Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity query

Options
  • 23-01-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

We just got a hefty bill from airtricity (only recently switched to them) and just want to see if its normal.

The bill is quite confusing but I'll do my best to explain it clearly.

Total Electricity Charges for this invoice - €181.44

Billing period 28th Oct - 10th Jan

Total Gas Charges for this invoice - €377.44

Billing period 19th Oct - 14th Nov

TOTAL: €558.88

Then a second bill came at the same time.

Total Gas Charges for this invoice - €37.87

Billing period 14th Nov - 15th Dec

So they are asking us for €596.75. This covers 2.5 months of electricity and 2 months of gas.

€181.44 for 2.5 months of electricity seems expensive to me, and €377.44 for less than a month of gas seems insane. We have a gas cooked and heating, but only use the heating when we have to. We wouldn't leave it on all night or anything.

The other thing I find strange is the massive drop in gas charges in the second bill. I don't recall us using the gas less in that period, but the bill is almost 10 times less for a similar amount of time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Check to see if any of the readings for both are estimated!! this would explain your high gas usage for month one which if estimated would be based on higher usage during last year's cold weather, then if they read your meter the second bill would be lower because most of the usage is already on the first bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Check to see if any of the readings for both are estimated!! this would explain your high gas usage for month one which if estimated would be based on higher usage during last year's cold weather, then if they read your meter the second bill would be lower because most of the usage is already on the first bill!

Was just about to ring them up before I checked our metre...the figure there is way higher than the estimated one on our bill and would probably triple it. I don't understand. Our bills were never so high with Board Gais. I'm afraid to ring up now in case they triple our bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Tusky wrote: »
    Was just about to ring them up before I checked our metre...the figure there is way higher than the estimated one on our bill and would probably triple it. I don't understand. Our bills were never so high with Board Gais. I'm afraid to ring up now in case they triple our bill.

Were the previous gas bills estimated? they may have been consistently undercharging you prior to now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have both gas and electricity with them. My last gas bill was for under 8 euro which was silly.
    I found that when I was entering my customer readings online, only the first one was going through - it happened to be the electricity one.

From now on, I am ringing one in and entering the other online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tusky wrote: »

Your Gas bill is for the period of 19th October to 15th December, so reading your meter now will be higher, as it's 6 weeks later. It seems that something or someone in your household is using the heating a lot more now than they did before. The meters don't lie, and the value on the meter is independent of the operator.

If you closed your account with Bord Gais by giving an actual and accurate reading, and gave this to Airtricity at the start of our account with them, then the bill is real.

If there wasn't an actual reading taken, then you could be carrying some of what you should have paid on the last BG bill onto the Airtricity bill. I think BG will always do a proper reading though before transferring your account, so this shouldn't be the case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement