Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monday night sessions to accommodate novice and intermediate players

Options
  • 23-01-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I'm considering starting a session on monday nights in the Arás Chronaín in Clondalkin if i can get a few interested.

The aim is to get novice and intermediates into session experience.

Anyone interrested - please let me know - thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Fair play Kathleen.

I've been involved in a simular session in CCE in Monkstown for the last 3 years. It's still going strong and whilst the better players have moved on, there is a constant flow of new members. Haven't been there much for the last while due to work committments but pay the occassional visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

Thanks Trad,

any tips or hints at all on starting? I was thinking of (depending on the people interested) each picking a few tunes and making a small set list and perhaps once a month or every two weeks, inviting an accomplished trad musician along to help out and maybe in time teach a new tune.

You need a strong leader. Some one who is a good player, who can hold a tempo and who can stop a tune if it gets out of hand.

Start off with a set list of about 6 easy sets. Draw them from 1 source so that all players learn the same version of the tunes. We use the Fonn Seisiún series of books, you can use the Craobh Nathi book or which ever source that comes to hand.

Not everyone reads sheet music or plays by ear. Again, it's important to have good quality ABc's for those of use who don't follow the dots. I can supply ABc notes for the tunes we play.

Above all players have to enjoy the experience. It's a whole new ball game going from lessons to playing in a session. I can remember in my early days constantly getting lost in a tune until eventually realising that I had played a full set straight through.

I'd go over only I work almost every Monday night but if you are free on Tuesdays you are most welcome to sit in with our group at CCE in Monkstown at 9pm.

trad

Thank you once again trad. I will have to look into the session list in the next week or so with music and work on abc notation options.

And thank you for the kind invitation to Monkstown but unfortunately i wouldn't be able to attend as i train every Tuesday. I'm generally booked every evening and weekend days hence trying to get the session started on a monday.

I haven't had any interest as of yet but hope to advertise within the Arás soon and maybe in some of the music shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whatsthecraic

Hi Trad, is the session in Monkstown open to all? And what sets do ye play? Don't have the books, but I'm sure I could source them, or learn from somewhere on the net.

• Advertisement

Session in Monkstown is open to all, no membership or fees.

Our list for 31st as follows

Queen of the Fair (Set) Jigs

Maid behind Bar (Set) Reels

Kathleen Hehirs (Set) Slides

Sheehans (Set) Reels

Sonny Murrays (Set) Hornpipes

Dusty Windowsills (Set) Jigs

Top of Maol (Set) Polkas

Salamanca (Set) Reels

Otters Holt (Set) Reels

and then open to the floor.

The sets are taken from the Foinn Seisiún series of books. Audio files are available on www.comhaltas.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 allabouttrad

Hi Kathleen. I've only just seen this post, but I would be really interested in a monday night session. I go the thursday session in Aras Chronain, but a monday night would be much better.

Hi All About Trad.

I'm sometimes at the thursday sessions in the Arás. Perhaps i'll get to see you there tonight?

I haven't had any interest apart from yourself so I was thinking of putting the idea on hold for a few months. But perhaps we could discuss it further in the Arás. What instrument do you play? Or how will I know you there? Geraldine who runs the session, will be able to point me out to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 allabouttrad

I'm considering starting a session on monday nights in the Arás Chronaín in Clondalkin if i can get a few interested.

The aim is to get novice and intermediates into session experience.

Anyone interrested - please let me know - thanks[

I have a lesson at 9pm so I'm going to drop in to the early session. What time would you be around tonight? Dee

Hi Dee, I'm really sorry, i had to work late and couldn't make it. Perhaps next week?

• Advertisement
Advertisement