noticed another countries border and immigration peeps react the way the yanks do? Be interesting if you've been redflagged thanks to the cia anywhere else :D

I've never been tempted to troll under another name. If I have something to say, I'll say it under this name. I think trolling to deliberately annoy people is childish and idiotic anyway.

Never noticed anything similar but I did recently apply for a visitors visa to China and I held my breath about that...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What caused you to be flagged by the fbi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

1) Do you see The Left Hook growing and attending more events in relation to it? (aswell as more dirty hacks for streams :pac:)

2) Why the Mr. Benn av? Do you also own a costume shop with a single creepy customer who never buys anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

You probably have to stay a wee bit impartial, but i've a few questions about some members of boards.

1, secretly you must have had a favourite poster over the years (someone who made you laugh/agreed with their posts and views) aka, a fcuking legend!

2, same question as above, only a poster who constantly got on your nerves.

3, finally, which poster (in your view) was mistakenly given Mod status, that constantly abused their status/spoke out of line/ballsed things up in general?

Thanks

1. You talk quite a bit about how Boards is liable for what its members say on here and how unjust that is, if it was up to you; would you ever seriously consider challenging in court the laws that dictate that to be the case?
    2. Have you ever or would you consider(ed) getting into politics, and which party; past or present, would most accommodate your views/leanings?

1. Yes. Absolutely. But where do you go about doing that?? If I could change that law, I would die a happy man.

2. Yes I have but before I always thought it would be p*ssing against the wind. Then my mate Stephen Donnelly went and actually did it. I've given it some thought again but the system is still screwed and they are wasting his brain on the back benches of the opposition. He's smarter than the ENTIRE CABINET imho.
    So yes, I have but I'm concerned that my honesty on Boards would be bullets for my enemies but I also think I could help.
    I just spent the day with the leader of the opposition here in Malta advising them how to do tech better and he was so open to suggestions from my experience it made me ashamed to be Irish when you look at the idiots we have elected and our system.

Sorry, I should add... I'm socially libertarian and fiscally "smart" (I dont see left or right doing it correctly in terms of business and finance).

Dev.

If boards didn't exist what would you be doing with your life?
    Wasting it I would guess. Probably being a suit at a desk. Every day, every freakin day, I'm grateful for what Boards has done for me and my life. I mean it, its given me more experiences and freedom then I can ever repay and I'm humbled by it.

DeV.

dj jarvis wrote: »
    question 1 - If you could - would you ?

question 2 - if you did - would you regret it ?
    1. Almost certainly yes.

2. Almost certainly yes.

I want my last words to be "oh wow...Cooool..... hey, what does this button do???" :)

DeV.

where did he make up the rule about not flying for 7 days after an extraction??

Sorry, I wasnt clear. This trip is for an implant (a screw and socket into my jaw bone) so it requires a stay.

Combine that with the foot long piece of titanium in my leg, and screw in my hip and I'm verrrrry slooooow replacing myself with Ruubot.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Will S&S ever get the go ahead as a non subscriber forum?

Where would you like to see boards in 5 years time with regard to its effect on Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

what league are you currently in in SC2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What do you do for a living? (apart from boards)

Were you actually investigated CIA and FBI and why?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do you post as a regular Boardsie at all
    i.e. not in an Admin sense but as a 'fan' of a particular subject(s)?

What are some of your pet peeves relating to Boards.ie and its posters?

Oh yeah, I post on MMA, Photography, AH primarily but I have about 20 forums on follow for my personal interests.

I absolutely HATE people who are rude to other people. I guess its why we have the "civility" rules from the early days. I hate that "youtube" mentality of just being utterly rude to other human beings... and when I see it on Boards I tend to have to hold myself back from jumping in and giving them a taste of their own medicine.
    I hate Trolls because they are idiotic and pointless and simply add to the general stress of the world. Its negative and selfish and destructive when the same energy could do something positive and everyone (even they!) would feel better for it.

DeV.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement