Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best tractor for wrapping

• 23-01-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hello i was just wondering what would be the best cheap tractor to put a mchale or any other wrapper on? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

2wd anyway with an oil cooler, sumthin light on diesel. I saw a 6410 with paddy lacey on donedeal a few wks back, that would get my vote.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2730714

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2730714?cid=2730714

I've one of these engines in a 5000 and it's a miser on diesel, I'm feeding over 100 cattle a day, spent a few hrs at slurry and I haven't filled the tank (think it's 13 or maybe 15 gals) yet this year.:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Whats your opinion of cheap?? Feck all power required for wrapping, All you need is quick hydraulics, Old internationals have very fast hydraulics like the 784/885 etc and could be bought handy enough but if you plan on going doing hire work you would want something a bit better. I would also say if getting a 4wd get something with a good steering lock because from about 40000 bales experience your always arsing around and trying to avoid other bales, A shuttle wouldnt go astray either. If land is a a bit hilly I would say go 4wd because it can be a bit awkward picking bales with a 2wd. I use a 6610 jd wrapping for the summer which is about 115/120hp it think and to be honest a 60 horse power tractor would do the job as good if it had the same oil flow in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

I wrapped for a long time with a 4610, very light on diesel and a mighty gripper if u got into a tight spot !

• Registered Users Posts: 15 michael8360

aye was lookin at them internationals seem to be bought handy enough. tanks for the help lads:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

aye was lookin at them internationals seem to be bought handy enough. tanks for the help lads:)

they are not a bad tractor not hard on diesel and parts are not too dear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

MF 390 would be the ideal tractor for wrapping turn on the second pump and no tractor will match the oil hydraulic flow.;) Very easy on diesel as well. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2798010

A nice john deer if your a deer man. ;)http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tractors/2894153

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

for going between jobs if you can get your hands on something with a 40k box then all the better too.

I *think* the 300 series masseys can be converted relatively easily to 40k?

one of those swore I read it somewhere type things.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

For you're own use I'd get something like a Case 784. Had one for 5/6 years and are pretty good all round (except for the rotten roof on the cab). They have nice fast hydraulics, tight turning circle and high seating position. Not alot of room in the cab for passangers either :). At the end of the day it's a machine that will do alot of jobs around a farm or yard too

If you're going to be doing a bit of contract work then personally I think you need around 100hp 4wd. Ideally with left hand shuttle, I find it stops you riding the clutch every time you stop to wrap a bale. 75 or 80hp would probably do but you never know when you might want to stick a mower or baler on it so you're never stuck really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Alot of boys round home seem to use same tractors, I'm sure someone else can say why or not

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

a fiat 880 or 90-90 would be great for this. very fat hydraulics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I would say, 4 cylinder, 4WD, LH shuttle and a 110L hydraulic pump. The difference between a 70L and a 110L hydraulic pump is phenomenal

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

it depends on if your going out on hire then you want resinous fast hydrolics and probly 4wd but if you not then it dosent reilly matter we use a mf 165 for our own rapping and a landini 8550 or jd 6610 when out on contract wrk. reason is 1 when were at our own them 2 tractors are drawing in. it looks better if you go in to a farmers yard with 4wd and bit bigger and newer than a 165, if i were u buy a 290, 390, something round that youll pick them up awful handy now a days and there light on disel

Advertisement