Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4S Replacement Back Panel

• 23-01-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi all,

I had the most unlucky day today with my phone, don't know how many times it fell out of my pocket (I don't think I've dropped it since I've bought it) but in the end, it just took a drop of about a foot to cause the back panel to shatter.

I've been pricing back panels online, and they don't seem to expensive, but is there such a thing as "Official replacement parts"? I'd much prefer to get them, but I couldn't imagine them being available apart from through Apple.

Also is the procedure of changing the back panel tough?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

bear in mind that replacing it will void the warranty, the only way to fix it and keep the warranty is to send back to apple

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

Hi Guil, thanks for your reply. That's the one thing I was fearing with repairing it myself. Do you have any rough idea of the cost to get it repaired by Apple? If the price was reasonable I'd have no hesitation getting it fixed by them, but if it was expensive I'd fix it myself.

probably be €211, thats what they charge for an out of warranty repair afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'm pretty sure your 4S is still in warranty. Give Apple a call, should be €29 and you'll have to send your phone in.

You can get a "OEM" one from loads of sites or eBay, Amazon but if you'll need to send your phone in to Apple for any reason they'll know it's it original.

Thanks again Guil, but if it was anywhere near 100, let alone 211 I'd be doing it myself!

Also thanks Mad Muffin, I did see that it cost $29 to replace the back panel there and then in store with the Apple Geniuses in the US, but couldn't find any info relating to Ireland/Belfast/UK.

Think I'll wait till tomorrow before I buy any replacement backs online, and if its 29 in Belfast/Ireland I will definitely get Apple to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I don't think you will void your warranty if you use a decent screwdriver there will be no way of telling the phones been opened.
    Yes try get a genuine rear panel, I don't think any of the ones I've bought from Irish sellers have been genuine

Ring apple support and see what they say

Got it fixed, £25, there in then in the Apple Store in Belfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

pjjk90 wrote: »
    Of any potential iphone disaster, this is by far the quickest / easist without a doubt. 2 min fix ( as long as you have the correct screwdriver ).

Not a bad price OP, considering original apple part & instore fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

replacing the back glass does not void warranty, the only thing that does is removing the sticker that is over the top screw holding the motherboard in place. I would say go for it and replace it with an after market one, they look exactly the same. Just make sure there is a flash defuser on it

if you are worried about sending it back to apple they wont repair it for free with a broken back glass anyway.

€211 is just stupid money to pay for a repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

pjjk90 wrote: »

Have the same problem myself on the iphone 4 . Ill be heading north to get it done so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dev100 wrote: »
    Have the same problem myself on the iphone 4 . Ill be heading north to get it done so.

Save yourself the trip and source off ebay. Irish seller in there for Less than 12€ and im sure they have a place in D15 you can collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Just a note to anyone buying an after market back.

Make sure it has a flash diffuser and metal screw holders.

Advertisement