Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leeds Metropolitan University

Options
  • 23-01-2012 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm due to graduate from UCD this year and I'm considering going to Leeds Metropolitan University to do an MA in Business (IPOS). Just wondering if anyone has attended this university and what they thought of it? Or if they have completed that course? Or just some views on Leeds in general...costs of living etc. I've researched quite a lot but would love some real opinions so anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

More a general observation than a Leeds specific one but why have you chosen Leeds Metropolitan University specifically? It wouldn't be a well known university.

There's a lot of business schools in the UK and is there any reason that that particular one stands out to you? Just to make sure you've researched all options.

The only thing I can think of is the IPOS thing which can end up being a bit too broad which can be a weakness as well as a strength. Just something to bear in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clairew90

Thanks for your reply. My main reason for picking the university was the fact that I found the course there first. I am still in the research stages but the majority of the courses I have found in other English universities have very high fees but the fees for this course were actually decent. Obviously I have researched courses here in Ireland but they too have proven costly.

I also looked up some websites that had opinions on English universities which were by students themselves and the majority of opinions were very much in favour of Leeds Metropolitan University and the city itself has been described as the UK's main student city.

With regards to the IPOS, I'm currently doing an Arts degree so I have no previous academic experience at university level in business so this course is suitable as students can come from any academic discipline. And because I am torn between what business routes I would like to take in the future, I think a broad one is the best option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Im from Bradford (the city next to Leeds).

Its a decent city. Really good nightlife and it's a lot cheaper to live in a northern city than you would get down south. The people are generally nice but like anywhere you get idiots.

Don't know much about the uni itself as my mates mainly went to the Leeds Uni (not met) but they all had a blast and really love the city itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

clairew90 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. My main reason for picking the university was the fact that I found the course there first. I am still in the research stages but the majority of the courses I have found in other English universities have very high fees but the fees for this course were actually decent. Obviously I have researched courses here in Ireland but they too have proven costly.

I also looked up some websites that had opinions on English universities which were by students themselves and the majority of opinions were very much in favour of Leeds Metropolitan University and the city itself has been described as the UK's main student city.

With regards to the IPOS, I'm currently doing an Arts degree so I have no previous academic experience at university level in business so this course is suitable as students can come from any academic discipline. And because I am torn between what business routes I would like to take in the future, I think a broad one is the best option for me.

I have spent 16 years working in the UK in business organisations (consultancies and banks) and have dealt with hundreds of graduates in that time, both business and non business related, bachelors and higher (including involvement in recruitment). I have never come across anyone who graduated from Leeds Met which is not to say that it is a poor university but simply that it will not be widely known or regarded.

There is little point is spending money on a less well known or well regarded degree. UCD will be well known in the UK and being foreign and in the top 2 in Ireland, better regarded than a lower tier university in a second tier UK city (sorry to be blunt).

Advertisement