Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Problems.

Options
  • 23-01-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Okay,
    So I got a new PC for Christmas, I went over the budget I was given by 70euro so I wasn't allowed to get any new games with that so I had to stick with the games I already had bought such as Minecraft and other non graphic intense games.

But last week it was my birthday, and I got some money so I bought BF3.
    After finally getting it installed onto the correct hard drive, I played it.
    I set the settings to Ultra and was getting a steady 60FPS even above.

So after about 10mins into the game, my game freezes, and the sound starts looping, just the same noise over and over again until I managed to close it with task manager.

My GPU is the Gigabyte HD 9650 1GB. I used Steam to update my GPU drivers when I got it and that downloaded a 200Mb file so I assume that was all the drivers, and I just checked there and it says there are no updates.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What makes you sure its a GPU issue? It could just be a generic bug. From memory BF3 has had its fair share(I refuse to buy it due to Origin).

The fact that it goes for 10 mins then stops could suggest a heat issue, have you tested the rig? To do so run Prime95 and Furmark or similar tools simultaneously and monitor temperatures, they will have your rig running full tilt so it will heat up, but if all is ok it wont overheat. Once it peaks and sits there for a while you can be reasonably confident its stable, if it freezes you have a problem.

After that try some other modern games and see how you get on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Sounds to me like overheating, also to count it out try reseating your RAM, loose memory/not properly secured modules can cause this!

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

yoyo wrote: »
    Sounds to me like overheating, also to count it out try reseating your RAM, loose memory/not properly secured modules can cause this!

Nick

Thanks for this, I'm not sure overheating would be the problem although I didn't actually check so it very well could be, but the Gigabyte model cards are huge and have three fans.
    I'll try playing again and check my temp regularly. I've never seen the temp go above 40 playing any game though.

I did install a new hard drive during the weekend and I could have accidentally hit one of the sticks of RAM slightly out of place, I can try that too. Thanks for the advice.

I'm just assuming its a GPU Problem, doing a 5min search came up with similar problems often but only once or twice with the exact same symptoms.

edit: Okay after posting this I decided to delete my GPU drivers and reinstall them making sure I got the most up to date ones from the site and not from steam.
    It hasn't happened yet, and that was since I played a 20min game so I think/hope its fixed.
    Its also not a temperature problem as even with the settings on ultra the temp of any component did not go over 50.

Advertisement