Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

friend for my dog

• 23-01-2012 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

i have a one year old westie and i was wondering what are the benefits to getting a friend for her?

she is very sociable and i would love to have another dog but not sure if its the right time or the right thing to do considering molly is quite settled!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Hi, my first Westie was 11 years old when we got him a Westie Girl. Since day one when Molly arrived we are saying what have we missed 11 years! Even when my first Westie passed away there was no question that Molly will be from now on a "Single" Westie. We got her a little brother and they are happy as they can be together :D
    IMG_0632.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well it depends on your individual circumstances and also on your current dog. Personally I do think dogs like company of their own kind. I know my own Westie lights up at any sign of a dog in the distance, she has many doggy friends and displays great annoyance at going home/them going home so it's very clear in my case that she would benefit from having a permanent friend, though she probably had something much bigger in mind than what she's getting :p. I don't expect it to be completely problem free though, so my best advice if you decide to get a second dog is choose wisely and introduce them properly from the start to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I think it's great to allow her a little canine companion! They'll be great company for each other and I think at 1year she's at the right age (she's nicely settled and all yet still young enough to be open to welcome a new dog into the home.

From an owners point of view, having 2dogs is just as easy as 1. Doesn't cost much more and your little lady will thank you!:)

If you are considering a rescue dog, a good option is to foster a dog for a week or two to see how they get on before you adopt.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kats39

Hello,

I am thinking of getting a companion dog for my dog. She is however, only 6 months old. She adores other dogs and any company will do for her, she even plays with the cats( to their annoyance!) Is this a good idea? She is very clingy to me, she will whine and bark when I leave the room...even if the kids are with her. She frets also at night. Would another dog help her?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LovelyHurlin

You could try fostering a dog from a local rescue. This way you get to see how you/your dog cope with a second dog about the place AND you get to help to save the life of another dog.
    Win, win!

If you find that you like having a second dog and it suits your situation, then you could look to get a permanent resident. If it doesn't work out, well at least you have another dog a foster home and a chance at finding thier forever home :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kats39

Good idea!
    Will defo look into that!
    Thanks

Advertisement