Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One-bed apartment rental prices - Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

A Disgrace wrote: »
    It's a discussion, and I'm simply saying I do not believe the facts and figures being put forward by the Government. In fact, like the figures for the amount of money 'saved' from the crackdown on welfare fraud, I believe they have exaggerated the totals once again.

And why would they do it? Well, to justify the huge reductions in RA rates and levels of course

Of course, it's hard to argue against so-called official figures and I am far from an expert on the matter, but as I'm at pains to say in each of my posts, I simply find it hard to believe the stats. That's all.

I really don't think that's the case at all - the review (here) http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Policy/ResearchSurveysAndStatistics/Pages/rentreview2011.aspx lists 3 sources for their information, the CSO, the PRTB and Daft.
    Personally, given the unemployment rise in the last 3 years and the frozen property market, I'm surprised it's not higher.

If you look at the last review in 2010 (here) http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2010/Pages/pr100610.aspx

"County Roscommon: The current rent supplement limit for a couple with three children or one parent family with three children is €780 per month. However, the average rental value for a 3 bedroom property in Co. Roscommon is €500 per month."

The new limit in the recent review - is now 480 and there are currently 46 homes (4 bed) on Daft for rent for under 500 Euro. The cheapest 350 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Is the moratorium on repossession of properties still in effect?

Until the overpriced properties are repossessed or forced to be sold at realistic prices rents will stay high. Too many people from what I can see are trying to get as close to their mortgage amounts as possible so feel they have no choice but to keep the rents high.

When people can again purchase apartments at lower prices then they can afford to rent them out at lower prices.

Bring on the repossessions I say since renters appear to be ****ed either way at the moment anyway i.e. paying the cost of the property/banking mess via higher taxes and paying high rents due to the protection of those who cannot afford to pay back mortgages on overpriced properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

UDP wrote: »
    Is the moratorium on repossession of properties still in effect?

Until the overpriced properties are repossessed or forced to be sold at realistic prices rents will stay high. Too many people from what I can see are trying to get as close to their mortgage amounts as possible so feel they have no choice but to keep the rents high.
    Unfortunately a lot of well-intentioned but misguided people are totally against repossessions, wrongly worrying about 'families on the side of the road', not realising that there are families already renting who want to and could pay their own way, and another generation of families coming up behind who are excluded totally from the market by the generation who bought during the bubble and are now sitting in properties and not paying their mortgages.

Hence, banks (other than Smart and other non-Irish lenders) are loathe to repossess at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A Disgrace wrote: »
    And why would they do it? Well, to justify the huge reductions in RA rates and levels of course.

The huge reductions in rent allowance won't be announced, its now thought until the next budget- as the government are adamant that they will not have a supplementary budget this year. The next phase of the EU IMF study is our social welfare programmes- with an emphasis on all programmes other than headline payments (for everyone- including pensioners, the long term unemployed, those in work trying to claim PRSI treatments etc etc).

Various figures are being bandied about- but its thought that over the next 4 years, it should be possible to reduce all allowances (abolishing several altogether) in order to cut another 8 billion from the social welfare budget.

There have been minor cuts to rent-allowance thus far- the proposals on the table at the moment make these cuts pale into insignificance........

Advertisement