Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<SNIP> Night Club: A Cashback Scam?

Options
  • 23-01-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I am still livid from an experience I had in <SNIP> Nightclub, Temple bar on Saturday night. The place was packed, bar was busy but that’s to be expected. I bought a round of drinks and paid by laser (not something I would regularly do) asking for 50 euro cashback. The barman gave me the drinks, a receipt from the till that said 29 euro and left the laser machine infront of me to put in my details. I did.

In the mean time, one of the lads came to help with the drinks, he did two trips and I was still waiting. Left there with the laser machine and my card in it. I’m giving the barman the benefit of the doubt at this point, as I said it was a busy night. However, he is off on the other side of the bar, out of sight and no sign of a return. I pull my receipt out from the laser machine and of course, I’d been charged for my cash back....but not given it. It took at least 10 minutes (seemed like an hour) for me to catch my Barman’s attention. When I did, he just put his hand in the till, gave me my 50 and disappeared. No eye contact, no apology – nothing.

He’s either
    - The most incompetent barman I have ever encountered
    - Or he’s running a con.

What’s worse is, he looked very experienced and has probably been there for years. Whilst I was sober, patrons have a right to be drunk and a right to pay for a drink with a card without having to actively seek out their cashback/change. I sought out the manager, found him at one point and was pawned off with something along the lines of “I have to see a customer, I’ll be back...”. He wasn’t.

Having shared this story with a number of colleagues, fellow teachers with active social lives, I’m surprised by the litany of similar tales.

Is this really a regular occurrence?
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement