Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting an irish passport for newborn baby

Options
  • 23-01-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

anyone know how quickly this can be done?
    i would like to go home to spain soon after the baby is born. the website says 6 weeks which seems a long time...
    anyone have recent first hand experience?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

First of all you need to register the birth to get a birth cert and PPS number. Once you have the birth cert you can apply for a passport. The only difficult thing is trying to get a picture of the baby- this will involve lying the baby on a white sheet and using a camera with a high shutter speed.
    Both parents have to sign the form and you will need at least one of the parent's long form birth cert, in addition to the baby's birth cert.
    If you use the passport express service at the post office you can get the passport in just over two weeks.
    I managed to fly to France with my nine week old baby.

PS. when registering the birth it is a good idea to ask for two copies of the birth cert, it saves the hassle about worrying about sending off the only official birth cert in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

The passport office are very helpful when applying for babies passport. I got my sons in four days. Just ring them and tell them you need it urgently. They will sort it out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We had ours back in a week through Passport Express. We took the photos ourselves and printed them out using the guide on the passport application form to get the dimensions right. As long as you are organised (photos signed by Garda or other authority, both parents documents in order etc) it shouldn't take very long to get it back from the Passport Office, especially at this time of year. It would be different if you were applying in the last week of June or something. Having said that, maybe get it sent off and processed before you book flights, you never know when a go-slow might strike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

quick q - the birth cert you get from the registry office is the 'long form', correct? or do I have to apply for a different cert for the passport? I'm not familiar with the concept of long and short birth certs, and i can't seem to find proper information on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Glad to have seen this thread, I am a UK Passport holder and my wife is a Polish passport holder (Same as birth certs), Will i still be able to get our baby an Irish passport or will we have to get her either a UK passport or Polish passport. (Polish passport is a hassle as you actually have to attend the Polish Embassy to get it/fill in documents).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭leanne249

snaps wrote: »
    Glad to have seen this thread, I am a UK Passport holder and my wife is a Polish passport holder (Same as birth certs), Will i still be able to get our baby an Irish passport or will we have to get her either a UK passport or Polish passport. (Polish passport is a hassle as you actually have to attend the Polish Embassy to get it/fill in documents).

firstly for how long were you living in Ireland? to get an Irish passport you have to live 3 out of 4 years prior to baby's birth in Ireland. they will seek proof i.e P60, P45's social welfare letters and etc. hth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Babies born in Ireland to British citizens are Irish by birth. See: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/passports_for_children.html.

You just need to send in your British passport with the baby's passport application.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

galah wrote: »
    quick q - the birth cert you get from the registry office is the 'long form', correct? or do I have to apply for a different cert for the passport? I'm not familiar with the concept of long and short birth certs, and i can't seem to find proper information on it...

Yes the one you get when you register is the "long form". You can double check by explaining you want one for passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

It depends on the day you have the baby. If you have the baby at the weekend you need to register the details with the birth cert office yourself. You can collect it 3 weeks after the date they register your baby in the hospital(if born during the week)

Then use passport express in the post office. It takes 10 working days from the day that they receive the application form. I work in the PO and we recommend that if you need to have it back before then you should go into the passport office on Molesworth Street. Its cheaper to do it through the post office though.

When applying you also need to send in your own passport or your partners and all originals will be sent back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

It depends on the day you have the baby. If you have the baby at the weekend you need to register the details with the birth cert office yourself. You can collect it 3 weeks after the date they register your baby in the hospital(if born during the week)

This depends on the hospital (some register, some don't) and whether the parents are married or not (if not then you have to go to the registration office).

Also my baby was born on a Sunday in the Coombe but on either the Tuesday or Wednesday someone came in to me to take the details to send them on to the registration office to get the process underway. Then we just went in a few weeks later (yeah I think we were told to wait three weeks), confirmed the details and got the cert.
    Though if it's your second or subsequent baby then you might only be in for one night and you might miss any registration process they have...?

• Advertisement

leanne249 wrote: »
    firstly for how long were you living in Ireland? to get an Irish passport you have to live 3 out of 4 years prior to baby's birth in Ireland. they will seek proof i.e P60, P45's social welfare letters and etc. hth

I've been living here for 15 years, my wife for 6 years. We already have a boy, he holds a Polish passport, but like i said, Its a real hassle having to get an appointment at the Polish embassy to get passports. I applied to get myself an Irish passport 5 years ago, but strangely there was red tape for me to get one.

For convenience we want to have our new baby (Due in march) an Irish passport. Reason why i am asking as we have a trip planned to Poland in May so will need to get a passport fairly quickly. Thanks for advice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Need to get a passport for our little one, do any pharmacies/photo shops do passport photos or do have to try and do it yourself at home (using the specs listed on the passport application form)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Some pharmacies will put a white sheet behind the pram/car seat. It may take a while though and you'd probably be better off doing it yourself at home and maybe sending three or four different photo's just in case they won't accept the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I was in the passport office in Dublin last week to get my babys passport processed, at the moment the turn around time is 10 working days. The fee is 31 Euros and its valid for 3 years. My baby was born here, but I hold a UK passport, so I had to present my passport to the staff.
    As for her pictures, I took her into the camera shop (Pixels) besides M&S in town, where he took them and printed them straiaght away. He lies the baby on the counter on a white changing mat and stands on a ladder over the baby and takes the snaps.

chirogirl wrote: »
    I was in the passport office in Dublin last week to get my babys passport processed, at the moment the turn around time is 10 working days. The fee is 31 Euros and its valid for 3 years. My baby was born here, but I hold a UK passport, so I had to present my passport to the staff.
    As for her pictures, I took her into the camera shop (Pixels) besides M&S in town, where he took them and printed them straiaght away. He lies the baby on the counter on a white changing mat and stands on a ladder over the baby and takes the snaps.

Great reply, thanks, just what i need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

you'll also need proof of address i.e utility bill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I got my baby's passport done through the post office with Passport Express within 10 days, which I though was pretty quick, so fairplay to you lot that got them within a week.

The photo shouldn't be a problem -- I laid my then 4-week-old baby down on his bouncer with a white blanket covering the bouncer, took several photos ( I think about 30 in total hehe) with a digital cam and printed at the photo store whichever I thought was best in passport size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 niamhdp

Its still 10 working days at present.. just ensure you have all relevant documentation. Theres a very good notes page with the form, section 3 should tell u all u need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

The passport office in Cork have told me that a passport can be issued for a baby without a PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Along with photo's etc that I had to get to be able to apply for my passport, I had to get my birth cert. Thank god for the internet because I couldnt face a Q so I went on to www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie and they had the cert out to me within a couple of days. Anything that makes life easier is OK by me. I then sent in everything through the Post Office avoiding yet another Q!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Is that site official?

Thought the government on was www.certificates.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

I need to get my newborn son's passport sorted soon. I'm due to fly back to Abu Dhabi when he is 8 weeks old. I see someone has mentioned that both parents signatures are required on the application form but my husband is over there working. Will they accept only mine? His father is an Australian citizen if that makes any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I need to get my newborn son's passport sorted soon. I'm due to fly back to Abu Dhabi when he is 8 weeks old. I see someone has mentioned that both parents signatures are required on the application form but my husband is over there working. Will they accept only mine? His father is an Australian citizen if that makes any difference?

They require both parent's consent or a district court order if a parent isn't on the scene. We had to bring us + child + all documents to the Garda station for signing the form. I would ring them one Tues and ask what you need to do to get the passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

C
    They require both parent's consent or a district court order if a parent isn't on the scene. We had to bring us + child + all documents to the Garda station for signing the form. I would ring them one Tues and ask what you need to do to get the passport.

Also it is important to note that not all guards will witness the parents signature, we went to crumlin Garda with all documents but they wouldn't sign our signature as we were "not known to the witness" we got our solicitor to witness, a family doctor or cleric will do either. The guard then signed the babies photos and we eventually got it sent off on Saturday. Hoping to have it in 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anifah

Am just posting this to help some certain people about getting passport for newborn baby by a non EEA national resident in Ireland with stamp 4 for 3 or more than 3 years before having your baby.The best way to apply is by Ann post through passport express,i sent in my application on the Friday 7 June through passport express at the post and it was received on Monday 10 June and registered, i was tracking the application online and its was on Application has been received and has been registered for 11 working days and was changed to Application has been received and is being checked and was like that for 3working days then its changed to Approved on 27/06/2013 but the next morning which is today its changed to passport printed.so now am just expecting the passport to get here by monday lastest tuesday. I was so happy the application was never returned and said incomplete or so stamp is missing..tips i had to get my stamp record from the office of garda and include it in my application as its was said on the site that if the stamp on the passport is not really clear they will ask you to get the stamp record so i never waited for them to tell me to get before i got and sent it in.so all together its takes 15 working day to get ready excluding posting days so have it mind that its will more than 10 working days they said on the site.thanks hope this will help someone out someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Do i need to send my original Irish passport along with my child passport application? Can someone advise me on this.

Advertisement