Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excess oil removal

Options
  • 23-01-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all, quick question. I was out shooting with my brother-in-law today and after we got home,I was cleaning my rifle. Halfway through I went for a pee break and himself,trying to be helpful, decided to keep on running a few patches through. Fair play to him,he's keen to help and wants to get a .22 so I let him off(bit of practice will do him good). However,he sprayed oil all over the action and into the barrel:mad: what's the best way to clean it off as I don't want to fcuk up a new gun as she shoots so much better with a bit of dirt. Help please....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Him spraying oil on the action and into the barrel is no harm. Just wipe it down and use a few dry patches through the barrel. A few fouling shots will have her back dirty soon enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Get an old T-Shirt. Cut a section 4" wide, and about 8-12 inches long. Roll it up into a cylinder/cigar shape. Remove the bolt, run the "cigar" into the action and let the rifle stand on its butt for a few hours.

If the roll of T-Shirt is not tight then cut another section until you have a tight fit. This stops any oil not being caught by the rag.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Would a good copper brushing and solvent help?

Stay away from copper brushes. They are unnecessary. The solvent does the work. A nylon brush to aggitate the fouling is all you need or a dual application of solvent to remove any residue.

For removing the oil now - no. Avoid the temptation to use an air line also. They simply blow the oil everywhere, and unless they have a vapour trap can leave water particles in the action that can lead to rust, corrosion, etc.

I use an old tooth brush with a rag around it to clean the inside of my actions. I also drop off the stock to clean under the action, etc.

If you think there is still oil sitting in the action, chamber, barrel, use the rag tip above and let if run out. Then after a night of sitting use some dry patches and keep running them through the rifle until they run out dry.

TBH once you remove the excess any remnants should not cause a problem.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I was just going to use the brush in the barrel. I have the action pretty much clean now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Longranger wrote: »
    However,he sprayed oil all over the action and into the barrel:mad: what's the best way to clean it off as I don't want to fcuk up a new gun as she shoots so much better with a bit of dirt. Help please....

I hold on to the old white tshirts just for the purpose of cleaning. I wouldn't worry about this too much, especially on a rifle.

When it comes to pistols, I am a bit more concerned with: (a) too much oil + fouling = abrasion and (b) too much oil may strip grease from places in need.

Again, when it comes to pistols, I contact the dealer and ask specifically for points where grease or lube is required.

It was oil, not WD40, correct?

Yup,RemOil.I would never use WD-40 as I believe it fcuks up the bluing. I'm heading out in the morning and will give her(the rifle) a good going over after. Should it take long to get rid of the residue?

I was just going to use the brush in the barrel. .
    Thats what i was refering to. You never use an abrasive brush in the action.

As for the barrel i still do not see the need for a bronze/copper brush for cleaning the barrel. Most copper solvents (M-Pro 7, Butch's, KG, Hoppes, etc) are designed to remove the copper fouling found in a barrel. The need to scrub this is essentially moot. Allow the solvent to do the work then clean thoroughly afterwards.

If you feel the need to clean again then do so or use a non-abrasive nylon brush to aggitate the fouling. However its not the bore i'd be concerned about. Its the muzzle. When you run the brush out of the barrel covered in fouling, oil, solvent, etc and pull it back into the barrel to you are rubbing againt the muzzl/crown. Do this enough and the mixutre of crap on the brush with the brush itself will act as an abrasive pad, and can over time damage the crown.

Just my opinion. Others may differ.

Sorry Ez,that's what I thought you meant, just making sure. I usually push the brush through from the chamber and un-screw it, then do the same the opposite way. I'm always afraid of it getting stuck if I pull it through backwards with a bit of cloth in the chamber to catch any ****e. Maybe I'm being stupid but I aint messing this baby up;)

Also,I'm a bit iffy about the boresnake. I've heard a couple of horror stories from lads with .17 calibre rifles having the cord snap halfway through the barrel, even with a slow pull!

• Advertisement

I usually push the brush through from the chamber and un-screw it, ........
    Thats the best method if using a brush.
    Also,I'm a bit iffy about the boresnake. I've heard a couple of horror stories from lads with .17 calibre rifles having the cord snap halfway through the barrel, even with a slow pull!
    Not a fan of boresnakes. They have their uses as in when out in the field and you need an "emergency" clean. Other than that i see no use for them. Again a personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Hello, I am brand new here and live in the US. I reviewed your site in advance and found that (in my opinion) you have a little bit different angle on shooting that one could learn from, and your site is in english :). The members seem to be very "technically competent" on average. (I have already learned well from your posts regarding the mounting of scopes.)

Below are a couple interesting links on barrel cleaning that go all round the barn, may make interesting reading. Pick which ever theory suits you as there are many. For me, I use Butch's or Hoppes 9 with a few passes (from breech to muzzle) of a copper brush, then wet patches to get out the carbon, then wet patch and leave soak a while to get the copper, then dry patch. Hoppes 9 comes out just as blue with copper as Butch's, but no lack of good copper solvents on the market. Butch's will etch stock finish, so have to protect wood, Hoppes is more forgiving. Cheers!

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html

Hello EWQuinn and welcome to the site.

The 6mmBR/accushooter site has always been a good read for reviews, etc from a "wider" audience.

As with your links everyone has a different opinion, and i've often said that trying to convince someone their method is wrong is like insulting his wife or children. :D

I have never been a fan of brushing simply because i believe the products to be sufficient to remove the fouling. I rely mostly on M-Pro7 for both the custom barrels (require less cleaning) and giving the factory rifles a cleaning. Butch's Bore Shine for the factory rifles needing a thorough cleaning. On occassion i may use nylon brush, but as said above this is removed prior to the rod being pulled back down the barrel.

I think the overall "moral" of this whole point should be to ensure your barrel is properly cleaned. All the products, and methods are fine, but if it is not fully cleaning the barrel a build up of copper residue can occur and accuracy suffers s a result.

Of course, as wa said in the link, the proper equipment for cleaning is as important as the products being used. A loose bore guide, cheap rod, etc will do as much harm as improper cleaning.

I think its one of those topics that could be discussed continuously without a "resolution".:)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Thank you Ezridax, your points are well taken. Especially regarding not getting rifle cleaning equipment "on the cheap". You have at least one very prominant barrel maker who agrees with you regarding brushes. Its great to be here. EWQuinn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Why don't you just clean it a again, ye managed to clean it in the first place, its not rocket science! :rolleyes:

Gee thanks! Never thought of that:P:D

Advertisement